iFileManager intents?

Guest mrspaceman

Guest mrspaceman

does anyone know if the iFileManager application exposes the "org.openintents.action.PICK_FILE" intent?

My apps use this intent to allow the user to select a file, but the iFileManager is being opened instead and I cant see how to select a file from it.

(also, is it safe to uninstall iFileManager using titanium backup? I would guess it is safe)

thanks,

andy.

Guest simonta

Search the market/Google. Two apps will help you, one lists all intents registered on the machine, the other enables you to call any intent with or without parameters.

Edited by simonta

Guest mrspaceman
Search the market/Google. Two apps will help you, one lists all intents registered on the machine, the other enables you to call any intent with or without parameters.

thanks, I've downloaded some tools which may help. I'm guessing that iFileExplorer is using the openintents code, which is why my app is starting it up.

for now I've changed the app to use the AndExplorer intent, which is working.

(cool: web base android market will push downloads to my Vega :D

Guest simonta

Most apps I've seen use OIFileManager for this but that said, as a dev of 25 years experience, I would do all I possibly could to remove 3rd party dependencies. If selecting a file is a key part of your app, you might want to do it yourself. There are some copy/paste file manager samples out there.

Guest mrspaceman
Most apps I've seen use OIFileManager for this but that said, as a dev of 25 years experience, I would do all I possibly could to remove 3rd party dependencies. If selecting a file is a key part of your app, you might want to do it yourself. There are some copy/paste file manager samples out there.

it's only a small (and optional) part of my app (being able to import/export data). I was trying to stick to the philosophy of using existing intents if possible, but I guess your right, and I should only use intents that I know will be in the base firmware.

Guest simonta
it's only a small (and optional) part of my app (being able to import/export data). I was trying to stick to the philosophy of using existing intents if possible, but I guess your right, and I should only use intents that I know will be in the base firmware.

Unfortunately, there are no intents in the base OS. *nix, including Android, is some way behind iOS and Windows in providing common controls like file open dialogs. In essence, there aren't any so each Android app currently creates it's own. Yeuch.

I haven't got access to it at the moment so can't check, but I think that the notepad example in the SDK samples includes file open so you should be able to lift the corresponding activity class and drop it into your app.

Cheers

[EDIT] I went looking. Here is the source for the open intents apps - including file manager :D

Have fun!

http://code.google.com/p/openintents/downloads/list

Edited by simonta