Newbie in need of help

Guest fractured

Guest fractured

HI, I would like to say hello to all as this is my first post at modaco. I have looked at various postings over the month since subscribing but not found anything so...basic to answer my question. Although basic to you guys probably, I am on the verge of putting my vega on ebay. I have a few questions but I would like to start with this.

I have tried and I think succesfully at downloading the manual for my vega from myadventvega.com, I have then found eventually, the download folder and tried to open the manual but a msg comes up saying application not available. Please can someone advise as to what I should do to open these files. I would appreciate any advice being really simple as I am getting on a bit and this is my first computer with android os.

Thanks for any answers

Guest marky444

You will need to download a pdf reader in order to open the manual on you vega. This will require you to have access to an app store.

Guest cjtkd
You will need to download a pdf reader in order to open the manual on you vega. This will require you to have access to an app store.

Which I am sure is about to open up a whole boat load of containers carrying cans of worms.. :D

Guest fractured

Thanks marky but how do you get access to an app store?

Guest cjtkd
Thanks marky but how do you get access to an app store?

Just a quick one. Have you not tried viewing the manual on a regular PC or Laptop? If not your own maybe someone elses?

As I said, a can of worms....

Guest fractured
Just a quick one. Have you not tried viewing the manual on a regular PC or Laptop? If not your own maybe someone elses?

As I said, a can of worms....

Hi no I havnt tried another computer but thanks cjtkd I will, but I would have thought it better to try and use the vega to get used to it if nothing else.

Guest newbe5
Hi no I havnt tried another computer but thanks cjtkd I will, but I would have thought it better to try and use the vega to get used to it if nothing else.

Before you get too frustrated there are a few key points that are good to know about your Vega before you start dipping your toes in:

1) Most Android devices (phones) are certified by Google, and so they come with the Android "Market" installed on them. The Vega (because of it's screen size) is not certified, and so they are not officially allowed to distribute it with the Android Market pre-installed. The Android Market is much like the Apple App Store (if you are familiar wit that at all), in the sense that it lets you search for, download, pay for and rate apps directly on your device without the need for a PC.

2) Because of the Google certification reason mentioned above, NO official Google apps come pre-installed on the Vega (including Google Maps, Email? etc).

3) As standard, the Vega comes in "USB Slave" mode. Meaning it is set up in a way that it is a device that you can connect to a PC and it will show up as a mass storage drive, and you can transfer files to it etc. However, in this mode, you cannot connect a mouse, or indeed a pen drive into the Vega ITSELF. For this, the Vega needs to be in HOST mode.

4) All of the above can be rectified by installing the Modaco Custom Rom v8 (MCR8) onto your Vega. You can read up on hw to do this in the pinned topic at the top of the Vega forums. Installing this pack (which is kind of an "addon" to the stock ROM) adds all of the things that the Vega is "missing" out of the box. You will get the Android Market as well as all of the other Google official apps, as well as a USB "Host/Slave" switcher, that allows you to put your Vega into the correct mode for your day-to-day use.

There are lots of other topics in this forum with tips and mods that you may want to look up later, but all of that above is the ONLY place to start. The Vega is a lovely piece of technology, but without the Market it's neutered too badly to be sensibly usable. The only issue you MAY have is installing Windows drivers, but there are a LOT of topics around the forums explaining how to do that (and the correct drivers to use are bundled with the MCR8 download). the drivers are required for your PC to correctly see the Vega in order to install the MCR8 package.

Some other handy things you may need to know for later:

1) ClockWorkMod (or CWM) is a handy way of installing ROM packages, or fixes onto your Vega without needing to plug it in to your PC. They are self-contained ZIP files (kind of like installation packages on the PC) that have all of the information in them that CWM needs to patch your Vega. ClockworkMod can be installed by following the instructions in te pinned topic here on te forums, or alternatively you can download an app from the Android Market called "ROM Manager" which will give you the option to install this directly from your Vega.

2) IMPORTANT!! The Vega is basically a completely un-brickable (breakable) device in the sense that there is a very clever layer that sits on the boot partition of the device that cannot be modified. If the brown stuff REALLY hits the fan (and it might :D). All you need to do is completely power-off your Vega (by holding down the power button for 10 seconds) and then unplug the power cable (if it was in), then plug it back in again. Next, hold the BACK button, while pressing the POWER button for a few seconds. The screen will start to come on, but you will see nothing else happen. This means the Vega is now in "nVidia Recovery Mode" and you will be able to connect it to your PC and VERY easily install the stock 1.09 ROM package from the myadventvega.co.uk website (NOTE: doing this will completely wipe any information from the Vega, but will leave the contents of your SD card intact).

there is plenty more information, far too much for me to write in one post. But if you read all of the above, then you will have a good grounding, and hopefully will understand your Vega a bit better!

Good luck and enjoy your Advent Vega!

newbe5 / Zebwen

Guest marky444

Most if not all your questions have already been asked and answered, whst it does mean looking through thr forum using the search box and an awful lot of reading. At the end of it all it is really sayisfying to have done it all yourself and have a bloody brilliant device for half the cost of an ithingy. :D

can just mean a bit of perserverance and trial and error. But I am new to this myself and have so far managed everything bar thr kernel upgrade which is my next step. Thought I busted it twice but it just keeps on going :D

Guest fractured
Before you get too frustrated there are a few key points that are good to know about your Vega before you start dipping your toes in:

1) Most Android devices (phones) are certified by Google, and so they come with the Android "Market" installed on them. The Vega (because of it's screen size) is not certified, and so they are not officially allowed to distribute it with the Android Market pre-installed. The Android Market is much like the Apple App Store (if you are familiar wit that at all), in the sense that it lets you search for, download, pay for and rate apps directly on your device without the need for a PC.

2) Because of the Google certification reason mentioned above, NO official Google apps come pre-installed on the Vega (including Google Maps, Email? etc).

3) As standard, the Vega comes in "USB Slave" mode. Meaning it is set up in a way that it is a device that you can connect to a PC and it will show up as a mass storage drive, and you can transfer files to it etc. However, in this mode, you cannot connect a mouse, or indeed a pen drive into the Vega ITSELF. For this, the Vega needs to be in HOST mode.

4) All of the above can be rectified by installing the Modaco Custom Rom v8 (MCR8) onto your Vega. You can read up on hw to do this in the pinned topic at the top of the Vega forums. Installing this pack (which is kind of an "addon" to the stock ROM) adds all of the things that the Vega is "missing" out of the box. You will get the Android Market as well as all of the other Google official apps, as well as a USB "Host/Slave" switcher, that allows you to put your Vega into the correct mode for your day-to-day use.

There are lots of other topics in this forum with tips and mods that you may want to look up later, but all of that above is the ONLY place to start. The Vega is a lovely piece of technology, but without the Market it's neutered too badly to be sensibly usable. The only issue you MAY have is installing Windows drivers, but there are a LOT of topics around the forums explaining how to do that (and the correct drivers to use are bundled with the MCR8 download). the drivers are required for your PC to correctly see the Vega in order to install the MCR8 package.

Some other handy things you may need to know for later:

1) ClockWorkMod (or CWM) is a handy way of installing ROM packages, or fixes onto your Vega without needing to plug it in to your PC. They are self-contained ZIP files (kind of like installation packages on the PC) that have all of the information in them that CWM needs to patch your Vega. ClockworkMod can be installed by following the instructions in te pinned topic here on te forums, or alternatively you can download an app from the Android Market called "ROM Manager" which will give you the option to install this directly from your Vega.

2) IMPORTANT!! The Vega is basically a completely un-brickable (breakable) device in the sense that there is a very clever layer that sits on the boot partition of the device that cannot be modified. If the brown stuff REALLY hits the fan (and it might :D). All you need to do is completely power-off your Vega (by holding down the power button for 10 seconds) and then unplug the power cable (if it was in), then plug it back in again. Next, hold the BACK button, while pressing the POWER button for a few seconds. The screen will start to come on, but you will see nothing else happen. This means the Vega is now in "nVidia Recovery Mode" and you will be able to connect it to your PC and VERY easily install the stock 1.09 ROM package from the myadventvega.co.uk website (NOTE: doing this will completely wipe any information from the Vega, but will leave the contents of your SD card intact).

there is plenty more information, far too much for me to write in one post. But if you read all of the above, then you will have a good grounding, and hopefully will understand your Vega a bit better!

Good luck and enjoy your Advent Vega!

newbe5 / Zebwen

Guest fractured

I cant thank you enough NEWBE5 for that description. It explains so much.I think it should be pinned so that all those new to advent even tablets in general could read. Believe me it has now empowered me to go to the kitchen and get r8. Maybe soon I can start to use this as do the rest on modaco. Thank you again

Guest fractured
Most if not all your questions have already been asked and answered, whst it does mean looking through thr forum using the search box and an awful lot of reading. At the end of it all it is really sayisfying to have done it all yourself and have a bloody brilliant device for half the cost of an ithingy. :D

can just mean a bit of perserverance and trial and error. But I am new to this myself and have so far managed everything bar thr kernel upgrade which is my next step. Thought I busted it twice but it just keeps on going :D

Hi marky, I do aim to get as many answers as I can using all the means I can on modaco and as you say end up with a bloody good device. It is due to people like yourself and newbe5 above showing patience with those of us who are maybe a little slower than some that we can get more use out of this machine thank you again.

Guest newbe5
I cant thank you enough NEWBE5 for that description. It explains so much.I think it should be pinned so that all those new to advent even tablets in general could read. Believe me it has now empowered me to go to the kitchen and get r8. Maybe soon I can start to use this as do the rest on modaco. Thank you again

Glad it helped! The Vega is such an awesome device, it just needs a little push to realise it's true potential :( Also it's always good to help peple learn new things... Who knows, you might turn out to love it LOTS and give back to the community in your own way :D that's what places like this are all about :D

newbe5