Using the search bar in the default browser invokes mobile version of Google

Guest CrArC

Guest CrArC

Has anyone else fired up the Modaco ROM for Vega and found the search bar in the default browser returns mobile search reaults?

Can we change that to point to the desktop site? How might that be done? What file must I edit? :D

Guest andrewdolphin
Has anyone else fired up the Modaco ROM for Vega and found the search bar in the default browser returns mobile search reaults?

Can we change that to point to the desktop site? How might that be done? What file must I edit? :D

Does this in Miren Browser as well...

Guest trevor432990

You need to set your User Agent setting to Desktop to stop this.

On Miren you need to Menu->Settings->Advanced->Web Page->User Agent

On Stock Browser it is a bit more complex but do this (thanks to Gambit from AndroidForums):-

Open the Android web browser. In the address bar enter 'about:debug' where you would normally enter a URL and hit enter or Go. Be sure to erase the 'http://www.' that the browser likes to leave in the address bar for you. No page will load and you may or may not get a pop-up message 'Debug mode'. But if you now go to Menu > More > Settings in the browser and scroll to the bottom of the list, you should see a new group of options under the 'Debug' heading. The bottom setting is 'UAString' and if selected will give you the option of enabling your browser to identify itself as Android, Desktop or iPhone. Results after making this switch have been mixed, but go ahead and give it a try if you have a need to. I'm not sure what the other options do, so use at your own risk.

Edited by trevor432990

Guest blcollier
You need to set your User Agent setting to Desktop to stop this.

On Miren you need to Menu->Settings->Advanced->Web Page->User Agent

Will try and find out where it is in stock browser.

I've tried this in Miren; I've set it to "Desktop Chrome". But if I use the built-in search bar it still redirects to mobile google. If I go to google.co.uk however, it works fine.

Guest trevor432990
I've tried this in Miren; I've set it to "Desktop Chrome". But if I use the built-in search bar it still redirects to mobile google. If I go to google.co.uk however, it works fine.

Interesting why the built-in search bar acts differently. Did you close Miren and reload after changing the settings ?

Guest carl rose
Interesting why the built-in search bar acts differently. Did you close Miren and reload after changing the settings ?

Yes, this is a big problem with the latest firmware. Everytime I launch the default browser it goes to the mobile site and before someone says it I did change the string to desktop in settings. It looks like the default browser opens 2 windows, one with the mobile site on top and the normal desktop site at the back. You can see this by launching the browser click on the option key and then windows. If you delete the bottom window (the last launched) it will then only remain the desktop. Is there a way to stop it from opening these 2 windows though?

Edited by carl rose

Guest blcollier

Changing this was one of the first things I did when I installed Miren (every time I install an application on any device, I usually poke around in the settings/config first :(), and it's done the same thing through every close/reload/reset/reboot/reflash/etc :D.

It's not a huge problem as I have google.co.uk bookmarked, it's just an annoying niggle :D.

Guest andrewdolphin
Changing this was one of the first things I did when I installed Miren (every time I install an application on any device, I usually poke around in the settings/config first :(), and it's done the same thing through every close/reload/reset/reboot/reflash/etc :D.

It's not a huge problem as I have google.co.uk bookmarked, it's just an annoying niggle :D.

As above - Miren definitely set to currect user agent, search bar on homescreen defaults to mobile google.

Guest carl rose

Ok, I sorted the double page opening problem. I put google.co.uk in the default browser settings/set homepage and clicked ok. It then opened 2 pages, the one I set and the original mobile one for some reason. After messing around with it for a while i found out what the problem was. To fix the issue and open just the page you set you will have to go to that page and then click options, set homepage and then click use current page. Sorted