[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest Ginginox

Hi guys!

I have some questions: my phone is GEN2, so i never change the partitions before..i'm running an old nightles, and now i want to try the last kang.

1. I have to change the partition with wbaws guide ( gen1-to-gen2-tpt-v9-custom )?
  2. If i'll not like the kang rom, can i restore the clockworkmod's backup of my old nightles or i have to re-change the partition of the phone before? And in this case, where i can find the original partition size of my GEN2 phone?

Thanks guys!!:D

Hi guys!

I have some questions: my phone is GEN2, so i never change the partitions before..i'm running an old nightles, and now i want to try the last kang.

1. I have to change the partition with wbaws guide ( gen1-to-gen2-tpt-v9-custom )?
  2. If i'll not like the kang rom, can i restore the clockworkmod's backup of my old nightles or i have to re-change the partition of the phone before? And in this case, where i can find the original partition size of my GEN2 phone?

Thanks guys!!:D

I installed sej's build with patch7 yesterday. I wanted to use a different partition layout than the original gen2 , so I just flashed the v7b firmware (160mb system partition) . Installing the ROM was just as before. You don't have to use wbaw's guide gen1-to-gen2 . There is a thread for installing firmwares with custom partitions and ROMs. Here it is

Guest Ginginox

I installed sej's build with patch7 yesterday. I wanted to use a different partition layout than the original gen2 , so I just flashed the v7b firmware (160mb system partition) . Installing the ROM was just as before. You don't have to use wbaw's guide gen1-to-gen2 . There is a thread for installing firmwares with custom partitions and ROMs. Here it is

Thank you pril3pa!!

I haven't see that topic before..:P

Guest solidslash

I just flashed p7 and.. it's lovely! Quick and snappy, just as GSF.

One question, though. The default CPU governor was set to INTERACTIVE, is it really the best one in terms in overall performance/battery power? Or should I use smartass or ondemand?

Guest arkannis

Just to report a "not so random" shutdown situation, using p7.

When i connect to a wifi network that is fairly unstable (router problem, it frequently drops the connection and connects again a moment after), after a while the phone just freezes, the screen turns black and i cant shutdown, do anything at all, or turn on the phone. I have to remove the battery in order to reboot.

I know the problem is in my router, but there must be also a problem in the rom because it shouldnt just freeze like that.

Other than this, the rom is very good, no more random shutdowns and it is very smooth and stable.

I am having some kinds of problems with wireless, when the connection drops, sometimes I have to switch the wifi off and then on for me to connect.

Anyone having the same problems ?I am using P7.

I just flashed p7 and.. it's lovely! Quick and snappy, just as GSF.

One question, though. The default CPU governor was set to INTERACTIVE, is it really the best one in terms in overall performance/battery power? Or should I use smartass or ondemand?

From my understanding , smartass is the updated version of interactive. It doesn't take samples of the CPU load after unlocking - it just ramps the CPU to a decent clock and then starts the sampling/scaling based on the usage. It would be better if more people tell what governer they use and what performance/battery life they get.

Has anyone tried disabling surface dithering ? Is there any noticeable difference while scrolling and etc ?

Just to report a "not so random" shutdown situation, using p7.

When i connect to a wifi network that is fairly unstable (router problem, it frequently drops the connection and connects again a moment after), after a while the phone just freezes, the screen turns black and i cant shutdown, do anything at all, or turn on the phone. I have to remove the battery in order to reboot.

I know the problem is in my router, but there must be also a problem in the rom because it shouldnt just freeze like that.

Other than this, the rom is very good, no more random shutdowns and it is very smooth and stable.

Please provide a log, so the issue can be isolated and fixed.

Patchset 7 works all right, aparat from weird wakeup issues - phone sometimes won't wake up from sleep, but it will after several minutes. When phone can't be woken up, conecting the charger results in reboot.

Guest Mikko Rantalainen

Ahm jup, just noticed them today.. weird thing this is. I was wondering, if its been the new update that broke it.

I have tested "Business Calendar Free" (latest version) with HTC Desire Z on stock firmware and it works correctly. I would guess something wrong with 2d display driver on p7.

Guest targetbsp

I can't imagine why you'd want to turn it off. It makes apps faster (java based ones anyway)

Maybe if you were an app developer and wanted to see how your app performed on Android 2.1 before Android had a JIT you'd turn it off?

Guest hugobosslives

From my understanding , smartass is the updated version of interactive. It doesn't take samples of the CPU load after unlocking - it just ramps the CPU to a decent clock and then starts the sampling/scaling based on the usage. It would be better if more people tell what governer they use and what performance/battery life they get.

Has anyone tried disabling surface dithering ? Is there any noticeable difference while scrolling and etc ?

yer. i always have it disabled. is much better preformance wise.

Is it recommended to leave the JIT compiler ON ?

on.

as the above post says. it is a good improvement to the OS

Guest Cyclothunder

Hi all,

Yesterday wiped everything and formatted my SD-card and patched Sej's Kang P7. So far i have one problem that is when i press the home button it wakes the phone. I think this means that the phone is not going to deep sleep. What can i do to solve this?

Guest Kamikaze.

How does the new Nightly work? Back in my CM days, i got tired for all the annoying bugs, like reboot issues etc. Also I hated when my games didnt actually work(For example, in Angry Birds, I couldn't see the pigs. Same thing happened in every game, in their own way.) Also, widgets disappeared always after reboot.

Are these bugs fixed or do they still exist?

I'm missing themes and my bottom status bar :(

And does this P7 thing work on N206??

Edited by Kamikaze.

Guest targetbsp

Widgets disappear after reboot if the app containing the widget is installed on SD card. That's an Android restriction - not the rom. I suspect the problem is this rom over-rides the app developer and will let you move anything you choose to the SD card whereas other roms won't. But as long as you know not to move apps whose widgets you use, you should be fine. Also don't move your launcher or keyboard.

Aside from the GPS (which is now fixed I believe) there hasn't been any reboot issues in months.

I've never had any gaming issues (and I have 45 games!) so I can't comment on that.

P7 is patchset 7 of the new gingerbread kernel. It's not merged yet and is in code review. There exists a pre-compiled version of it courtesy of sej: http://www.the-jedi.co.uk/downloads/cm7/ This is a complete rom - unrelated to N206.

Edited by targetbsp

Widgets disappear after reboot if the app containing the widget is installed on SD card. That's an Android restriction - not the rom. I suspect the problem is this rom over-rides the app developer and will let you move anything you choose to the SD card whereas other roms won't. But as long as you know not to move apps whose widgets you use, you should be fine. Also don't move your launcher or keyboard.

Hi targetbsp

I have "Allow application move" selected in CM7 settings but am not able to move certain applications, in particular "Maps".

Any idea why this might be so?

Cheers, Paul

Guest Kamikaze.

Ok, flashed N206... Looks good, but not nearly as stable as GSF. Still, I just can't live without CM-goodies! I just keep coming back to this rom. I hope the next stabe will be out soon.