Appslib says my Vega is incompatible?

Guest CrArC

Guest CrArC

Im loving the Vega so far, and installed the r8 version of Paul's ROM, which is excellent. But the range of apps for the tablet-sized screen are miniscule!

With that in mind I wanted to take a look at the Archos Appslib store, which allegedly comes preinstalled on Vega (not that I recall seeing though).

However when I install it, it blithely complains that my Vega is an incompatible device.

What must a curious Vega user do to trick the thing into working? :D

I know it's early times for Android tablets, but the extent to which almost all Google Market apps are unoptimised for big screens (including the Market app itself, with blurry preview images for example) is a little disheartening. :D

Guest ViPaSoft

Hi,

'AppsLib' is basically a cut down version of Android Market.

As far as I know, it's only for Archos devices. I used to have an Archos 7HT and Archos 70 IT, and once I had the Market Hack, never used AppsLib.

Guest trevor432990
the extent to which almost all Google Market apps are unoptimised for big screens (including the Market app itself, with blurry preview images for example) is a little disheartening.

If you are installing apps which are not optimised for tablets have you tried using the Spare Parts app and ticking the 'Compatibility Mode' yet? It might help make them look better. :D

Guest CrArC
If you are installing apps which are not optimised for tablets have you tried using the Spare Parts app and ticking the 'Compatibility Mode' yet? It might help make them look better. :D

Alas, it is already ticked :D what difference does it make? Is it this feature which makes some games and apps run in a miniature window in the middle of the screen? Because that's awfully annoying, too! Better than them not running at all, I suppose.

Guest trevor432990
Alas, it is already ticked :D what difference does it make? Is it this feature which makes some games and apps run in a miniature window in the middle of the screen? Because that's awfully annoying, too! Better than them not running at all, I suppose.

Can't remember to be honest but I thought it made apps run in full screen rather than only part. The other thing to check is if you've got AUTO-FIT set in Stock Browser and/or USER AGENT in Dolphin HD browser set to 'Desktop' to get best presentation in those.

Guest blcollier

I would agree that once you have access to the Market, third-party app stores are a bit of a waste of time. The problem with not having many tablet-optimised apps is just an inherent problem with Android 2.x. It's not designed to run on tablet-style devices, so the apps may work but you often don't get the benefit of all the extra goodies like the higher resolution, powerful hardware, increased display size, etc.

It's an awkward position for devs to be in: on the one hand the market is there for tablet apps on 2.x, but on the other it isn't officially endorsed by Google and they have to consider how the apps will look on a range of different hardware platforms and Android versions.

Once Honeycomb gets a little more widespread (and we finally see a version on the Vega!), hopefully this will start to change. At the moment, the only retail (as in, actually on the shelves) Honeycomb device I am aware of is the Xoom - which hasn't even launched in the UK.

I had this option ticked until I tried to play Worms yesterday. Turning this off also seemed to make Fruit Ninja THD run slightly better.

Guest CrArC
I would agree that once you have access to the Market, third-party app stores are a bit of a waste of time. The problem with not having many tablet-optimised apps is just an inherent problem with Android 2.x. It's not designed to run on tablet-style devices, so the apps may work but you often don't get the benefit of all the extra goodies like the higher resolution, powerful hardware, increased display size, etc.

It's an awkward position for devs to be in: on the one hand the market is there for tablet apps on 2.x, but on the other it isn't officially endorsed by Google and they have to consider how the apps will look on a range of different hardware platforms and Android versions.

Once Honeycomb gets a little more widespread (and we finally see a version on the Vega!), hopefully this will start to change. At the moment, the only retail (as in, actually on the shelves) Honeycomb device I am aware of is the Xoom - which hasn't even launched in the UK.

I had this option ticked until I tried to play Worms yesterday. Turning this off also seemed to make Fruit Ninja THD run slightly better.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess it's just a waiting game, then :D I'm sure we're all looking forward to that Honeycomb release!