Help guys just bought new vega - Anyhelp please

Guest maverick6378

Guest maverick6378

Hi Guys,

Just bought the missus a new vega for her b-day, :D although I have been using it mostly LOL.

Kinda new to android, first had Orange San Francisco and learnt quite a bit on that, now I have a HTC desire and i'm running Miui which is awesome and custom kernel, just asked XJ on XDA if Miui would come on the vega or any other Tab but looks very unlikely damn!, getting quadrant scored of around 2500 on my desire and battery lasting well over a week!.

Anyways first Tab so slightly different to phones, I've managed to root, install CWR would have preferred amon ra but believe this is unavailable for the Vega please correct me if im wrong and I installed Paul's rom, which works really well, fiddled about with the startup boot and used a prog called system absolute system root, installed a boot screen but it looks crap only small amount of screen used, I've pulled the framwork-res.apk and put another png in the zip and pushed it back, but no matter what i still get the crappy boot animation, I've also uninstalled absolute system root but still it remains.

So was going to install Pauls rom all over again, also wanted some advice on how to partition the 16gb class 6 SD card I've got, on my desire I use FAT 32 6gb ext 3 1.5gb and 500mb swap, whats the best way to partition the card to use A2SD?.

Also does it make a difference that the vega was firstly updated to 1.09 on myadventvega site?, do I just wipe everything in CWR i.e dalvik, userdata etc etc and just install Pauls rom again?.

Finally my missus tried to do a Asda shop on the vega using the normal browser and the miren browser but it wouldnt allow her to scroll up and down, other websites are fine anyone now of a browser compatible with asda?.

Sorry for all the questions guys and help much appreciated.

Thanks

Mav

Guest simonta
Hi Guys,

Just bought the missus a new vega for her b-day, :D although I have been using it mostly LOL.

Kinda new to android, first had Orange San Francisco and learnt quite a bit on that, now I have a HTC desire and i'm running Miui which is awesome and custom kernel, just asked XJ on XDA if Miui would come on the vega or any other Tab but looks very unlikely damn!, getting quadrant scored of around 2500 on my desire and battery lasting well over a week!.

Anyways first Tab so slightly different to phones, I've managed to root, install CWR would have preferred amon ra but believe this is unavailable for the Vega please correct me if im wrong and I installed Paul's rom, which works really well, fiddled about with the startup boot and used a prog called system absolute system root, installed a boot screen but it looks crap only small amount of screen used, I've pulled the framwork-res.apk and put another png in the zip and pushed it back, but no matter what i still get the crappy boot animation, I've also uninstalled absolute system root but still it remains.

So was going to install Pauls rom all over again, also wanted some advice on how to partition the 16gb class 6 SD card I've got, on my desire I use FAT 32 6gb ext 3 1.5gb and 500mb swap, whats the best way to partition the card to use A2SD?.

Also does it make a difference that the vega was firstly updated to 1.09 on myadventvega site?, do I just wipe everything in CWR i.e dalvik, userdata etc etc and just install Pauls rom again?.

Finally my missus tried to do a Asda shop on the vega using the normal browser and the miren browser but it wouldnt allow her to scroll up and down, other websites are fine anyone now of a browser compatible with asda?.

Sorry for all the questions guys and help much appreciated.

Thanks

Mav

Watcha

Also prefer amon but not available for Tegras sadly. Boot animation is a separate ZIP outside the framework, there's a thread with an example already on here somewhere. Partitioning looks good except it doesn't add up to 16GB :D. 1.5GB should be more than enough for apps but I recommend that you check out link2sd rather than app2sd. Paul has it baked into his ROM. Actually, on this point, ROM is a misnomer. It's an addon so to answer you remaining question, mcr can be installed over any stock ROM. You only need to wipe first if you've moved cache and/or dalvik cache to the SD because a ROM flash will leave them untouched.

Finally, there's a problem with browsing some pages in the webkit so therefore all current browsers, AFAIK, are affected. Only a complete development not using webkit, which wouldn't make sense for lots of other reasons, would address this. Workaround in most browsers is to pinch zoom, even a little, before scrolling.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Guest maverick6378
Watcha

Also prefer amon but not available for Tegras sadly. Boot animation is a separate ZIP outside the framework, there's a thread with an example already on here somewhere. Partitioning looks good except it doesn't add up to 16GB :D. 1.5GB should be more than enough for apps but I recommend that you check out link2sd rather than app2sd. Paul has it baked into his ROM. Actually, on this point, ROM is a misnomer. It's an addon so to answer you remaining question, mcr can be installed over any stock ROM. You only need to wipe first if you've moved cache and/or dalvik cache to the SD because a ROM flash will leave them untouched.

Finally, there's a problem with browsing some pages in the webkit so therefore all current browsers, AFAIK, are affected. Only a complete development not using webkit, which wouldn't make sense for lots of other reasons, would address this. Workaround in most browsers is to pinch zoom, even a little, before scrolling.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Hi Simonta,

Thanks for the reply, didn't realise that the MCR rom was an add-on thought it was a full rom, will read up about the boot animation as it is doing my head in, hopefully reinstalling r8 may fix this, I have read up about the card partitioning and I will just create a ext 2 of around 4gb which should be plenty, I will use the work around with regards to browsing thanks for the tip.

Lost you a bit on moving the dalvik to the SD, normally what I do is go into CWR - wipe everything, then format SD and re-partition, add zip or in this case use windows bat and away you go, I realise that it involves me installing apk again etc but I don't install a lot until I get everything the way I want it.

If you have any easy way please let me know, I do this just incase I mess things up.

Also is there anyway of going into CWR other than vega reboot recovery?, can I press power and back, with my desire its power and volume.

Cheers

Mav

Guest simonta

Reinstalling mcr won't help with the boot animation. What I meant is that you have to install a bootanimation.zip outside the framework.

CWR will wipe no matter where you've moved the caches. If you only install mcr, you don't need a wipe as it's an addon (add/removes/modifies files). If you flash stock ROM, and you haven't moved the cache, then you don't need a wipe. If you don't know how to move the cache, then you don't need a wipe :D. Short answer, currently, wiping is not required on the Vega unless you're doing funky things - which you aren't. Only thing for you to think about is doing a nandroid as a last resort and app backup to save you having to reinstall following a ROM flash or for when it goes Pete Tong, which it almost certainly will if you are a fiddler :D

Only way to get into CWR currently is via the app provided. We don't have access to the source for the boot loader so for now, nothing can be done.

Cheers

Simon

Guest maverick6378
Reinstalling mcr won't help with the boot animation. What I meant is that you have to install a bootanimation.zip outside the framework.

CWR will wipe no matter where you've moved the caches. If you only install mcr, you don't need a wipe as it's an addon (add/removes/modifies files). If you flash stock ROM, and you haven't moved the cache, then you don't need a wipe. If you don't know how to move the cache, then you don't need a wipe :D. Short answer, currently, wiping is not required on the Vega unless you're doing funky things - which you aren't. Only thing for you to think about is doing a nandroid as a last resort and app backup to save you having to reinstall following a ROM flash or for when it goes Pete Tong, which it almost certainly will if you are a fiddler :D

Only way to get into CWR currently is via the app provided. We don't have access to the source for the boot loader so for now, nothing can be done.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I sort of get it, sorry to be a Noob LOL, by funky things do you mean updating kernel if so should I reinstall R8 first, then kernel, or can I just update kernel?.

I went into CWR cleared everything and partitioned sd card, the vega just started up as if first boot only R8 still installed, I expected it to revert back to stock rom.

I did a nandroid prior to installing R8 just incase, what worries me a bit is if it does go pete tong and doesnt boot will it still connect to pc to install rom?, also why cant you install roms from CWR rather than cmd prompt?.

Guest simonta
Thanks Simon,

I sort of get it, sorry to be a Noob LOL, by funky things do you mean updating kernel if so should I reinstall R8 first, then kernel, or can I just update kernel?.

I went into CWR cleared everything and partitioned sd card, the vega just started up as if first boot only R8 still installed, I expected it to revert back to stock rom.

I did a nandroid prior to installing R8 just incase, what worries me a bit is if it does go pete tong and doesnt boot will it still connect to pc to install rom?, also why cant you install roms from CWR rather than cmd prompt?.

By funky, I meant moving dalvik cache. To revert back to stock, you would need to flash an entire ROM, there is no "factory reset" for the Vega. mcr replaces and adds to system files which CWR won't touch.

Cheers