DST Time change - SOLVED

Guest stephen337

Guest trevor432990
Should I expct automatic DST update? (UK)

Sheesh if you have this problem you need to set your time zone to London,Dublin rather than the default GMT as Premieral points out :D

Edited by trevor432990

Guest MarioUK
Don't think Android is as smart as Windows on that front. Got the same problem this morning and I even use an apk called ClockSync but because the NTP servers it uses to get the time don't change either for DST we are a bit stuck. I'm investigating to see if there is an app or NTP server which will deliver us the correct time automatically right now. :D

Came across this interesting response. Still searching.

Oh dear seems like a lot of Android users are unhappy and Google are being blamed.

Not sure if this is a generic Android thing, as my HTC Magic (on Froyo) and my HTC Desire (on Gingerbread) both changed perfectly well with no intervention. The Desire did it fine too on Eclair last year. I guess though I am not sure how much of this is mobile network controlled though? I know the clock can sync with the mobile network, wasn't aware time zones could.

My Vega however didn't change, and I had to manually set the time zone in the time/date settings screen.

UPDATE: Just checked my desire, and when i tick the "automatic" box to use network-provided values, the date, time AND time zone fields get greyed out, suggesting that the mobile network can indeed update the time zone on the phone.

Edited by MarioUK

Guest premieral
Should I expct automatic DST update? (UK)

Mine updated ok? Did you have the correct time zone set not the default gmt oo;oo , it needs to be london dublin to recognise dst :D

Guest MarioUK
Mine updated ok? Did you have the correct time zone set not the default gmt oo;oo , it needs to be london dublin to recognise dst :D

Very good point, I think mine was set to the generic GMT one. I notice if you select London/Dublin in the time zone list now, it actually says GMT+1, suggesting it knows about the BST change today!

Weird as my Vega is showing BST and the correct time, and I haven't changed it.

May be its a function of having used a USB Modem? Its not connected now though.

Edit: Scratch that, it is a function of having the correct TZ.

Edit: Just noticed the MoDaCo time is still GMT<grin>, or are all posts time stamped GMT? ( having only been here since December last year )

Edited by ptbw

Guest trevor432990

Stephen I reckon you can mark this topic as SOLVED now as I think a few of us were running with the default time zone of GMT +0 rather than what was required (which Premieral has thankfully pointed out) 'should' be London/Dublin which is now BST. :D

Guest Skip Tracer
Cool - I logged in today to post this problem and you all had beaten me to it, AND solved it.

Thanks!

We were all a hour ahead of you. :D

Guest peter a
We were all a hour ahead of you. :D

o.k time to uninstall ClockSync !!!!!!

So I will have to remember to set the time zone , on the next complete reinstall.

Guest trevor432990
o.k time to uninstall ClockSync !!!!!!

So I will have to remember to set the time zone , on the next complete reinstall.

Peter no need to uninstall ClockSync because once you have set the correct time zone the system time is corrected automatically but if (like me) you have a homepage widget displaying the time you will probably need to reboot the Vega to get the correct time displayed there.

Guest Fuzzysteve

Just as a note, NTP servers never talk about things like day light saving time. They all talk GMT. Your timezone settings then adjust it. Means you don't need to care where the server is.

Guest MaxiP
Just as a note, NTP servers never talk about things like day light saving time. They all talk GMT. Your timezone settings then adjust it. Means you don't need to care where the server is.

Just to be slightly pedantic, but I think that NTP servers talk UTC, not GMT.

"UTC (Universal Time Coordinated, Temps Universel Coordonné) is an official standard for the current time. UTC evolved from the former GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) that once was used to set the clocks on ships before they left for a long journey. Later GMT had been adopted as the world's standard time. One of the reasons that GMT had been replaced as official standard time was the fact that it was based on the mean solar time. Newer methods of time measurement showed that the mean solar time varied a lot by itself."