volume is soooo low

Guest jnash123

Guest jnash123

Is there any way to boost the sound on the vega, i cant hear anything when im using my headphones on the underground, my iphone is ten times louder!

Guest stoolzo
Would be interested too. AFAIK has the POV update a fix. Would be nice if this could be integrated in the custom Roms

This is very interesting, most people report the exact opposite. What firmware/ROM/media player/HeadPhone combination are you using?

Guest bazanime

I find the speakers quite low but the headphones so loud on my Vega. Obviously you have to make sure the content you are listening to has good sound.

Guest Nemes1s
Is there any way to boost the sound on the vega, i cant hear anything when im using my headphones on the underground, my iphone is ten times louder!

I downloaded the Volume Control app from the market (there are others too) which gives greater granularity when controlling audio levels. You can adjust more audio streams that you can with the default app. I also noticed that not all applications use the correct audio stream such as 'media'. The only problem I had with audio was that some movies, particularly those with AC3 etc, are very quite.

Guest jnash123

Im basing this on the podcasts and the media player from doggcatcher.... just seems low.

I am using the standard iphone headphones....also...

Many thanks

Jonathan

Guest Unipete
I downloaded the Volume Control app from the market (there are others too) which gives greater granularity when controlling audio levels. You can adjust more audio streams that you can with the default app. I also noticed that not all applications use the correct audio stream such as 'media'. The only problem I had with audio was that some movies, particularly those with AC3 etc, are very quite.

I have never managed to get a video file to work with AC3 audio on the Vega. It always comes out as a silent movie,(even on headphones).

I've had to convert to AAC to get the audio.

Am I doing something wrong, or have not set something correctly on the Vega??

Cheers for any help!

Guest blcollier
I have never managed to get a video file to work with AC3 audio on the Vega. It always comes out as a silent movie,(even on headphones).

I've had to convert to AAC to get the audio.

Am I doing something wrong, or have not set something correctly on the Vega??

Cheers for any help!

Android doesn't support AC3.

Guest Nemes1s
Android doesn't support AC3.

Not entirely correct. The codec required is not part of native Android. However some players have the codec embedded in the player. Use RockPlayer fof instance. Plays AC3 audio streams.

Guest Nemes1s
I had issues with rockplayer. It kept saying couldn't play. I use arc media.

Emm. Just tried Arc. It wont let me get to my cifs mounts, just seems to show sdcard only. I agree RockPlayer has its problems. Sync always seems to drift but I've not had any other trouble. Would be nice to find another decent player. Will email the Arc developers... :D

Guest stoolzo
Emm. Just tried Arc. It wont let me get to my cifs mounts, just seems to show sdcard only. I agree RockPlayer has its problems. Sync always seems to drift but I've not had any other trouble. Would be nice to find another decent player. Will email the Arc developers... :D

I dont think there are any really good media players out there, I had to have 5 or six players installed at any one time as no one single player played multi formats well, I had to switch between them to find out which one worked with which format.

Hopefully VLC will change that but it seems the port has stalled?

http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-android.git;a=summary

Guest Nemes1s
I dont think there are any really good media players out there, I had to have 5 or six players installed at any one time as no one single player played multi formats well, I had to switch between them to find out which one worked with which format.

VLC would do it. Excellent app. Hope the port will be as good as the Linux one when they eventually complete it.

Guest blcollier
Not entirely correct. The codec required is not part of native Android. However some players have the codec embedded in the player. Use RockPlayer fof instance. Plays AC3 audio streams.

...So what I said was right...? :D

I had issues with rockplayer. It kept saying couldn't play. I use arc media.

This is why I find it easier to transcode to a supported format.

Guest stoolzo
...So what I said was right...? :D

This is why I find it easier to transcode to a supported format.

converting is always an option , however who wants to keep two versions of everything?, I want all my video to be interchangeable between tablet and PC without any loss of quality. However again, as Tegra 2 cannot process H264 high profile this will never happen as I watch everything at 720p minimum as I have a 37 inch pc monitor (actually a re-purposed HDTV which is fantastic as a huge monitor)

What we need is everyone who rips video to ditch MKV containers and switch to MP4.

Guest blcollier
converting is always an option , however who wants to keep two versions of everything?, I want all my video to be interchangeable between tablet and PC without any loss of quality.

The main reason I prefer to transcode is that it saves space - when I was doing some testing at the weekend, I got a 900MB test file (1080p MP4 with h.264 video and AC3 audio) down to around 128MB and still had a perfectly good picture quality for watching on the Vega.

When I'm at home, I don't bother transcoding - I can usually watch videos straight from my PC over the network without a problem (thanks to CIFS and SMB). To be honest, the only problems I've had when watching videos on the vega is the lack of AC3 audio support. RockPlayer supports AC3, but it doesn't process high def too well. If I'm going to be away from home for any length of time though, I'd rather have as large a video library as possibe and for that I need to save space.

However again, as Tegra 2 cannot process H264 high profile this will never happen as I watch everything at 720p minimum as I have a 37 inch pc monitor (actually a re-purposed HDTV which is fantastic as a huge monitor)

What we need is everyone who rips video to ditch MKV containers and switch to MP4.

I found the same info, but when I actually did some encoding tests with this I only found part of x264 High Profile that the Vega didn't like - even then it only made the video judder slightly, it wasn't entirely unwatchable (if you're interested, it was weighted P-frames that the Vega choked on). You can see the Handbrake settings I tested with here.

Guest Nemes1s
The main reason I prefer to transcode is that it saves space - when I was doing some testing at the weekend, I got a 900MB test file (1080p MP4 with h.264 video and AC3 audio) down to around 128MB and still had a perfectly good picture quality for watching on the Vega.

When I'm at home, I don't bother transcoding - I can usually watch videos straight from my PC over the network without a problem (thanks to CIFS and SMB). To be honest, the only problems I've had when watching videos on the vega is the lack of AC3 audio support. RockPlayer supports AC3, but it doesn't process high def too well. If I'm going to be away from home for any length of time though, I'd rather have as large a video library as possibe and for that I need to save space.

I found the same info, but when I actually did some encoding tests with this I only found part of x264 High Profile that the Vega didn't like - even then it only made the video judder slightly, it wasn't entirely unwatchable (if you're interested, it was weighted P-frames that the Vega choked on). You can see the Handbrake settings I tested with here.

Good info. Trouble is I also don't want two versions as I wan't to stream from my NAS storage as I do with watching on either my media system or other machines at highest quality as well as watch on the Vega. RockPlayer seems ok whatever the format including AC encoded but occasionally gets out of sync. Pausing and restarting seems to resolve it on occasion. I guess if your taking movies on the go then transcoding is the only viable option. I also use SubSonic to server up music and video. This allows watching and listening anywhere you have internet access (assuming you allow it of course). SubSonic has built in on the fly transcoding which is an option. I haven't tried OTF transcoding with movies yet but might give that a go.

What would be really useful is a codec pack for Android so that players that look for and use the system codecs can access them. Have looked but couldn't find anything usable. Don't suppose anyone else has found one?

Guest blcollier
What would be really useful is a codec pack for Android so that players that look for and use the system codecs can access them. Have looked but couldn't find anything usable. Don't suppose anyone else has found one?

Which brings us back to needing something like VLC :D. Preferably optimised to support hardware decoding, but I doubt that's a realistic prospect; it would either have to be built for one specific device in mind, or built with support for as many different hardware decoders as possible.

Edited by blcollier

Guest bohemian100

Everyone seems to have strayed from the original question (above) so i presume the answer is no.

Edited by bohemian100

Guest stoolzo
Everyone seems to have strayed from the original question (above) so i presume the answer is no.

no, you haven't read through the replies properly, read again.

Guest CrArC

Just so you know chaps and chapettes, mPlayer is available on Android via a download on XDA-developers. It doesn't resolve any volume issues that I know of (though mine seems audible enough in tests) but it's a great alternative while we wait for VLC, and it's worked miles better than Rockplayer for me, or Vplayer, which magically stopped working on my Streak and now seems to be a paid app anyway.

Guest bohemian100
Just so you know chaps and chapettes, mPlayer is available on Android via a download on XDA-developers. It doesn't resolve any volume issues that I know of (though mine seems audible enough in tests) but it's a great alternative while we wait for VLC, and it's worked miles better than Rockplayer for me, or Vplayer, which magically stopped working on my Streak and now seems to be a paid app anyway.

Is there a direct download link.