Kinect coming to Android

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

Just came across this article as I've been investigating the use of the Vega camera for gesture recognition but it looks like someone got there first. If you read this article it seems development is just starting but the potential for tablet usage would be awesome. Just hope they can make it accurate enough to replicate mouse movement. I want it now :D

For more info go to this website

Edited by trevor432990

Guest dagrim1
Just came across this article as I've been investigating the use of the Vega camera for gesture recognition but it looks like someone got there first. If you read this article it seems development is just starting but the potential for tablet usage would be awesome. Just hope they can make it accurate enough to replicate mouse movement. I want it now :D

For more info go to this website

I wonder if the camera on the vega is actually usefull for anything like this (or anything at all) :D

Guest cjtkd
I wonder if the camera on the vega is actually usefull for anything like this (or anything at all) :D

lol its useful for spying on people sat behind you......... not that any of us would do such a thing haha. :D

The guy in this video is a but rude! Answers the call, says 'Hello' in a stupid voice, then hangs up the call http://www.xtr3d.com/tablet_vid.html

In all seriousness, looks like a cool interface..... if it happens.

Edited by cjtkd

Guest trevor432990

Know what you mean but their website says ANY camera it's just that the Vega one will be a challenge for them :D

Guest Fuzzysteve

Not /quite/ what the kinect does. :D It can't generate the depth map, as it doesn't have the IR light.

More akin to the sony solution.

Guest godinandroid

Cool interface, I like how on the video with those two kids playing a racing game, they're constantly grinding along the sides of the track. Very confidence inspiring.

Guest schprlock

Sorry to disagree... I hope this kind of technology never sees the light of the day. It is a really good study subject and a lot of advances can be made by studying it, but I fear this is going to be what accelerometers and touchscreens are to classic gaming nowadays.

There are some really good Kinect games. The dance and sports games, made for kinect. But then there are really good racing games, for example, in which the only problem is the control method: Kinect. Kinect is great, but it's really bad when people use it in games because they can.

I have said it in these forums before: Majesty is a great game and it's a great use for the touch screen. 3D Bio Ball is a great game, and a great use for accelerometers. But most games would be great if they used a gamepad, and they are absolute crap because they use touchscreen controls or accelerometers.

Check out Guerrilla Bob. Amazing graphics, great sound. The idea is really good too. And the game would be amazing if it allowed us to use a keyboard or a gamepad. This way, it's just eye candy. I can't be bothered to "play" it.

Check out the video of the two kids playing a racing game by turning their hands. Yes, it looks like science fiction and it's great in all that the idea represents, but I would rather be playing packman, as long as I could use a gamepad or joystick. I mean, would you play Leisure Suit Larry 1 (the next adventure, not the VGA remake) with accelerometers and touchscreens? And cameras... Well, a lot of people would. Just because they can. It's not fun.

Having said this, and as I said in the first paragraph, this can be a major boost in HCI. I just hope they use it to improve interfacing and not, once again, just because they can.

Guest cjtkd
Sorry to disagree... I hope this kind of technology never sees the light of the day. It is a really good study subject and a lot of advances can be made by studying it, but I fear this is going to be what accelerometers and touchscreens are to classic gaming nowadays.

There are some really good Kinect games. The dance and sports games, made for kinect. But then there are really good racing games, for example, in which the only problem is the control method: Kinect. Kinect is great, but it's really bad when people use it in games because they can.

I have said it in these forums before: Majesty is a great game and it's a great use for the touch screen. 3D Bio Ball is a great game, and a great use for accelerometers. But most games would be great if they used a gamepad, and they are absolute crap because they use touchscreen controls or accelerometers.

Check out Guerrilla Bob. Amazing graphics, great sound. The idea is really good too. And the game would be amazing if it allowed us to use a keyboard or a gamepad. This way, it's just eye candy. I can't be bothered to "play" it.

Check out the video of the two kids playing a racing game by turning their hands. Yes, it looks like science fiction and it's great in all that the idea represents, but I would rather be playing packman, as long as I could use a gamepad or joystick. I mean, would you play Leisure Suit Larry 1 (the next adventure, not the VGA remake) with accelerometers and touchscreens? And cameras... Well, a lot of people would. Just because they can. It's not fun.

Having said this, and as I said in the first paragraph, this can be a major boost in HCI. I just hope they use it to improve interfacing and not, once again, just because they can.

I have to say the site as a whole does look a little 'fake', more of a 'look what we can do' affair in order to push a related product?

Guest trevor432990
I have to say the site as a whole does look a little 'fake', more of a 'look what we can do' affair in order to push a related product?

I agree the website content is sparce but slick they are probably after venture capital investment but some other background stories also online seem to lend some credence to the organisation. Would like to get hold of the laptop beta program mentioned anyway but cannot find any download sites at this time.