HE-AAC / HE-AAC V2

Guest Roph

Has anyone got these decoding properly on the blade? I've so far tried with the default audio player and winamp, but had no luck. I only hear the base 22khz mono stream.

If you're wondering what HE-AAC / HE-AAC V2 are, they are extensions to the AAC standard. HE-AAC adds spectral band replication (44.1khz audio is encoded as 22050hz and a few bits per second are used for replication information to reproduce the higher frequencies). HE-AAC V2 also adds parametric stereo. The stream is only encoded in mono, but again a few extra bits per sec are used for panning information.

Both of these together allow you to save high quality audio at bitrates as low as 25-30 kbit/s. Here's an example track, 7 mins long but only 1.5MB. When played back with a supporting decoder (such as winamp on a PC or VLC) you'll hear the 44.1khz stereo audio. Playback on an AAC decoder that doesn't support HE-AAC will result in only the base stream: 22050hz mono. Eww :D

I'm running FLB Froyo which has the stagefright media framework, the culprit in failing to decode HE-AAC According to this article here. I've found a few posts from googling from people having the problem, such as here or here. I found one answer that says setting media.stagefright.enable-player to false should do the trick, which I did via the blade buddy app, but it's still not decoding. I tried restarting the phone, going back into blade buddy and verifying that the setting stuck (it has), but still no dice in either the default music app or winamp.

Anyone else had any luck or got any more suggestions? :D

Edited by Roph

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
Has anyone got these decoding properly on the blade? I've so far tried with the default audio player and winamp, but had no luck. I only hear the base 22khz mono stream.

If you're wondering what HE-AAC / HE-AAC V2 are, they are extensions to the AAC standard. HE-AAC adds spectral band replication (44.1khz audio is encoded as 22050hz and a few bits per second are used for replication information to reproduce the higher frequencies). HE-AAC V2 also adds parametric stereo. The stream is only encoded in mono, but again a few extra bits per sec are used for panning information.

Both of these together allow you to save high quality audio at bitrates as low as 25-30 kbit/s. Here's an example track, 7 mins long but only 1.5MB. When played back with a supporting decoder (such as winamp on a PC or VLC) you'll hear the 44.1khz stereo audio. Playback on an AAC decoder that doesn't support HE-AAC will result in only the base stream: 22050hz mono. Eww :D

I'm running FLB Froyo which has the stagefright media framework, the culprit in failing to decode HE-AAC According to this article here. I've found a few posts from googling from people having the problem, such as here or here. I found one answer that says setting media.stagefright.enable-player to false should do the trick, which I did via the blade buddy app, but it's still not decoding. I tried restarting the phone, going back into blade buddy and verifying that the setting stuck (it has), but still no dice in either the default music app or winamp.

Anyone else had any luck or got any more suggestions? :D

Give CM7 a shot, Stagefright actually works in that I believe, not the bugged out version in the froyo roms :(

• 2 years later...
Guest RajeshNethaniah

Seems like many are struggling to decode/play m4a or aac files on their Android devices.

Well, I've a solution for you all.

You can download/install JetAudio Basic from https://play.google....actory.jetaudio or buy JetAudio Plus from https://play.google....ry.jetaudioplus if your Android device supports it/them.

And for encoding mp4/m4a files from various other formats, please visit http://mp4technology.blogspot.in/

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Neo :)