Large file copy failure (video), advice please...

Guest gitf@ce

Guest gitf@ce

Hi... I am trying to copy some video files to my Vega, and am chewing through sd cards like no tomorrow! I connect my Vega via the supplied usb cable, mount the sd card so I can access it from my Win7(64) computer, copy and paste a video file (1gb approx) to the sd card. I get to roughly 20% and it stops. I cancel the operation on my computer (takes awhile), and then I'm stuck on the Vega. I try and unmount the card but it just keeps busy doing nothing! I have no option but to force shutdown the Vega (long button press). When I restart the sd card is unreadable and cannot be formatted using the Vega, my phone, camera or computer.

One thing I notice during copying is the Vega seems to go into standby, can this cause issues? How do you copy your vids?

Any advise greatly appreciated...

Vince.

Guest peter a
Hi... I am trying to copy some video files to my Vega, and am chewing through sd cards like no tomorrow! I connect my Vega via the supplied usb cable, mount the sd card so I can access it from my Win7(64) computer, copy and paste a video file (1gb approx) to the sd card. I get to roughly 20% and it stops. I cancel the operation on my computer (takes awhile), and then I'm stuck on the Vega. I try and unmount the card but it just keeps busy doing nothing! I have no option but to force shutdown the Vega (long button press). When I restart the sd card is unreadable and cannot be formatted using the Vega, my phone, camera or computer.

One thing I notice during copying is the Vega seems to go into standby, can this cause issues? How do you copy your vids?

Vince.

o.k I`m on windows 7 32 bit and coplied gigibytes of data via the cable to the sd card which out a problem .

I would say going into standby can cause big problems , like pull your hard drive out of your computer while it`s still running.

I may the wrong , but on mine in standbye is like power off , with memory and the cpu in standbye.

( all stop , no alarms , no wireless )

try setting the screen time out to a higher time , say 30 mins !!! , with the setting keep awke if the power is pluged in.

Edited by peter a

Guest trevor432990

Vince.

Rather than using the SD card have you tried using a USB Memory Stick via Host mode on the Vega yet? I think it would be a lot quicker and safer that way :D

Guest worto03

Hi, I copy my vids to it wirelessly using es file explorer and use a program called caffine to stop it going into standby while it copies.

Can't remember who but someone on here told me about the app - it works fine and I use it to listen to streaming internet radio on the vega too which kept stopping when it went into standby.

Edited by worto03

Guest blcollier

Settings -> SD Card & device storage -> Un-mount SD card.

Physically eject the card, plug it into a USB card reader, copy files in Windows Explorer (or OS X's Finder, Nautilus, etc...).

Am I being distinctly low-tech with my approach...? :D

Guest peter a
Hi, I copy my vids to it wirelessly using es file explorer and use a program called caffine to stop it going into standby while it copies.

Can't remember who but someone on here told me about the app - it works fine and I use it to listen to streaming internet radio on the vega too which kept stopping when it went into standby.

good call on the es file explorer.

that saves have to plug in the cable to copy my videos !!!!

Guest simonta

And always eject the card in Windows before you remount on the Vega, especially after a long file copy or, if you find that too much hassle, turn off write caching in Windows.

Edited by simonta

Guest stoolzo

why are people suggesting workarounds when this should be a basic feature of this device. Mine copies fine and always has. Check your display time outs and set to high as poss, also check PC power settings to ensure your USB controller isnt going to sleep.

Try copying smaller files that complete before it times out, that way you will know that it is the timeout that is causing it. Also check your PC event logs, if the disk is dropping you should get delayed write errors.

Is the file corrupt?

Guest gitf@ce
why are people suggesting workarounds when this should be a basic feature of this device

Agreed, but I asked... "How do you copy your vids?" :D Files are good.

I really appreciate everyone's input, and will take on board all the info you have given me when I return home this eve.

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest Sanddancer75

I used to just pop the SD card into a card reader on the PC. Now I just use UPnPlay to stream stuff from my NAS is I'm in the house.

Guest peter a
I used to just pop the SD card into a card reader on the PC. Now I just use UPnPlay to stream stuff from my NAS is I'm in the house.

To check files on this pc aren't corrupted I use a file hasher, like md5summer etc.

That way I can test if even a bit is corrupted.

Not looked if there is a android md5 hasher, so you could see the hash code directly on the vega.

Guest carl rose

samba wireless file transfer is another option but anything you do wirelessly is very slow. Your best bet is a card reader or like someone said make sure the vega does not go into standby while transfering by either touching the screen every so often or puttin a longer time to go to standby