[SOLVED] Theming a stock ROM?!

Guest rvdgeer

Guest rvdgeer

What I'm trying to do:

Theming a the PoV Mobii TEGRA Tablet 10 inch Firmware with some nicer icons and a better looking status bar.

Why I'm trying to do this:

Because it can look so much better than it does now!

I noticed most of the P10AN01 devices are on the same ROM version number: 1.09 or 1.10.

My guess is, this means they use the same source to base their ROMS upon...

Because Advent is still on 1.09 while PoV is on 1.10, I want to use the PoV as a starting point.

What's the problem:

No matter how I try to edit the framework-res.apk, I always end up with errors:

• I tried decompiling and recompiling (without changing anything!) with apkmanager and/or apktool, but the framework-res.apk is never the same size as the original and always causes a boot loop.
  • I tried opening the framework-res.apk with 7zip or winrar and copying over a few images, but this always results in a Google Talk authentication error. This affects the Market, so I can't download/update anymore.

I tried:

• pushing the framework using adb with the device booted or in recovery
    • copying the framework using adb with the device booted or in recovery
    • flashing the framework in rrecovery using an update.zip
    • setting the compression level to 0 and the max memory size to 512 in apkmanager

I'm running out of idea's here...

If you know what I'm overlooking (doing wrong) here, please point me in the right direction...

I'm a fast learner, so it wouldn't have to take you a lot of time here...

Extra info:

I only have a Win 7 (32bit) PC available, so it would be nice if it could be done without installing another OS...

[EDIT]

Managed to do it...

Read this post to learn how...

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest chenga

I use this tool by a member on here called Vega Tools to push and pull the framework : http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ega-tools-v3-0/

Get the framework-res.apk using Vega Tools and it should be a .zip file (think it goes to your desktop). Edit what you want and replaced the files and then push to device using Vega Tools.

Just edit the images that ends in '.png' and not '.9.png' and then push to device to see if there is any problem. If there isn't, just move on to the '.9.png' files.

Hope this helps.

Guest rvdgeer
I use this tool by a member on here called Vega Tools to push and pull the framework : http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ega-tools-v3-0/

Get the framework-res.apk using Vega Tools and it should be a .zip file (think it goes to your desktop). Edit what you want and replaced the files and then push to device using Vega Tools.

Just edit the images that ends in '.png' and not '.9.png' and then push to device to see if there is any problem. If there isn't, just move on to the '.9.png' files.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

I know about Vega Tools.

As far as I know, it pulls the framework-res.apk from the device (using adb) and renames it to .zip, so you can edit it with 7zip or winrar.

I did the same, but manually and had no success unfortunately...

Any other tips/suggestions?

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest rvdgeer
Have you tried it with Vega Tools?

What is Vega Tools?

Never heatd about it...

LOL :D

Please see my previous post...

Thanks for trying to help!

Guest rvdgeer

OK, I worked this out myself!

Here a short step-by-step guide...

Warning: if you don't get it right, it might cause boot loops and you might need to reflash the entire ROM

To edit stock framework:

1. Decompile framework-res.apk
  2. Change whatever you want to change
  3. Recompile: system apk=y, Copy additional files=n
  4. Copy the original framework-res.apk to framework-res.new.apk
  5. Open unsignedframework-res.apk in WinRAR or 7zip
  6. Extract changed files to a temp dir (for changes in res/value/*.xml you need resources.arsc)
  7. Close unsignedframework-res.apk
  8. Open framework-res.new.apk in WinRAR (!)
  9. Drag and drop the changed files to the corresponding directories
  10. Choose "Save" (!) (No compression) and "Replace existing files only" in WinRAR
  11. Close framework-res.new.apk
  12. Push framework-res.new.apk to /system/framework/framework-res.apk on the device in recovery (!)