Newbie thinkings, please correct me if i wrong

Guest ryantoss

Guest ryantoss

I'm new to android and i'm willing to learn and enter the world of android. Please help me ^^

These are my "understanding" of android, could anyone provide me some more detail or correct me if i wrong.

1. Android is based on linux, essentially Android is provided by Google then each phone provider twist this Android one again to make them suitable their phone ==> each phone have different version of Android.

2. Substitute we can get one twisted version from other hacker for our phone since the code is open. Mean that for eg i have a Dell Streak then i can get officially Android from Dell or other guy like DJ_Steve.

3. Where the data like "factory setting" is stored. In SD card or internal memory. What i have to do if i want a new sd card. just put it in?

4. I got my phone from black market. This one already unlocked, i'm aware that i will be locked if i change to a new Android version. Am i right?

Feel free to help me out

Regard :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hugobosslives

1) yes. android is linux provided by google. no. phones can have the same version (its like your windows pc will run a version eg xp. another version is vista which you could update to) android has 2.1 eclair (think of this as xp) 2.2 froyo (like vista) and 3.3 gingerbread (windows 7) etc...

2) kinda yes. but you make this sound weird. they just clean up and tweak the OS so its 'better' (either faster, more features, more battery... etc)

3) the rom and essential phone stuff is stored on the internal memory. if you get an new sd just transfer all your crap onto it on your pc. then power off, and wack it in.

4) nope, it should stay unlocked (if your talking abput network provider)