Honeycomb 3.0

Guest moghm

Guest Mark_L

I've done a bit more digging after seeing lots of stuff turning up about this, and every single instance I can see of this bit of 'News' goes back to this same chap and his site at mobile-review.com.

I've even found the origional article that seems to have started it all off, and translated it from russian with thanks to google translate..

http://mobile-review.com/articles/2011/birulki-112.shtml#2

"Producers wishing to produce plates for Android 3.0, sign a separate license agreement with Google. It also contains a number of very interesting points. In particular, the producer who created the device OS version 2.x, it can not update it to 3.0. It is possible that this was the reason that the market HTC Flyer in most versions will be released immediately on the third version of the OS."

I cant find any copies of the agreement that manufacturers would apparently have to sign out in the public domain, and I can't find any official announcement from Google about this either.

There is no sign of where he came by this information, no mention of a source. In fact one has to ask, how does he know this? How can he know this? Does he work for the big manufacturers? Does he work for Google?

Has he somehow seen a copy of this new agreement?

So, at the moment this whole thing seems to come down to one heavily apple biased blogger and a few sentances he put in what appears to be a russian language only article.

There may be something behind this, but I want to know his source on this one before I get overly concerned.

Edited by Mark_L

Guest cobra111
I've done a bit more digging after seeing lots of stuff turning up about this, and every single instance I can see of this bit of 'News' goes back to this same chap and his site at mobile-review.com.

I've even found the origional article that seems to have started it all off, and translated it from russian with thanks to google translate..

http://mobile-review.com/articles/2011/birulki-112.shtml#2

"Producers wishing to produce plates for Android 3.0, sign a separate license agreement with Google. It also contains a number of very interesting points. In particular, the producer who created the device OS version 2.x, it can not update it to 3.0. It is possible that this was the reason that the market HTC Flyer in most versions will be released immediately on the third version of the OS."

I cant find any copies of the agreement that manufacturers would apparently have to sign out in the public domain, and I can't find any official announcement from Google about this either.

There is no sign of where he came by this information, no mention of a source. In fact one has to ask, how does he know this? How can he know this? Does he work for the big manufacturers? Does he work for Google?

Has he somehow seen a copy of this new agreement?

So, at the moment this whole thing seems to come down to one heavily apple biased blogger and a few sentances he put in what appears to be a russian language only article.

There may be something behind this, but I want to know his source on this one before I get overly concerned.

Eldar has always been the kind of person to backup any company that pays him or gives him early access to new pieces of kit, I remember in early 2000 he was going Nokia crazy then a couple of years later it was Samsung and then up until last 18 months ago it was Sony Ericsson, and now it's apple, when he stops getting what he wants he'll start looking elsewhere, When he goes off a company he really throws his rattles out of the pram and makes the point of trying to kill every device produced by the old favorite produces in the press, he even started going at forum members of mobile review trying to make them sound stupid if they pulled up any points that were badly biased against the facts as they came out.

Edited by cobra111

Guest moghm
While your point about cluttering is valid, I must say that I royally hate scouring a billion posts in a thread for singular updates on something.

If it's new news, I think it's valid to post a new thread - that way, the actual news is disseminated effectively, rather than people having to wade through pages of discussion just to find a single post with an update.

If threads could be split effectively into 'subthreads', it would be easier to filter out discussion to access the posts that caused all the ruckus. :D

Exactly my thoughts. thakyou.

Guest rferrett

Really? Is it so hard to take a look at these threads to see if the latest post is intersting. It takes seconds, whereas 80 gazillion threads all being called something like Honeycomb Latest, news on Honeycomb blah blah blah is a royal pain in the arse.

Im sorry I just beleive it is because people cannot be bothered to look for the existing threads and it is therefore easier to start a new one and to hell with everyone else.

Grrrr....

</rant>

Guest peter a
Really? Is it so hard to take a look at these threads to see if the latest post is intersting. It takes seconds, whereas 80 gazillion threads all being called something like Honeycomb Latest, news on Honeycomb blah blah blah is a royal pain in the arse.

Im sorry I just beleive it is because people cannot be bothered to look for the existing threads and it is therefore easier to start a new one and to hell with everyone else.

Grrrr....

</rant>

until you can use a SD card, which no HC devices will do right now it`s a non starter for the vega.

Just sit back.

The "are we there yet", doesn`t get you there any faster .

Guest bennji_boy
Before we switch back to the other topic, remember that the Vega was not licensed by Google to use 2.x which means they could be considered for a fresh licence for 3.0, however its all down to the OEM, Shuttle.

I've got to say unless HC makes the naked ladies appear on my screen any faster I'm not that bothered about it.

I mean what difference will it make?

Guest peter a
I've got to say unless HC makes the naked ladies appear on my screen any faster I'm not that bothered about it.

Is that Big Skinned naked ladies or just normal ones ?

Guest cjtkd

It will make getting the naked ladies on your screen are more user friendly experience.. :D

Guest bennji_boy
It will make getting the naked ladies on your screen are more user friendly experience.. :D

If it makes it possible to browse using one hand then bring it on :D

Guest zzleezz
If it makes it possible to browse using one hand then bring it on :D

LoL

Reminded me of a tweet I saw the other day, might have been Charlie Sheen but I could be wrong, went something like this -

"If you sit on your left hand till it goes numb then it feels like someone else is turning the pages" :D

Guest jameng
until you can use a SD card, which no HC devices will do right now it`s a non starter for the vega.

Just sit back.

Don't know if this is relevant so forgive me if it's not but the ZTE Blade has a Honeycomb port with SD card working I read the otherday

Guest schprlock
Don't know if this is relevant so forgive me if it's not but the ZTE Blade has a Honeycomb port with SD card working I read the otherday

The problem is not if it's SDcard or flash memory, honeycomb couldn't care less. The problem is having 2 different storages under /.

On the Galaxy S (Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread) there are problems with the SD because it shows up as a folder ('extrenal_sd') under the internal flash ('sd') file structure. Programs that need data on the flash memory always use the internal memory (and there are other problems).

The problem is the new trend (that I really don't understand) of having internal memory and/or SD. It will be sorted, though, but until it is, it's still not the problem with honeycomb in the Vega.

Guest ricosub

this seems to be the official Google position about HB

Google has decided to delay the release of the Honeycomb source-code to the general public for now. If you are a member of the Open Handset Alliance you can get access to 3.0. Also, other manufacturers are able to get access to the source-code upon request, but only for use on tablets.

Ultimately, Google wants to avoid contaminating Android's marketing image because some low-end device makers forced out buggy "Honeycomb phones". Here's what Andy Rubin, CEO of Google had to say on the matter,

Android 3.0, Honeycomb, was designed from the ground up for devices with larger screen sizes and improves on Android favorites such as widgets, multi-tasking, browsing, notifications and customization…We didn’t want to think about what it would take for the same software to run on phones. It would have required a lot of additional resources and extended our schedule beyond what we thought was reasonable. So we took a shortcut.

While we’re excited to offer these new features to Android tablets, we have more work to do before we can deliver them to other device types including phones… Until then, we’ve decided not to release Honeycomb to open source.

Before anyone could cry foul and compare Google to Apple, Mr. Rubin added,

"[Google is] committed to providing Android as an open platform across many device types and will publish the source as soon as it’s ready."

It is probably a bit nerve racking for developers and enthusiasts that Google has taken this step. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that they intend to begin "locking down" the product, but one could also look at it from the standpoint that Google is serious about protecting 'Andy' from being "dumbed-down" too much. Also, this fine-tuning process will help them nail-down extra security measures to help reduce malware issues in the future. What do you guys think? Is this a signal of sad times for Android, or just smart business strategy?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidPolice

Edited by ricosub

Guest -= 71baker =-

Just sit back.

The Asus Eepad Transformer has HC and SD-Card support. And can be bought in stores now.

Guest Mickgoodie1
vega may miss the honey party but if the smartsurfer (mentioned in several other threads) gets it as the seller here advises then this should be a very easy port, very easy indeed.

http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/smartbook-sur...ready-p-76.html

They are selling this as honey pretty much guaranteed, they may not be reputable though.

EDIT: I have mailed the company to find out if they either know something we dont or are willing to provide a money back guarantee it gets Honey - and if so how.

I guess this smart book runs a newer tegra 2 chip, or is it the same as the vega? For over 200 quid more is that the price you are going to pay for HC?

If google are going to enter the tablet this year, then they will want to hold onto HC for as long as possible to try to take a slice out of apples market share. Did anyone read this page. It did say that the smart book ships with froyo 2.2 and can be upgraded to HC

http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/why-honeycomb...eplace-2.x.html

Guest CrArC
this seems to be the official Google position about HB

Google has decided to delay the release of the Honeycomb source-code to the general public for now. If you are a member of the Open Handset Alliance you can get access to 3.0. Also, other manufacturers are able to get access to the source-code upon request, but only for use on tablets.

Ultimately, Google wants to avoid contaminating Android's marketing image because some low-end device makers forced out buggy "Honeycomb phones". Here's what Andy Rubin, CEO of Google had to say on the matter,

Android 3.0, Honeycomb, was designed from the ground up for devices with larger screen sizes and improves on Android favorites such as widgets, multi-tasking, browsing, notifications and customization…We didn’t want to think about what it would take for the same software to run on phones. It would have required a lot of additional resources and extended our schedule beyond what we thought was reasonable. So we took a shortcut.

While we’re excited to offer these new features to Android tablets, we have more work to do before we can deliver them to other device types including phones… Until then, we’ve decided not to release Honeycomb to open source.

Before anyone could cry foul and compare Google to Apple, Mr. Rubin added,

"[Google is] committed to providing Android as an open platform across many device types and will publish the source as soon as it’s ready."

It is probably a bit nerve racking for developers and enthusiasts that Google has taken this step. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that they intend to begin "locking down" the product, but one could also look at it from the standpoint that Google is serious about protecting 'Andy' from being "dumbed-down" too much. Also, this fine-tuning process will help them nail-down extra security measures to help reduce malware issues in the future. What do you guys think? Is this a signal of sad times for Android, or just smart business strategy?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidPolice

I'm gutted they haven't bothered to reassure us with a deadline of some form. They've really left us in a limbo of uncertainty here.

Guest warriorscot

Shouldn't matter too much, manufacturers can get hold of it and if we are going to get it anytime soon it is going to be from them.

Guest gingercat
Shouldn't matter too much, manufacturers can get hold of it and if we are going to get it anytime soon it is going to be from them.

^ wot he said! Take a chill pill people, the Vega didn't come with the market or Flash installed, quelle surprise, someone (Paul) produced a ROM that gave us those. We don't have an official Honencomb ROM yet? Don't worry, someone (official or otherwise) will produce one at some point!

Guest CrArC
Don't worry, someone (official or otherwise) will produce one at some point!

^ That's the bit I hate the most! I'm perfectly patient when I have the when!

Guest Lennyuk

Well we have not yet ruled out the possibility of using the limited sources we have at the moment to build a rom, only question is how stable would it be, and how much would work/not work.

It will help once we get AOSP but chances are we will have some form of a HC rom before then, it just might not all work.

Well we have not yet ruled out the possibility of using the limited sources we have at the moment to build a rom, only question is how stable would it be, and how much would work/not work.

It will help once we get AOSP but chances are we will have some form of a HC rom before then, it just might not all work.

Well at least we don't have too many features to worry about :D

Guest add.thebad
exactly, it does stack the odds a little on our side :D

engadget say htc flyer will get honeycomb now so hopefully the rumour about not being to upgrade was just a lie

Guest worto03

The Acer Aspire Iconia 7" tablet is being advertised on amazon as 512kb (I assume they mean mb) of RAM and shipping with Honeycomb so maybe the 512mb of RAM in the Vega won't be such an issue?

Acer Iconia at amazon

Not that I'm too sure what the big deal is - the vega is a great bit of kit with Paul's r8 on it, whatwill we gain from honeycomb? sorry if thats a stupid question - I've not done any research on honeycomb at all - I'm new to Android although I am converted - I have a San Francisco now too :D