Took broken vega back to Currys

Guest zzleezz

Guest zzleezz

OK. My Vega last night was nestled in my greedy hands when I decided for reasons I forget that I needed a reboot. When the Vega sparked back into life and I ran miren browser again I saw that the screen was rotated to portrait mode as the rotation lock button was still on. I clicked it to the off position and then back to the on position when I heard a crack. Taking a close look I could see that the rotation lock button had snapped in half right next to the raised ridge.

"Oh Deary me" I said to myself.......

Today after tweeting the advent Vega guy for advice I decided to take it back to Curry's.

I had bought it online in December and the very nice lady in curry's told me that it would have to go off for repair. When I asked how long it would be there was a certain amount of teeth sucking and she said that I could phone in 10 days time to find out how it was getting on :-(

She went through all the detail checking, a small hurdle was I had no reciept but she tracked down my details over the phone.

When all that was complete she was about to send me on my way when she decided that as she had never returned a Vega before that she would call the repair centre and find out what would happen next for me. The man on the phone said that it would be a code 5 which apparently means they can exchange it for a new one once it had been inspected.

At this point she went to have a word with her manager and he ok'd it to be exchanged on the spot!

I was extremely impressed by this level of effort. She spent a good 45 minutes with me and instead of weeks without my beloved toy I am typing this post on my shiny new Vega :-)

One thing to note - I swear the screen is more responsive on this one..........

Guest Neil R

I mail ordered mine from dixons and had to send it back cos the sd card slot didn't work. Long story short, thrir courier arrived, picked up then i got an email a day later saying my replacement was on the way.

The only gripe i have is one of their drones sid i could swap in shop at currys, which appears to be nonsense. Overall very happy.

Interesting to see what will happen to the price when the new samsung hits the stores....

Edited by Neil R

Guest bazanime

Haha you must be a very nice and attractive person for her to put much effort into helping you, my nice but ugly self won't be so lucky.

That's very good service but at personal discretion of the rep, I'm doubtful that's standard procedure. Fingers crossed I don't even need to repair mine, I'm a very careful gadget geek.

That's very good service but at personal discretion of the rep, I'm doubtful that's standard procedure. Fingers crossed I don't even need to repair mine, I'm a very careful gadget geek.

It's not personal discretion, it's standard procedure. When I took mine back the guy on the phone told me straight away it was a code 5 which means replacement rather than repair. The nice lady dealing with me hummed and hahed a bit but as soon as I mentioned it was code 5 she immediately phoned the head office to check then gave me a refund on the spot.

Guest zzleezz
How noticeably better is the screen/viewing angles? Any chance of a vid?

Sorry, should have clarified. Its the touch that feels better on this one. Typing just feels smoother and faster and when I'm dragging something it no longer jitters like it usedto.

Forgot to mentio that they had lots of tablets on display in this curry's, including the Vega displayed very prominently with a big sign above it saying "The award winning Advent Vega". Its was next to a Samsung tab and an archos. All the apple devices were away at the end in a seperate section.

Guest newbe5
It's not personal discretion, it's standard procedure. When I took mine back the guy on the phone told me straight away it was a code 5 which means replacement rather than repair. The nice lady dealing with me hummed and hahed a bit but as soon as I mentioned it was code 5 she immediately phoned the head office to check then gave me a refund on the spot.

I think that Advent are keen to keep a very good reputation with this device. They must realise that the community is a large part of why the Vega is so popular, and with us, a certain amount of breakage can occur :D

Guest Rhysd2

I had a similar experience when mine wouldnt keep its date and time. Phoned pc world support. was given a code to give to the store. swapped on the spot. excellent service.

Guest tomolewis

Totally opposite of my story,

Took mine back with order details......... was told it would have to be posted off........ how long they don't know. I refused as it was only 2 months old I know i was entitled to a replacement or refund.

The service chap argued with me and told me i was wrong and asked me would he like to a print a copy of the sales of goods act........ I accepted his offer and said we'll go through it together.

He then called his manager over and they agreed to refund me as they didn't have any in stock (the online checker said they had stock?) after refunding me the wrong amount they had to take the amount again and then refund the correct amount.

Bought my new vega from pcwb for £22 less....... athough the 4gb sd card has given up the ghost after about 4 days.

Wasn't too impressed my self............. Glad you got good service though :D

Guest zzleezz
Totally opposite of my story,

Took mine back with order details......... was told it would have to be posted off........ how long they don't know. I refused as it was only 2 months old I know i was entitled to a replacement or refund.

The service chap argued with me and told me i was wrong and asked me would he like to a print a copy of the sales of goods act........ I accepted his offer and said we'll go through it together.

He then called his manager over and they agreed to refund me as they didn't have any in stock (the online checker said they had stock?) after refunding me the wrong amount they had to take the amount again and then refund the correct amount.

Bought my new vega from pcwb for £22 less....... athough the 4gb sd card has given up the ghost after about 4 days.

Wasn't too impressed my self............. Glad you got good service though :D

Sounds a bit like the start of my story up to the point where they didn't have stock. My nice helpful saleswoman also said that they had no stock, I had checked before I left and made sure it was in stock. When I checked online I noticed that there were 2 Vega's listed, the one without flash that they had sold off cheaper online which was not in stock and the one with flash which was full price and in stock. Remembering this I asked her to look again and she found the right one.

My experience turned out that way due to a mix of effort on her part, polite persistence and a little fore knowledge on mine. Oh yeah, looking like Brad Pitt also helps (big lie) ;-)

Actually I had my son with me who charmed the socks off her :-)

Looking at the switch that broke on my old Vega it does look very flimsy. The bump on it is meant to give you some purchase when switching it but I think all it does is put pressure on the middle in a concentrated point. Would recommend you all use a fingernail on the end of the switch to avoid this happening. Really bad design the more I look at it, almost impossible to move it with a fingertip its so stiff on this new one.

Guest blcollier
Forgot to mentio that they had lots of tablets on display in this curry's, including the Vega displayed very prominently with a big sign above it saying "The award winning Advent Vega". Its was next to a Samsung tab and an archos. All the apple devices were away at the end in a seperate section.

The PC World/Currys uberstore I bought mine from was exactly the same (the two separate stores used to be next door to each other, but they merged into one big giant uberstore). The iDevices were in a separate section, and they only had a one or two iPads on display - though I suspect that may be a different story after today. But the rest of the tablet section was quite impressive: they must have had at least 7 or 8 different tablets on display. Though despite the big "AWARD WINNING ADVENT VEGA!!1ONE1!!" signs, they did appear to give pride of place to the Samusng Galaxy Tab - I was *almost* tempted to change my mind and get the Galaxy Tab, but that big fat price sticker soon changed that... Plus I went in mid-week when it was dead in there, so managed to speak to a salesperson who actually seemed to know what he was talking about.

It's all good in my book; good to see a retailer actually make an effort to punt something other than the latest iDevice - especially when that retailer is Currys/PC World. Even better to hear that people are actually getting good after-sales service.

OK. My Vega last night was nestled in my greedy hands when I decided for reasons I forget that I needed a reboot. When the Vega sparked back into life and I ran miren browser again I saw that the screen was rotated to portrait mode as the rotation lock button was still on. I clicked it to the off position and then back to the on position when I heard a crack. Taking a close look I could see that the rotation lock button had snapped in half right next to the raised ridge.

"Oh Deary me" I said to myself.......

Today after tweeting the advent Vega guy for advice I decided to take it back to Curry's.

I had bought it online in December and the very nice lady in curry's told me that it would have to go off for repair. When I asked how long it would be there was a certain amount of teeth sucking and she said that I could phone in 10 days time to find out how it was getting on :-(

She went through all the detail checking, a small hurdle was I had no reciept but she tracked down my details over the phone.

When all that was complete she was about to send me on my way when she decided that as she had never returned a Vega before that she would call the repair centre and find out what would happen next for me. The man on the phone said that it would be a code 5 which apparently means they can exchange it for a new one once it had been inspected.

At this point she went to have a word with her manager and he ok'd it to be exchanged on the spot!

I was extremely impressed by this level of effort. She spent a good 45 minutes with me and instead of weeks without my beloved toy I am typing this post on my shiny new Vega :-)

One thing to note - I swear the screen is more responsive on this one..........

Guest marky444

Had a similar expierience with my vega. Took it back to a local megastore and although it was brought in January online they just did a straight swop no questions asked. Also noticed the screen does feel so much better, no longer getting multiple key presses and a lot less draggy, thry let me keep the sd card that had all my apps etc. On it. :D

Had to return my month old Vega to Currys ,was told repair would take 28 days by sales assistant.Asked to see the the manager who told me it takes 28 days also and if I was not happy 'TOUGH'.Obviously I will not be buying from Currys/PCW again.

Guest bhargav27
Had to return my month old Vega to Currys ,was told repair would take 28 days by sales assistant.Asked to see the the manager who told me it takes 28 days also and if I was not happy 'TOUGH'.Obviously I will not be buying from Currys/PCW again.

Need some advice on returning the Vega. No major issues but the routine ones with the screen being unresponsive at times, multiple keystrokes etc. The question is did you guys reset it to stock Rom or went with Paul's r8? I have the r8 with adw and a custom theme etc. Thanks.

Guest newbe5
Need some advice on returning the Vega. No major issues but the routine ones with the screen being unresponsive at times, multiple keystrokes etc. The question is did you guys reset it to stock Rom or went with Paul's r8? I have the r8 with adw and a custom theme etc. Thanks.

Reset it to 1.09, also from what I have read here, ring Currys/PC World technical support first and explain the issues, hopefully they will give you a code which you can give to the person in store. By the looks of it, those people who have done it this way have had a better experience as it takes the decision making away from the person in the store.

Zeb

Guest marky444

I took mine back with Pauls R8 custom rom, custom theme etc.. And as I said ealier in the thread the gue even let me swap micro SD cards as I didn't have time to back up (had the wife breathing down my neck at the time :D ) they didn't even turn it on just said ok and gave me a new one :D This was a mega store though, don't know if that makes a difference as they had some in stock.

Guest zzleezz

Yeah, mine also had custom rom on it. In fact it also had vintagevega still Zeb :-)

I might have put it back to stock if I was taking it back with a misbehaving screen though. Avoid that "its your software not our hardware" argument. Let's face it, not all the staff are going to know that DSG encourage custom roms.

Like newbe5 said, phone ahead or get in touch with vegacss first. That or be prepared to argue your case firmly.

Guest newbe5
Yeah, mine also had custom rom on it. In fact it also had vintagevega still Zeb :-)

I might have put it back to stock if I was taking it back with a misbehaving screen though. Avoid that "its your software not our hardware" argument. Let's face it, not all the staff are going to know that DSG encourage custom roms.

Like newbe5 said, phone ahead or get in touch with vegacss first. That or be prepared to argue your case firmly.

Oh wow you returned one with VintageVega on it?! lmao, wonder what they thought of that when they got it back :D

You using it on your new one too?

Zeb

Guest Schooleydoo

Mine was also replaced under code 5 a month ago.

I'm not going to crow from the rooftops about DSG's amazing service though... does anyone actually expect them to attempt to repair these things?

Lets say one unit costs them £90 and they spend a further £30 on badging, packaging and advertising. Lets also assume that they are will not train their repair staff on a product that will not sell in large quantities and will be obsolete in a short time. Without any further assumption, I think it is far more economical for them to replace the unit on the spot.

My replacement story is not quite as happy though, so perhaps I am just bitter. Although maybe because of my woes, you actually received acceptable service. Some might call me a pioneer. A hero even?

Anyway, since new my volume rocker had been temperamental. I wanted to wait until they had plenty of stock in stores before attempting an exchange. So at the end of Feb I spent 2 hours on the phone to DSG being passed between 3 different people. First I was told it was a code 5, then that I must send it away for repair and finally that it must be exchanged via post because I bought it online.

I refused and they agreed it would be best for me to talk about it in store. So they confirmed my local PC World had one in stock and told me that they would call the store to explain the situation and reserve it for me. All I would need to do is pick up my new Vega.

Half an hour later I was having the same conversation with "The Tech Guys" in store who told me they cannot exchange it as I bought it online.

I told them I understood their concerns and asked them to call head office who would clear it. They did so and were told that there were no notes on the system about any conversation and that their database said that as 28 days had passed it was an automatic repair item. So I took the phone and started explaining the situation again. An hour later I was told it was indeed a code 5 and I could exchange it in store. I explained how it had been complete torture to get to this point and that they really ought to revise their procedures and make it clear that the Advent Vega was a code 5 on all systems. They told me they would look into it. I was sceptical.

Relieved that my time in hell was almost at an end I was then told that unbelievably, the store had not reserved the one unit in stock because they knew it wasn't a code 5 and whilst I was on the phone, the store had sold it.

FU DSG :D

Edited by Schooleydoo

Guest zzleezz
Oh wow you returned one with VintageVega on it?! lmao, wonder what they thought of that when they got it back :D

You using it on your new one too?

Zeb

Yup, nandroided old one straight onto new one. Its very different, has also made me start to look at my HTC Desire. A lot of ppl over at xda that are skinning their ADW or Launcher Pros with Desktop Visualizer and Simi Folders. Really impressive what can be done with a little bit of creativity (or in my case thievery :D )

Guest newbe5
Yup, nandroided old one straight onto new one. Its very different, has also made me start to look at my HTC Desire. A lot of ppl over at xda that are skinning their ADW or Launcher Pros with Desktop Visualizer and Simi Folders. Really impressive what can be done with a little bit of creativity (or in my case thievery :D )

Nice! Would you mind taking some screenshots of your set-up and posting them in the VintageVega thread? I've yet to see any screenies of someone else using it :D BTW sorry about the thread hijack :(

Edited by newbe5