[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest targetbsp

my settings too ;)

I had always stability issues with frequencies higher than 691MHz, but two weeks ago I've tested 729MHz and it is stable. Maybe there was some change in kernel or my blade is getting faster and faster ;)

Yeah I had that a while back. Not sure when it happened but I was able to move up from 711 to 729.

Guest Amphoras

why do people use s2e and a2sd etc; when cm7 has all of that built-in?

i could understand it on 2.2 as the sdcard support was pretty useless as the app had to support moving, but in 2.3 the os can move things even if the app doesn't support it.

The built in apps 2 sd in CM7 moves things to the fat partition of the sdcard. When an app gets moved here, a little bit of the app and the data gets left behind. This means eventually you will still run out of space on the internal memory. Some apps also don't react well when put on the fat partition.

With S2E or other similar ones, the apps get moved to the ext partition. This allows the entire app and all its data to be moved. This means you still have all your internal memory free, so can fill the entire ext partition before you start running out of space. With S2E (dunno about any others), you can also move dalvik cache to the ext partition, which saves an extra 129MB on my phone.

Guest emc02

CM9 is smoother than GB and that Coldfusion version is fast and stable - but it has a collection of known bugs....

I dont think CM9 is smoother than CM7 atm, because when i switch back to CM7 it feels much smoother ;)

video and flash support is important to me and I think that would take long time to be supported in CM9

Guest sej7278

My impressions are that SmartassV2 is less battery friendly than OnDemand. Those are just impressions though, no real tests.

i seem to recall reading that smartassV2 is less overclocking friendly as it ramps up/down quite severely.

when i used to overclock i used ondemand and would get occasional reboots at 710mhz, but never really proved if it was the overclocking or messing with kernels. that said, now i don't overclock i never get reboots.

Guest Master One
Well... my input is that using an Android phone without gapps is borderline insanity but... :D

Lots of apps don't work on ICS even with a mini gapps - never mind without them. The gapps include lots of libraries that apps require to work - not just market and maps etc.

CM9 is smoother than GB and that Coldfusion version is fast and stable - but it has a collection of known bugs. Basically it's perfectly usable as a day to day rom if none of the known bugs affect you. I mostly came back to CM7 to test the new kernel. I'll switch back to Coldfusion with its next update. I just like new stuff. :D

I just read the review of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and it suggests that most GB apps run on ICS without problems, so I guess any apps that run on CM7 without GAPPS will run on ICS without GAPPS as well.

I know, that the idea of running Android without GAPPS does not go well with most users, but I just can not get over the idea of sharing any data with Google, so without GAPPS it is. If Amazon can do it with the Kindle Fire, I can do it with the Blade as well. :P

Guest targetbsp

Anything that supports knowing your location (even if you don't use that feature) won't work. tasker, browsers, whatsapp, probably any kind of social app.

Guest Master One

I have not used that many apps by now, and I only found two which would not even install without GAPPS present (namely QR Droid & Adaffix).

So is there really a difference with GAPPS present/absent between GB & ICS?

Guest Pondlife
I have not used that many apps by now, and I only found two which would not even install without GAPPS present (namely QR Droid & Adaffix).

So is there really a difference with GAPPS present/absent between GB & ICS?

Judging by the amount that wouldn't install on ICS with a partial let alone no gapps yep but your mileage may vary I guess.

All seems rather off topic tbh.

And just back up current rom and give it a go if you want to play with the idea. On plus side without gapps if you remove the videos from zip it should easily fit in current partitions you have.

Edited by Pondlife

Guest Master One

Sorry for going OT, but here is where all the people with the necessary knowledge hang out ;)

Before I do something stupid: If I create a backup with CWM on my actual partition layout (160MB system / 2MB cache / rest data), TPT to 200MB system / 2MB cache / rest data for trying CM9, do I have to go back to the previous partition layout to restore that backup, or can I stay with the new partition layout?

Guest targetbsp

if you;re not having the gapps, you won't need to re-partition. At the moment I'm working on a gapps installer that will fit in 160 with the rom. You'll easy fit in 160 without it.

Guest Pondlife
Before I do something stupid: If I create a backup with CWM on my actual partition layout (160MB system / 2MB cache / rest data), TPT to 200MB system / 2MB cache / rest data for trying CM9, do I have to go back to the previous partition layout to restore that backup, or can I stay with the new partition layout?

My prior cwm backups didn't work til I TPT'd to more similar sizes of partitions although didn't have to be same size. Might well depend on how much space you have on data partition. As you aren't using gaaps it should fit in current partitions which makes things easier.

Guest Master One

Ok, I'll give it a try with my 160MB system then.

Nevertheless, could someone please upload the actual version of TPT Helper somewhere, just in case? I still have Market on my SE X10 mini pro installed, but as expected it doesn't show up there.

Guest targetbsp

Here you go:

I did manage to fit it inside 160mb btw for anyone that wants to play with ICS without mucking about with tpt's:

As Pondlife says, we have gone quite far off topic here - sorry all! So please keep any questions about fitting gapps inside 160mb in the coldfusion thread. I do read both this and that thread to keep up to date no matter which of the two I currently have installed. :)

Guest saransh9

I've added the GPU/OXI patch to the old Turies based source that I've been using. After series of AnTuTu test I get consistently around 20 points more with the GPU overclocking. So we're talking about 1-2% difference. I really don't play any games, so I have no idea how it performs there (if that is considered 'real life' ;)).

Interesting part is that when I used a kernel based on the new source (burstlam's, compiled from wbaw source) I get consistently 120-150 points less than using the old Turies source. That seems significant and can't be explained only by margin of error.

Haven't tested Tom G's kernel and these tests weren't done using CM7, so I might have wandered into wrong thread... :P

Actually we were discussing this with wbaw on xda and the net result was that antutu doesn't measure gpu performance correctly.

I'm using wbaw's kernel and the performance has increased quite a bit in games and games have become smooth.

Take the example of gt racing which used to lag and now it's Smooth

Edited by saransh9

Guest sm4tik

I've added the GPU/OXI patch to the old Turies based source that I've been using. After series of AnTuTu test I get consistently around 20 points more with the GPU overclocking. So we're talking about 1-2% difference. I really don't play any games, so I have no idea how it performs there (if that is considered 'real life' ;)).

Interesting part is that when I used a kernel based on the new source (burstlam's, compiled from wbaw source) I get consistently 120-150 points less than using the old Turies source. That seems significant and can't be explained only by margin of error.

Haven't tested Tom G's kernel and these tests weren't done using CM7, so I might have wandered into wrong thread... :P

The >100 points less was what I got when testing it and actually noticed a drop in performance (..or maybe it was a placebo after seeing antutu scores ;) ). I've actually built my current kernel from burstlam's turies source so maybe I'll test yours after I get the rom compiled first.

edit: reading the above, it just might've been a placebo :P

Has anyone seen this?

Exception in thread main java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/objectweb/asm/ClassVisitor

at com.android.tools.layoutlib.create.Main.main(Main.java:66)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.objectweb.asm.ClassVisitor

at java.net.URLClassLoader.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)

at sun.misc.Launcher.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)

... 1 more

make: *** [out/host/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/temp_layoutlib_intermediates/javalib.jar] Error 1

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

This is what I get when trying to build with a 64bit archlinux install. Tried google with no obvious solutions. Maybe I'm missing some deps (java-libs?), but I've no idea what? I switched from openjdk6 to jdk6 and jre6 but it made no difference. If I restart the compilation after that error, I get a bit further but it happens again later in the process.

Edited by sm4tik

Guest alexchester

I install update-cm-7-20120226-NIGHTLY-blade-signed.zip, and when i turn on wi-fi, bluetooth doesn't work. When turn off wi fi, bluetooth works fine. How i can fixed it?

Guest KonstaT

Actually we were discussing this with wbaw on xda and the net result was that antutu doesn't measure gpu performance correctly.

I'm using wbaw's kernel and the performance has increased quite a bit in games and games have become smooth.

Take the example of gt racing which used to lag and now it's Smooth

I wasn't just talking about GPU performance and both kernels that I was talking about have the GPU/AXI patch included anyway. I was saying that using the new code base gives me significantly lower scores on AnTuTu. I don't know how correctly AnTuTu measures gpu performance and I usually don't emphasize bench scores, but the results using both kernels are consistent.

Something in this commit makes my AnTuTu scores drop ~10%. It really doesn't make much sense to me because those are mainly touchscreen/camera/sensor drivers etc.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Ray-man

Hi All,

I recently TPT'd (160Mb partition) and flashed one of burstlams recent builds (N353X...) to my OSF but didn't update the gapps that are from last July. Should that be updated as well, if so could someone please let me know the correct one - with a link if possible. Thanks.

Guest targetbsp

Adreno's Neocore benchmarks absolutely identical in the new CM7 kernel to the previous one. Do we knwo for sure that it has GPU overclocking though? It's not mentioned on gerrit.

Guest saransh9

Adreno's Neocore benchmarks absolutely identical in the new CM7 kernel to the previous one. Do we knwo for sure that it has GPU overclocking though? It's not mentioned on gerrit.

I don't know if there is a way to check this out except to pay games btw I have not tried any of the new nighties but use wbaw's kernel.