Just Ordered a Vega for £200, need some new user tips

Guest SimonGre

Guest SimonGre

Been thinking about a Advent Vega for some time, but it never breached the £200 mark to make me consider it, that has now changed, so I just ordered one.

As I understand it, it will likely come without flash support (or marketplace), but these can be added.

I don't want to jump in and load the latest update before checking that it won't lock me out from future custom ROMS and such. I have a HTC Legend, and appreciate the ability to run a S-OFF bootloader and rooted system to allow me to run what I want. (I run a close to stock, but rooted HTC ROM).

Can I safely install the 1.09 update to get flash support?

How do I get marketplace?

Will it be simple enough to switch to a honeycomb dev rom if/when something appears?

Can someone explain the bootload/rom security system on the advent? Are there attempts to lock it down, or is it a totally open device that will always have the option to do what we wish?

Anything else I should know about?

Cheers!

Guest simonta
Been thinking about a Advent Vega for some time, but it never breached the £200 mark to make me consider it, that has now changed, so I just ordered one.

As I understand it, it will likely come without flash support (or marketplace), but these can be added.

I don't want to jump in and load the latest update before checking that it won't lock me out from future custom ROMS and such. I have a HTC Legend, and appreciate the ability to run a S-OFF bootloader and rooted system to allow me to run what I want. (I run a close to stock, but rooted HTC ROM).

Can I safely install the 1.09 update to get flash support?

How do I get marketplace?

Will it be simple enough to switch to a honeycomb dev rom if/when something appears?

Can someone explain the bootload/rom security system on the advent? Are there attempts to lock it down, or is it a totally open device that will always have the option to do what we wish?

Anything else I should know about?

Cheers!

All you need to do is flash 1.09 and install the mcr to get the market. The Vega is open and will remain so. It's also unbrickable so have fun!

Guest mwright

Cheers!

Cheapest I have found yet is £211 bought from PCworld Business which I am trying to avoid. Where have you found it sub £200 please?

Guest SimonGre
Cheapest I have found yet is £211 bought from PCworld Business which I am trying to avoid. Where have you found it sub £200 please?

from PCworld Business

- Quidco

- Creditcard Cashback

Makes it £200 as near as damnit. What's the problem with PCWorld Buisness (aside from the 7 day turnaround time)?

All you need to do is flash 1.09 and install the mcr to get the market. The Vega is open and will remain so. It's also unbrickable so have fun!

by mcr, do you mean the full Modaco ROM?: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/

slap 1.09 on, and that that and then I am good to go with market where I can download the latest flash?

Edited by SimonGre

Guest newbe5
from PCworld Business

- Quidco

- Creditcard Cashback

Makes it £200 as near as damnit. What's the problem with PCWorld Buisness (aside from the 7 day turnaround time)?

by mcr, do you mean the full Modaco ROM?: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/

slap 1.09 on, and that that and then I am good to go with market where I can download the latest flash?

Yup, spot on Sidney.

Guest High Flyer

The only downside from buying from PCWB is that you can't return it to branch for a replacement, you have to go through the PCWB returns procedure which is different as it is only for businesses.

Guest GabbaGabbaHey
Just in case you have missed it (highly unlikely, I know), Dixons have just dropped the price to £199.99 today. Take 3% Quidco off and you're at £194.