[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Anil k Solanki

Like I said... 'Rom Manager' :D

Hi targetbsp, ROM manager is an ANDROID application UI front end for Clockwork Recovery, it's the same app different interface, both made by the same Dev, Koushik Dutta. You can't wipe ANYTHING in Rom Manger, you can only partition your SD card there. All wiping is done in recovery mode, so how you believe a user might get confused, confuses me. :)

Regards. Anil.

Guest sej7278

Hi targetbsp, I'm talking about the "Cache partition". What are you referring to? Because as you can clearly see from the screenshot, "wipe cache partition" is a separate option in Clockwork recovery so you can indeed wipe it separately from wiping data.

target is talking about the rommanager options not clockworkmod recovery. rommanager gives you the option to wipe dalvik or data+cache when flashing a rom, so the only way to wipe /cache is to wipe data too.

wiping /cache is complete bullshit, have you ever done an "ls" on what's in there?

# ls -lh /cache/*

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 184 Aug 2 12:11 /cache/dowipedalvikcache.sh (a shell script that wipe's any directory called "dalvik-cache" in the /data, /cache, /system, and /sd-ext partitions)

/cache/dalvik-cache: (empty, deprecated directory for dalvik cache, as its now in /data)

/cache/download:

-rw-r--r-- 1 app_19 app_19 1.4M Aug 2 21:07 downloadfile.apk (the last app update i got from the market)

/cache/lost+found: (empty, ext2 journal)

/cache/recovery:

-rw-r----- 1 root root 55.1K Aug 2 12:32 last_log (clockworkmod log file)

how is deleting any of that going to solve any problems?

Edited by sej7278

Guest targetbsp

Hi targetbsp, ROM manager is an ANDROID application UI front end for Clockwork Recovery, it's the same app different interface, both made by the same Dev, Koushik Dutta. You can't wipe ANYTHING in Rom Manger, you can only partition your SD card there. All wiping is done in recovery mode, so how you believe a user might get confused, confuses me. :)

Regards. Anil.

I think you;ve missed some of what Rom Manager does. :D It can download your rom for you, download gapps for you, reboot, optionally backup your current rom, optionally wipe things, install your rom, reboot again. All with just a couple of Android UI clicks - you just set it going in the morning and go make a cup of tea and when you come back you have a shiny new nightly. It's fantastic. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Anil k Solanki

wiping /cache is complete bullshit, have you ever done an "ls" on what's in there?

How about calming down?

how is deleting any of that going to solve any problems?

All I have ever said is "it can't hurt to wipe it." No more no less.

Forgive me for having an opinion. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

I think you;ve missed some of what Rom Manager does. :D It can download your rom for you, download gapps for you, reboot, optionally backup your current rom, optionally wipe things, install your rom, reboot again. All with just a couple of Android UI clicks - you just set it going in the morning and go make a cup of tea and when you come back you have a shiny new nightly. It's fantastic. :D

My bad, I forgot about the option to wipe when you download and install a ROM. I bought the premium version for automated back ups. Which I use everyday at 4am. :)

Anil.

Guest Ray-man

Hi Ray-man, at the very least if you're considering abandoning the whole thing, then I would consider doing this. Download N149 and Google apps again, I know it's a pain, then boot in to recovery mode and then factory reset your phone. You will lose personal data on the phone and SD card, so backup any stuff not synched with Google, pics, movies, music etc.Then Wipe the Dalvik cache, and the Cache partition. Then flash N149 and the immediately after flash Google apps. Reboot the phone, then immediately after turn off the phone and boot in to recovery again. This time go to "mounts and storage" then select "format /sdcard". After you've done that reboot.You now have a fresh install of Cyanogen and a fresh SD card. Log into Google, and leave the phone for 30 mins after entering your Google password. In that time the phone will sync with Google and download your apps and contacts etc. If you mess with it auto-sync doesn't seem to work, go figure.

This is a belt & braces method, which leaves nothing to chance. Some may argue some actions are redundant, I say you have nothing to lose, except for the 45 mins it would take in total. I make one big assumption here, I'm assuming under Menu>Settings>Account & sync you have auto sync enabled, and that if you select the account you are syncing, at the bottom of that screen. You have the relevant items selected.

If you have issues after this, I would suggest it is an app you've downloaded, or a flaky handset, or you're just unlucky. Either way, smartphones are part of our lives now. We all have to use them, so either, put a bit more time into ANDROID and get a better return on your investment. Or, get an iPhone/Win7/HP WebOS and start again.

Good luck. Anil.

Hi Anil,

That looks the same procedure that you kindly suggested previously. I followed everything in that (even found and wiped Dalvic cache!) but none of the roms I've tried give stable results on my phone. I will give it one more try as I don't like to admit defeat but along with the PC problems I had at the outset and the CM7 - BT Homehub 2 conflict it's getting to be a real pain.

Edit: Forgot to say that I do have auto sync enabled but haven't got anything to sync, this phone really was new when I started and hasn't even made a phone call yet!

Anyway, I appreciate all the help you provide.

Edited by Ray-man

Guest MidaMilunk

Did anyone encounter the problem that CM7 ROMs reboots deterministically when connecting a car charger (1000mA)? I have first seen this with N130, and it is also exists in 135 - I have not tried any newer.

Edited by MidaMilunk

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi Anil,

That looks the same procedure that you kindly suggested previously. I followed everything in that (even found and wiped Dalvic cache!) but none of the roms I've tried give stable results on my phone. I will give it one more try as I don't like to admit defeat but along with the PC problems I had at the outset and the CM7 - BT Homehub 2 conflict it's getting to be a real pain.

Hi Ray-man, I totally understand your frustration. But I'm pretty sure I haven't suggested you perform a factory reset before? But don't quote me on this. :)

bigkahoona_ea5e.gif

I will say this though, you've done a lot of learning in a short space of time, so well done on that score. I can't remember what your specific problems with ROM's have been, but, if your problems follow you from ROM to ROM, then I would say you have a handset fault.

One ROM I do know works perfectly is Swedish Spring RLS5. It's a Gen 1, Gen 2 ROM so it will work on your handset. I have used it and it's flawless, it is a Froyo 2.2 ROM, but my girlfriend has used it for over 4 months and she has never reported a problem.

All the best. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest targetbsp

Did anyone encounter the problem that CM7 ROMs reboots deterministically when connecting a car charger (1000mA)? I have first seen this with N130, and it is also exists in 135 - I have not tried any newer.

There was something wrong with N135. It reboots lots. Just search this thread for 'N135'. Later versions seem fine despite no obvious fixes . Maybe the build for N135 just went pear-shaped somewhere along the line? So whilst you had the issue with older versions, that specific one is definitely not a version to draw any conclusions regarding reboots.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest sej7278

No specific Blade fixes/updates in this build.

Official CM N151

lol, there's bugger all going on with the blade at the moment it seems :(

i wonder if the devs are waiting for the skate or the 2.6.35 kernel in september, they seem to be focusing on the v9 tablet at the moment.

Guest sambartle

Hi Anil,

Edit: Forgot to say that I do have auto sync enabled but haven't got anything to sync, this phone really was new when I started and hasn't even made a phone call yet!

I have to be honest I havent read back very far to try and figure out what the HH2 conflict you are having is.. But is it that you cant get a DHCP lease or connection back from it after the phones been to sleep?

Theres a thread over on the BT Community about it.. I'll dig it out for you if it is. I suggested a fix im almost sure would help but no one has looked into it/tried it enough last time i checked to see if it helps, it certainly works on linux pc's which is where they firtst noticed the issue.. (also its annoyingly sporadic as I have 2 HH1's, a couple of 2's and a HH3 and havent seen the issue on any of the though i did have a quick look at a friends HH2 which was displaying the problem)

Edited by sambartle

Guest dpjanda

This is driving me up the wall!

On #42 and all is well. However, just noticed today that I cannot lock the phone when the two are true:

1) 3G connection enabled

and ...

2) App (such as TuneIn, tTorrent) is using said 3G connection.

When I say I cannot lock the phone, I can, but a press of any of the three buttons will wake the screen up - which is not what I want.

I realise that I cannot have the phone sleep - as I am running an app, but I do want to be able to use a 3G app and "lock" the screen, only to be turned on when I press the power button.

Have gone through all the settings, but no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Guest Ray-man

I have to be honest I havent read back very far to try and figure out what the HH2 conflict you are having is.. But is it that you cant get a DHCP lease or connection back from it after the phones been to sleep?

Theres a thread over on the BT Community about it.. I'll dig it out for you if it is. I suggested a fix im almost sure would help but no one has looked into it/tried it enough last time i checked to see if it helps, it certainly works on linux pc's which is where they firtst noticed the issue.. (also its annoyingly sporadic as I have 2 HH1's, a couple of 2's and a HH3 and havent seen the issue on any of the though i did have a quick look at a friends HH2 which was displaying the problem)

Hi sambartle,

The problem is that I can't logon to my BTHH2 after upgrading from original stock Orange San Fran to any of the CM7 roms that I've tried, I get 'Obtaining IP Address' on the phone but it doesn't get any further and eventually times out. This is aparantly due to two things, a suspect BTHH firmware upgrade that they haven't fixed and a revised dhcp... whatever file in recent CM7 roms. wbaw kindly dug up a reference to a successful substitute (from the Orange rom I think) but although substituting the file was easy I haven't succeeded in re-zipping the rom properly so I can't try it out.

As an absolute newby to all of this it's been an uphill struggle so am seeking all the help I can get. Thanks for your interest.

lol, there's bugger all going on with the blade at the moment it seems :(

i wonder if the devs are waiting for the skate or the 2.6.35 kernel in september, they seem to be focusing on the v9 tablet at the moment.

But we have ZTE Libra with the same specification as Blade.Why we must wait for Skate?

Edited by Guest

Guest k0zmic

But we have ZTE Libra with the same specification as Blade.Why we must wait for Skate?

For teh source codez to be released for the .35 kernel.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest sej7278

libra is just a 2.2 blade, its still 2.6.32 kernel, not 2.6.35 like 2.3 skate.

we already has teh codez for 2.6.32 :D

by the sounds of it, zte has about a week to release teh sourcez if skate is due on the 12th - they did promise before september 1st....

Guest sm4tik

-snip-

wbaw kindly dug up a reference to a successful substitute (from the Orange rom I think) but although substituting the file was easy I haven't succeeded in re-zipping the rom properly so I can't try it out.

No need to unzip/rezip, just open your cm-whatever.zip file in your preferred zip manager and copy/paste your substitutes. Hope it helps :)

Guest Ray-man

No need to unzip/rezip, just open your cm-whatever.zip file in your preferred zip manager and copy/paste your substitutes. Hope it helps :)

Thanks sm4tik, I didn't know it could be opened without unzipping first so I'll give it a go.

Guest Clitheroe1

Hi Clitheroe1, there is no need to be envious, I'm sure you could improve your battery life by doing a few things. But first some proviso's.

1. I work from home, so most of the time I have a really strong Wi-Fi signal. The stronger the signal, be it Wi-Fi or cellular, the less work the radio's in your handset have to do, and the less power they have to use.
  2. I have my screen brightness set to around 20-25%.
  3. I have correctly calibrated my battery stats, this helps a lot, trust me.

I suggest starting by calibrating your battery stats. Use this app, charge the battery to 100%. Once it's completed reboot, and launch the battery app again, charge for another 2 hours, now hit the calibrate battery button in the app, not before.

Now comes the part I find most users simply don't do, the above procedure set's the 100% mark, now you have to set the 0% mark. This can be done easily, but the choice is yours. Simply keep using the handset until it turns itself off. On the way to 0% you will get two ANDROID warnings, one at 15%, and one at 5%, ignore these and continue using the phone until it goes dead. Or play a movie on loop, you decide.

You're done! Well, almost. Now charge your phone to 100% using the power adapter, not a USB port. Try this and see if your battery life doesn't improve. Just bear in mind, flashing a different ROM may mean you need to do the above procedure again. Cyanogen updates will be OK, (unless they change the Kernel).

I hope this helps you. But I will end with this, the consensus seems to be that Ginger Stir Fry has better battery life in general over Cyanogen. But fewer features, features I for one need. Built-in screen lock delay, built-in screenshots, you know the score. So you decide, if you can't get to a charge point before your handset dies then stick with Cyanogen, otherwise consider Ginger Stir Fry.

I hope this helps with your battery envy. :)

Anil.

Anil, thank you so much for your comprehsive reply, I really appreciate it.

I have recalibrated my battery and that hasn't made much difference. However, I think you identified the difference when you said you set your screen brightness to 20-25%. I need my screen much brighter than that or I can't see it clearly, so I have it set to at least 50%, sometimes more. That's almost certainly why I'm not achieving the impressive battery life that you get.

I'm grateful to you for helping me to identify the issue.

Guest mullen666

If you unzip/ extract it you will break it

open the file with your unzip software

drag and drop into it

there is no reason to rezip as you haven't actually unzipped it

I should probably have asked this first what operating system and zip software are you using?

Guest Anil k Solanki

Anil, thank you so much for your comprehsive reply, I really appreciate it.

I have recalibrated my battery and that hasn't made much difference. However, I think you identified the difference when you said you set your screen brightness to 20-25%. I need my screen much brighter than that or I can't see it clearly, so I have it set to at least 50%, sometimes more. That's almost certainly why I'm not achieving the impressive battery life that you get.

I'm grateful to you for helping me to identify the issue.

Hi Clitheroe1, you are welcome. Wi-Fi and the display can be big power consumers.

Regards. Anil.

Guest Ray-man

Thanks sm4tik, I didn't know it could be opened without unzipping first so I'll give it a go.

TIME TO BREAK OUT THE BUBBLY (Not that I like the stuff) I've done it and can now logon to my BT Homehub 2

Sincere thanks to wbaw, Anil K Solanski, sm4tik (last piece of the puzzle) and the many other members that have helped resolve my numerous problems, most of which were down to my lack of knowledge.

I used sm4tik's post, which allowed allowed me to substitute the dhcpcd file (downloaded via a link in the quote section of a wbaw post) into the latest CM 151 Nightly (downloaded via link in the lordofangels post), then followed the flash procedure in Anil S Solakski post. All posts are in this thread if anyone else has a similar problem and would like to give it a try.

I still don't know if everything's okay, and I've flashed a later rom than the one Anil suggested but after all the hurdles I've jumped (staggered over) to get this far I decided to just go for it! - NOT BAD FOR A RETIRED OLD FART!

Anyway, I'm going to spend some time getting to know the phone from the outside now, and maybe even try making the first phone call on it - Wow!

Good luck and many thanks.

Edit: I've just tried to locate the post where I found the link to download the substitute dhcpcd file but couldn't find it. It may have been removed to avoid rogue roms getting distributed so unless you know where to find it you're stuck. I can understand the logic (if it has been removed) and fully support that decision so please don't ask me to post the modified rom that I've created, sorry.

Edited by Ray-man

Guest sej7278

I used sm4tik's post, which allowed allowed me to substitute the dhcpcd file (downloaded via a link in the quote section of a wbaw post) into the latest CM 151 Nightly (downloaded via link in the lordofangels post), then followed the flash procedure in Anil S Solakski post. All posts are in this thread if anyone else has a similar problem and would like to give it a try.

where's this dhcpd file then? where does it need to be copied to? i can probably make a flashable zip if it effects lots of people.....

fecking home hubs, my business hub doesn't have a problem.

what's the problem - is it the infinite lease thing? can't we fix it in the source, which i assume lives at external/busybox/networking/udhcp/dhcpd.c

i can't seem to find any bug reports about dhcp on the issues tracker.....?

Edited by sej7278

Guest Ray-man

where's this dhcpd file then? where does it need to be copied to? i can probably make a flashable zip if it effects lots of people.....

fecking home hubs, my business hub doesn't have a problem.

what's the problem - is it the infinite lease thing? can't we fix it in the source, which i assume lives at external/busybox/networking/udhcp/dhcpd.c

Hi sej7278,

I've just edited that post as I couldn't find the dchpcd download link when I checked and thought it may have been removed to avoid rogue roms being circulated. Sorry to ask and no offence intended, but I don't know your pedigree within MoDaCo and am not sure of the forum policy on this so do you have (or need) authority to make this widly available? I'll happily provide the file I downloaded if it's permitted.