Unsuccesfull replacement LCD screen with LG LP101WH1-TLB1

Guest dagrim1

Guest dagrim1

Thought it might be of interest for some so decided to open a new topic...

Based on reports of successfully replacing a screen on the Viewsonic G Tablet I thought I'd try the same with the vega. I ordered this screen for it was reported to work on the viewsonic and maybe work on the vega;

http://www.nbkit.com/Wholesale/product/LG-...HD__c18093.html

After opening up the vega (pretty easy actually, see: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ega-internals/) I tried connecting the LCD by simply removing the LCD interface connector from the original screen and plugging it into the LG. THis without actually removing the old screen, just had the LG on top of the (backside of the) vega.

Powering on did power on the LG screen, the backlight oif the LCD turned on, but unfortunately there was no display. So unless I'm missing a connector it doesn't seem to work...

It booted and the screen went to standby after guessing the lockscreen I guess, pressing the power button got it out of standby again (backlight turned on) but nothing else... Screen stayed black and no display.

Any questions, tips or hints are welcome since I'm a total nitwit :D

ps. Another issue is the location of the connector. It's way more to the left and upwards oin the LG. If you look at the pic on the site above you see the connector on the left of the white sticker (bottom left, at the right of the red letters). In the original it's on the bottom center or right-ish of that sticker.

Guest carl rose
Thought it might be of interest for some so decided to open a new topic...

Based on reports of successfully replacing a screen on the Viewsonic G Tablet I thought I'd try the same with the vega. I ordered this screen for it was reported to work on the viewsonic and maybe work on the vega;

http://www.nbkit.com/Wholesale/product/LG-...HD__c18093.html

After opening up the vega (pretty easy actually, see: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ega-internals/) I tried connecting the LCD by simply removing the LCD interface connector from the original screen and plugging it into the LG. THis without actually removing the old screen, just had the LG on top of the (backside of the) vega.

Powering on did power on the LG screen, the backlight oif the LCD turned on, but unfortunately there was no display. So unless I'm missing a connector it doesn't seem to work...

It booted and the screen went to standby after guessing the lockscreen I guess, pressing the power button got it out of standby again (backlight turned on) but nothing else... Screen stayed black and no display.

Any questions, tips or hints are welcome since I'm a total nitwit :D

ps. Another issue is the location of the connector. It's way more to the left and upwards oin the LG. If you look at the pic on the site above you see the connector on the left of the white sticker (bottom left, at the right of the red letters). In the original it's on the bottom center or right-ish of that sticker.

Are the connectors exactly the same? Are the wires colour coded like in the old screen?

Guest dagrim1
Are the connectors exactly the same? Are the wires colour coded like in the old screen?

No wires from the LCD... Just the connector from the motherboard of the vega to the screen (and I think it can only fit one way in there)

Guest dagrim1
Plug in to a monitor via hdmi. You can at lease see what's happening in the os then. Maybe interrogate the display from the os.

That's a nice idea yeah... maybe I'll give that another try later on.

Will open it up after the weekend again I think (going away for the weekend) and will make some pics as well then.

Guest Sir Gash
That's a nice idea yeah... maybe I'll give that another try later on.

Will open it up after the weekend again I think (going away for the weekend) and will make some pics as well then.

I am not an Android developer, but I thought the resolution of the device was stored somewhere like init.rc (sorry can't remember where I saw this). As the Vega screen is 1024x600 and the LG is 1366x768, maybe it just needs to be updated?

Would love this to work, good luck!

Guest blcollier
Would love this to work, good luck!

Hell yes, it would be nice to be able to update the screen to one with better viewing angles, or a higher resolution. Cracking the case open does not scare me :D

Guest godinandroid

While this would be a brilliant upgrade, I wonder what effect it would have on a OS, if programs would be compatible etc. Also, this is just a screen upgrade, not a touch sensor upgrade, correct?

Guest blcollier
While this would be a brilliant upgrade, I wonder what effect it would have on a OS, if programs would be compatible etc. Also, this is just a screen upgrade, not a touch sensor upgrade, correct?

The Vega has a screen resolution of 1024*600. Most Android apps will be written with phones in mind, and most high-end Android phones only use 800*480 (or 480*800 in the usual portait orientation). All the apps I've tried on the vega so far can scale up without a problem.

The only issue I see is whether there is any hard limit in the OS, or any issue with the kernel/drivers. Though, I am not a developer :D

And yes, you would only need to upgrade the LCD, not the touchscreen digitiser (or whatever it's called). Of course, that may prove tricky if the LCD is bonded to the glass/plastic...

EDIT: Thinking about it, I doubt there's a limit in the OS to be honest. I've tried x86 versions of Android that display in higher resolutions than the Vega's screen can handle.

Edited by blcollier

Guest bazanime

I wish there was a PixelQi compatible screen for the Vega, that would be awesome. Low power, great viewing angles, and an e-ink mode.

Edited by bazanime

Guest Vansphone
I wish there was a PixelQi compatible screen for the Vega, that would be awesome. Low power, great viewing angles, and an e-ink mode.

These seem to be at least willing to receive questions about buying a Pixel Qi screen

Pixel Qi

I noticed it has a 40 pin interface. I have a vague memory that the interface on the Vega might have an interface with 30 or so pins (but I could be wrong)

Guest JordanT92
These seem to be at least willing to receive questions about buying a Pixel Qi screen

Pixel Qi

I noticed it has a 40 pin interface. I have a vague memory that the interface on the Vega might have an interface with 30 or so pins (but I could be wrong)

Well, both the PixelQI and the LG LP101WH1-TLB1 have a 40 pin LVDS interface, if the LG plugged in and powered on, so should the PixelQI. Maybe someone with deeper pockets than I could take the plunge and report back?

Guest Vansphone
Well, both the PixelQI and the LG LP101WH1-TLB1 have a 40 pin LVDS interface, if the LG plugged in and powered on, so should the PixelQI. Maybe someone with deeper pockets than I could take the plunge and report back?

Thanks for the post. I am almost certainly wrong with my 30 pin memory, 40 sound more sensible.

I sent the company in my link a question asking about availability and price. I will let you know if ever I get an answer.

Guest dagrim1

Ight, gave it another spin...

Again no success, screen lighted up... But other then that nothing. Booted it wih hdmi cable attatched and saw that it booted (used the CM7 rom btw) and started fine but no display on the lcd.

Attached some pics to show the different parts. Any comments are welcome but I simply guess it's a no-go..

post-588721-1301694282_thumb.jpg

post-588721-1301694404_thumb.jpg

post-588721-1301694464_thumb.jpg

post-588721-1301694481_thumb.jpg

post-588721-1301694494_thumb.jpg

post-588721-1301694504_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest dagrim1
Any updates on this?

XDA Forums - dude got it working. Might have to rewire the 40 pin one slightly...

No updates from my side, do you have a link to the thread on xda?

• 6 months later...
Guest Alysson_bvg

Hey guys... i'm new in the android world... soo...i kind of need a litle help....

i hv a Kyros with the motherboard 1025_v4 and hv that same screem lcd - lp101wh1

but hvnt any update for this device cuz hv that motherboard...

ok...lets to the point...

any ones can please pass for me the DRIVES of this LCD???

with the drives will be possible updater to de android 2.3..

i can do the updater... but i only found a clue of this LCD heres... :P

bad englsh....i'm speak only portuguese...and a bad englsh :P

No updates from my side, do you have a link to the thread on xda?