[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest The_Duck

I got my Tablet the other day (Transformer, like many others here), cheapest version - no 3g,

so I tried wifi tethering the first time with CM.

Before (froyo) I occasionally tethered it to my laptop and it worked great.

But now I found out, that the wifi-AP turns off everyone the display goes off.

I know it's the wifi that drops, as the tablet looses connection immediately.

It's not the data connection, as it was mentioned in an old CM issue, for 7.0.0RC. Background syncing works fine of course.

However, it's not that simple blade wifi problem, as tethering has worked flawlessly with MCR Froyo!

In CM something seems to be missing that should keep the system alive.

Is this a known problem for CM blade?

As the transformer has no usb port without its dock, I cannot use usb-tethering and I'm not sure if Honeycomb supports this.

Well maybe the wifi fix could help here also, but I had the reconnect issues with MCR too and there tethering went fine...

Greetz

Your behaviour is exactly the same as what I see with the same hardware and build etc.

I have the TF101 and when in Tablet setup, I use WiFi hotspot on the Blade to get a connection while out and about. I also have the dock and carry a short USB to MicroUSB cable to USB tether. Either way I have noticed that having both WiFi and 3G/HSDPA on together and being used for browsing sucks the juice out of the Blade in VERY short order. Also the back next to the camera gets pretty warm !!

If I am USB tethering, my docking station battery drains in about 1-2 hours compared to running videos thru MoBo Player which gives me 5-7 hours watch time.

To resolve some of my issues I have set my screen timeout on the Blade to 10 mins and when on USB or mains to never sleep. Periodically I will touch the screen to keep it awake.

Some one suggested Ginger Stir Fry as being a better option for this mode of usage, and I think after some of the petty comments over the last 24 or so hours, I may just give it a crack.

I am sure I will be back to CM7 at some stage tho.

Duck

PLEASE read http://android.modaco.com/topic/332590-themes-cyanogenmod-7/page__view__findpost__p__1786130

I realy like this rom , but I want to change some settings from the Honeycream theme because it's almost unreadable in daylight.

It's a "market" apk download , so I don't have the APK file , and don't know where it is stored on my phone , and IF there's a way to get it to pc.

I tried a downloaded apk , but it gives only errors ,so think it's wrong (old) version.

I tried UOT kitchen , but that doesn't work either.

ARE UOT kitchen zip files working ?

If so ... it seems you can search the internet for days to end with NOTHING :o

I'll try to make my own theme with UOT now , but I suppose it will not work .

Next try NOW ...

Uploaded Cyanbread.apk to kitchen ... edited everything I wanted.

Flashed the UOT zip file ... NOTHING changed !

Theming (and editing the themes) from other roms (NOT CM) was very easy I must say ... any other rom !

Tried the apk from inside the UOT zip file ... error on theme chooser. :angry:

Chuch a NICE theme ... only 1 thing to change and it doesn't work ... I hate it when something isn't working after trying for 2 days.

I'm not used to have to trie that long btw.

Edited by Kuoi

Guest androrphin

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone may have a simple fix for this.

It seems almost like my Blade has been de-Googled.

When I log into the Market on a PC, it still shows that I have a ZTE Blade in my profile, alongside my ASUS Tablet which I got a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure that I still had green icon's a few days ago, so I don't believe the Transformer is the cause.

I have tried flashing and re-flashing the last few nightlies including clearing cache and Dalvik (currently on N165). I have NOT yet tried a full wipe and re-install, as this for me will be the last option.

Any thoughts ?

Duck

I had this exact same problem. It turned out that for some reason some of my Google core apps and services had not been restarted on reboot (or had been deleted). Luckily I could restore them from Titanium Backup. I could then add my Google account and resync.

Hope this helps.

Guest twelfd

Your behaviour is exactly the same as what I see with the same hardware and build etc.

I have the TF101 and when in Tablet setup, I use WiFi hotspot on the Blade to get a connection while out and about. I also have the dock and carry a short USB to MicroUSB cable to USB tether. Either way I have noticed that having both WiFi and 3G/HSDPA on together and being used for browsing sucks the juice out of the Blade in VERY short order. Also the back next to the camera gets pretty warm !!

If I am USB tethering, my docking station battery drains in about 1-2 hours compared to running videos thru MoBo Player which gives me 5-7 hours watch time.

To resolve some of my issues I have set my screen timeout on the Blade to 10 mins and when on USB or mains to never sleep. Periodically I will touch the screen to keep it awake.

Some one suggested Ginger Stir Fry as being a better option for this mode of usage, and I think after some of the petty comments over the last 24 or so hours, I may just give it a crack.

I am sure I will be back to CM7 at some stage tho.

Duck

Try regpon wifi keepalive from the market (free), works for me

Guest The_Duck

I had this exact same problem. It turned out that for some reason some of my Google core apps and services had not been restarted on reboot (or had been deleted). Luckily I could restore them from Titanium Backup. I could then add my Google account and resync.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm, not sure how to manually start them. I re-started my handset a few times but no change. When I tried to sync my SMS, MMS and Call Logs I got prompted to set up my Google account. There was nothing I was able to do before to get the phone to allow me to add a Google account.

I have installed GSF today and everything seems to be OK, ie able to login to Google. I am sure that if I had done the same thing with CM7, the result would have been the same but I would like to see what GSF is like for stability and battery usage etc.

So far so good.

Duck

Guest Malfis

Hi, where do I get those patches? Wifi, GPS, Kernel, Proximity etc... Are somewhere completed zips for flash or do i have to compile them myself? Ty

Guest targetbsp

You might have to be more specific about which patches you're referring to... :)

A fix for wifi reconnecting is linked at the top of the page. But it's a prebuilt developers rom that's likely to have other issues. It also has a proximity calibration add-on included. I don't know if that's what you mean by proximity patch? It's also included in N161+ by Sej: http://www.the-jedi.co.uk/downloads/cm7/

I'm not aware of any kernel patches? Nor any new GPS patches. There's KK's old GPS reboot patch but as my GPS works I have no idea where to get it - hopefully someone else does if that's what you need?

Generally, any patches that work will eventually find themselves into new nightlies (with the notable exception of KK's GPS fix). So unless you have a specific problem there's no point in going out of your way to get them.

What issue specifically are you trying to overcome?

Edited by targetbsp

Guest kol0bok

There's no changelogs anymore in the nightlies.

Any reason ?

Running CM7 N168

Just have a look at the patch tracker. I think the appspot page filters news to what's specific to blade or belongs to the general android parts, and no such changes were made in the last days.

Guest rockstarszzzz

Here's a link to the merged fixes.: http://review.cyanog...atus:merged,n,z

As said above and as you can see, everything merged over the past few days has been device specific for other devices.

Guys before I give up completely on CM7 (once again!) I thought I will share my concern with you faithful CM7ers.

I am not going to compare any ROMs, but after 3 cycles of battery calibrations on CM7 N166 (was a very clean install - all wiped, all formated including sd card) I am still struggling to get anything more than 8-10 hours!

I have not many apps installed yet. It's out-of-the-box CM7 N166 + Gapps from ROM Manager (only Maps, Twitter, G+).

Is my battery dying on me? I had MCSF installed on my blade before this and I had excellent signal as well as battery life (approx 36-38) hours.

My usage pattern is still the same only that I have less apps installed and should ideally help me to save battery, but doesn't do so.

Anyone had any issues with CM7 (any nightly) and did you successfully find a way around it?

I am giving 4th cycle a try, if not, probably SSRL5 from next week :(

Guest dnaumov

I am using a Nightly from 16.7, don't remember the number off the top of my head and it's working fantastic. After going through dozens of various CM builds, this one is something that has not given me ANY issues whatsoever and my battery life is finally fairly decent, I easily get about 3 days worth of it with my usage patterns. So the question is, what major changes have there been since 16.7 and is it worth updating to the latest ones? Or have there been making major breaks yet again and I should be expecting to go through another dozen builds until I get to the point of stability where I am right now already?

Guest targetbsp

Guys before I give up completely on CM7 (once again!) I thought I will share my concern with you faithful CM7ers.

I am not going to compare any ROMs, but after 3 cycles of battery calibrations on CM7 N166 (was a very clean install - all wiped, all formated including sd card) I am still struggling to get anything more than 8-10 hours!

I have not many apps installed yet. It's out-of-the-box CM7 N166 + Gapps from ROM Manager (only Maps, Twitter, G+).

Is my battery dying on me? I had MCSF installed on my blade before this and I had excellent signal as well as battery life (approx 36-38) hours.

My usage pattern is still the same only that I have less apps installed and should ideally help me to save battery, but doesn't do so.

Anyone had any issues with CM7 (any nightly) and did you successfully find a way around it?

I am giving 4th cycle a try, if not, probably SSRL5 from next week :(

I appreciate this doesn't much help you, but with the exception of actually broken CM7's that have had battery drain bugs (and there have been a few) I haven't noticed any particular battery life difference in any rom ever. Stock, all the gen 1 Froyos, Cm7, GSF... :)

My usage is probably unusual though in that I do go to some effort to have an efficient rom. I uninstall about 30 apk's from system of all the roms of stuff I don't want. I then use Autostarts to stop a dozen more from loading until I want them to. So if there's a difference in the roms, it's apparently in something I get rid of cause I don't use it. :D

This isn't because I'm aware of a particular issue, I just like lean OS's. My Windows install is similar! I only have 3 things autorunning in msconfig, I have numerous services I don't use shut down etc.

People have noted over the past couple of days that the Gapps are quite guilty of battery drain. Maps, Plus, Reader. Personally I have maps stopped in Autostart until I use it, I use the mobile Reader site cause it;s exactly the same as the app and I don't use Plus.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest LorianNod

Wifi reconnects seem now 100% reliable and much quicker since I flashed Tom's build with the wifi reconnect patch in it. Looking forward to this being submitted/merged.

And although GPS works in the latest nightlies I still find using the old GPS patch (KK) improves performance.

i've been using this rom (CM) for quite a while. before going on holiday, i flashed on my phone the N142+ by sej. after a bit of use, i discovered that if i have enabled "background data" in android settings and i don't have data trasmission enabled (i.e. i'm in airplane mode, on roaming or i disabled it in the options) the phone is INCREDIBLY slow. it takes ages to write an sms, go through panels, etc. this can be resolved by disabling background data, but it's quite a pain to do it everytime. is this a know bug/is there a soultion to this?

thanks

Guest targetbsp

The fault probably lies in one of your apps trying to use background data whilst it can't and not handling it properly. I have background data ticked all the time and am often in airplane mode with no issues.

so do i have to find the faulty app? the only method i can think is to uninstall each app and see if it fixes: it will take ages..

Edited by Ficus

Guest sej7278

so do i have to find the faulty app? the only method i can think is to uninstall each app and see if it fixes: it will take ages..

have a look at the running apps first, try killing them and seeing at which point the slowdown stops.

i'd have a look at google-reader and google-maps first lol, the usual suspects when something odd happens with sync.

Guest targetbsp

Some apps have an annoying habit of restarting if you try and kill them so you might also find the freeze option in Titanium useful. It will have the advantage of not losing your app data unlike uninstalling. Don't freeze/uninstall system apps though (the green and red ones) unless you know what you're doing!

Guest sej7278

anyone seen the erro "process com.android.media has stopped unexpectedly" ?

my sister's blade has got it suddenly - she thinks it happened when a facebook update was half done when her battery ran out. she tried clearing the download manager data like most google searches on the subject say, made no difference, fixed permissions, tried a non-3g sim and she even wiped the sd card now.

next step is to wipe data, re-rom it and maybe try a new sdcard, but before she tries that, has anyone got any less drastic ideas?

anyone seen the erro "process com.android.media has stopped unexpectedly" ?

my sister's blade has got it suddenly - she thinks it happened when a facebook update was half done when her battery ran out. she tried clearing the download manager data like most google searches on the subject say, made no difference, fixed permissions, tried a non-3g sim and she even wiped the sd card now.

next step is to wipe data, re-rom it and maybe try a new sdcard, but before she tries that, has anyone got any less drastic ideas?

use adb logcat to find out what happens when the crash occur, the last time i had this the problem was a faulty database i had to delete.

Edited by fldc

Guest sej7278

use adb logcat to find out what happens when the crash occur, the last time i had this the problem was a faulty database i had to delete.

cheers. i think she's fixed it by flashing n169 and replacing the sd card. time to show her how to do a nandroid methinks :D