28 Jul Fr19: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (new: custom kernel)

Guest PaulOBrien

Please check ur date is it set correctly?

The time is right... set to automatic... I could download on the stock ROM... never had any troubles on earlier releases... and dunno what I overlooked... the phone is the same, and everything seems to be working great, except download form marked

EDIT:... Dammit... the date was set for 15/5-2011 instead of 15/4-2011... tricky little bastard... thanks for heads up :)

Edited by lni

Guest maedox

As annoying as all the recent Market/date issues are, I can't help but wonder what the hell Google was thinking when they didn't provide an error message for it. It's the easiest thing in the world to connect to the nearest NTP server and check if the data/time is within those few minutes that are required for correct SSL operation. Even when our piece of sh*t SSL-VPN boxes are out of whack they tell you "Clock is out of sync with LDAP server" when you log in. A large number of mobile network providers don't support synchronizing time with the network, so why doesn't mobile phones include an NTP client? Pro tip: Clock sync from the Market works really well for rooted devices.

I think i've found the problem that's causing the on-install lockups!

It's related to encryption in the kernel I believe, i'll try and produce a fix when i'm back.

P

I think i've found the problem that's causing the on-install lockups!

It's related to encryption in the kernel I believe, i'll try and produce a fix when i'm back.

P

that will be very nice !

i am playing allot with apps and it is a pain in the ass when its lagging during the install.

Guest sibbor
that will be very nice !

i am playing allot with apps and it is a pain in the ass when its lagging during the install.

Yeah, same here. Been missing out a lot of apps when I was on my Hero, so downloading all the time now ;-)

Edited by sibbor

Guest conceptics

Hi there everyone!

First of all, I'm new to the Android scene and the LG990 just happens to be my first Android phone. I've been following this thread and the MoDaCO scene with great interest and wanted to express my upmost appreciation to your efforts Paul. I started with FR10 and after FR11 am now on FR12 with the new band flash.

I have however made some experiences that possibly could be related to MCR that I wanted to share.

- On FR10, my phone used to freeze up quite a bit (to the point that only taking out the battery would save it) - strangely, only while using the SIM card of my provider Sunrise. When using the SIM card of the provider Swisscom, the phone never locked up. To enhance this, a mate of mine who has the same phone with identical FR10 build (we used the same SDcard to flash our phones) did not have the same symptoms with his phone using his Swisscom SIM Card. This may point to a possible issue that's provider dependant (not sure how much sense that makes, but it's the only thing I can think of?). Fortunately, as of FR11 and now FR12, no such freezes [so far], so perhaps this was solved!

- More glaring issue on FR12: I can't send any MMS using my Sunrise SIM card. Oddly, receiving MMS and internet connections work flawlessly. My provider Sunrise in Switzerland ensured me today that it shouldn't be at their end. The APN information all are entered correctly. I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure MMS worked with FR10.

Again, my friend with identical phone and FR12 (but provider Swisscom) can send MMS to me (which I can also receive).

- Another small issue I've encountered since FR11 and still is the same on FR12: If I have 3G enabled, sometimes I can't send any SMS messages for about 5-10 seconds. Keep trying and resend them and eventually it goes through. This does not happen if I have 2G enabled/3G disabled. Not sure where this issue could come from... Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't - though it's more often than not. :S

I know this sounds pretty vague and probably not much to make any educated guesses. Did anyone notice similar issues while using MCR?

What can I do to help solve such issues? In which log files should I keep an eye out?

Cheers from Switzerland

Guest maedox
Hi there everyone!

*snip*

Did you try a third party app for sending SMS/MMS? You could try something like Handcent or ChompSMS and see if the same thing happens.

Edited by maedox

Guest conceptics
Did you try a third party app for sending SMS/MMS? You could try something like Handcent or ChompSMS and see if the same thing happens.

Yes I have. Just tried it with handcent - same result. MMS Message simply hangs with message "sending..." and after a few minutes the status message "failed" pops up. For the record, I've tried small attachments like vcards or small pictures as well. Same result.

EDIT: For the record: Just tried my Swisscom SIM card and the MMS was able to send using the stock messaging program. :S So it is something provider and MCR related... Strange. Any ideas?

PS: the Sunrise SIM card does work. Just tested that on a different phone and it can send MMS without any problems.

Edited by conceptics

Guest zippyioa
Just flashed a custom rom from the kitchen onto the 2x that arrived today - thank god for your efforts Paul, your ROM is SO much better than stock....

A few initial things I have spotted that would be nice to get fixed:

1) No way to delete unwanted APNs (please advise me if I am missing something!) - I have also discovered that you cant edit any of the default APNs either

2) No option to boot into recovery/reboot when hitting power button

3) Clock on top bar keeps disappearing - reboot fixes it for a while

Any ideas anyone??

Guest BrumBrum74
Yes I have. Just tried it with handcent - same result. MMS Message simply hangs with message "sending..." and after a few minutes the status message "failed" pops up. For the record, I've tried small attachments like vcards or small pictures as well. Same result.

EDIT: For the record: Just tried my Swisscom SIM card and the MMS was able to send using the stock messaging program. :S So it is something provider and MCR related... Strange. Any ideas?

PS: the Sunrise SIM card does work. Just tested that on a different phone and it can send MMS without any problems.

I have same problem here. Cannot send or receive mms. Tried stocksms/mms program and GoSMS Pro Can send and receive mms if I put simcard in a different phone.

Guest alvari
Just flashed a custom rom from the kitchen onto the 2x that arrived today - thank god for your efforts Paul, your ROM is SO much better than stock....

A few initial things I have spotted that would be nice:

1) No way to delete unwanted APNs (please advise me if I am missing something!)

2) No option to boot into recovery/reboot when hitting power button

1) Install APN backup & restore from Market.

for #2 I have no ideas.

Guest djmcnz

I have same problem here. Cannot send or receive mms. Tried stocksms/mms program and GoSMS Pro Can send and receive mms if I put simcard in a different phone.

A suggestion - check to make sure your provider "APN type" is set to:

default,supl,mms

And ensure you have the stock Mms.apk installed on /system.

Guest zippyioa
1) Install APN backup & restore from Market.

for #2 I have no ideas.

1 - now fixed - THANKS Alvari :)

I think 2) is a feature of Cyanogenmod roms - not sure as I have been using MCR for so long now :)

Guest XtremeCoolz

how about transition from homescreen to homescreen. I found out that FR12 doesnt do that in a smooth sliding way but just jump directly to the main homescreen.

And it's less smooth than FR11 with the older baseband.

Guest BrumBrum74
A suggestion - check to make sure your provider "APN type" is set to:

default,supl,mms

And ensure you have the stock Mms.apk installed on /system.

Can't seem to edit any of my APNs. Looks like I'll have to delete them and add all by myself.

Guest djmcnz
Can't seem to edit any of my APNs. Looks like I'll have to delete them and add all by myself.

Read the whole page...

Edit: the previous page now lol

Edited by djmcnz

Guest MrMastodon

I have not had any problems rooting, flashing recovery, flashing ROM, upgrading baseband etc., and I have never had any of the hickups described by many, until FR12 (apart from the "Norwegian bug" dercribed by Trym). Now my phone has turned itself off twice, and rebooted a couple of times. I have reflashed FR12 to see if the problem withstands, after 12h so far nothing :) Only difference is that I removed Car Home, as I don't own a car :)

So far so good, but another weird thing has turned up.

The lockscreen sometimes forgets to "refresh" bebore displaying new information.

Has anyone else had this problem? Only way I can make it go away is reboot the phone...

It looks like this:

post-737098-1302943320_thumb.png

Anyone else noticed this?

Edited by MrMastodon

Guest Yamas85
If you want to return to ClockworkMod's recovery mode, when you switch on while holding the volume-down button, keep holding it down until you see the small Android text appear on the screen (like 5 seconds or so maybe) - I found that if you release it too early it goes into that S/W Upgrade screen

Thx man! It worked... Guess I just panic'd and wasnt patient enough :)

Guest MaliciousKen
- Another small issue I've encountered since FR11 and still is the same on FR12: If I have 3G enabled, sometimes I can't send any SMS messages for about 5-10 seconds. Keep trying and resend them and eventually it goes through. This does not happen if I have 2G enabled/3G disabled. Not sure where this issue could come from... Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't - though it's more often than not. :S

Cheers from Switzerland

I have the same problem and it exist even in stock rom.

Went to LG service center, but what they did was to reflash the stock rom again. The problem still persist.

Too bad I couldn't replicate the problem while I was at the service center. The Technician couldn't do anything about it.

Guest maedox

I'm getting less and less impressed with this phone. Stock was terrible, but Paul has made an awesome job fixing LG's mistakes.

There's still some serious lag and stuttering issues going on when (un)installing/upgrading apps, playing music with Spotify specifically and using HDMI output. Not necessarily at the same time mind you.

If this was a Windows PC I would instantly blame a bad sound or display driver.

Does anyone have any ideas? I believe this could be a IO/DMA and/or interrupt issue as it seems some processes gain too high priority and sound output starts stuttering here and there. I'm guessing someone has to mess around in the kernel code to figure it out.

On a side note, I have exactly the same apps installed on the Optimus 2X as I had on my Nexus One running CM7 very smoothly.

Guest Caracal
I have not had any problems rooting, flashing recovery, flashing ROM, upgrading baseband etc., and I have never had any of the hickups described by many, until FR12 (apart from the "Norwegian bug" dercribed by Trym). Now my phone has turned itself off twice, and rebooted a couple of times. I have reflashed FR12 to see if the problem withstands, after 12h so far nothing :) Only difference is that I removed Car Home, as I don't own a car :P

So far so good, but another weird thing has turned up.

The lockscreen sometimes forgets to "refresh" bebore displaying new information.

Has anyone else had this problem? Only way I can make it go away is reboot the phone...

It looks like this:

post-737098-1302943320_thumb.png

Anyone else noticed this?

Do you have the App Juice Defender ??

Since Fr12 i and some other guys in a german forum had the same problems with reboot and phone turning off.

In Fr11 we dont had issues.....

But if you disable Juice Defender on Fr12 ther are no reboots and turn offs any more.

So we think it has to do with this combo.... Fr12 - Juice Defender.

Can some one confirm that theory ?

EDIT: i see in your screenshot that you have Juice Defender.... :) ;) :( So sorry for that question :)

Edited by Caracal

Guest Trym Hansen
I'm getting less and less impressed with this phone. Stock was terrible, but Paul has made an awesome job fixing LG's mistakes.

There's still some serious lag and stuttering issues going on when (un)installing/upgrading apps, playing music with Spotify specifically and using HDMI output. Not necessarily at the same time mind you.

If this was a Windows PC I would instantly blame a bad sound or display driver.

Does anyone have any ideas? I believe this could be a IO/DMA and/or interrupt issue as it seems some processes gain too high priority and sound output starts stuttering here and there. I'm guessing someone has to mess around in the kernel code to figure it out.

On a side note, I have exactly the same apps installed on the Optimus 2X as I had on my Nexus One running CM7 very smoothly.

I'm thinking along the same lines, but I'm (in addition) leaning towards a buggy external sd-card driver. I've done some testing, and I can force a reboot within 12 hours of standby by simply formatting a 16GB card using 4K sectors. I can get it to reboot within minutes by inserting a card with known bad blocks.

It seems all of the stuttering and lagging appear when something has just been written to the card and the system is flushing the buffer. The more has been written, the longer the stutter.

The phone formats cards with 32K sectors (both the internal and external), while the FAT32-guidelines recommends 8K-sectors for a 16GB-card which I'm using, and 4K for the size of the internal one. I'm on the 13th hour of testing with that, and so far it's going well, with some of the known "Bad" applications installed. I'm thinking these aren't really the problem, but that they just behave in a way which exposes the error much sooner. (Car Home, F-secure, Green Power, Juice defender.) If I'm right then any phone with an external card will crash sooner or later (unless some internal clean-up routine is able to recover the internal state.)

Will report any findings after a few more days of stability testing.

::Trym.

Guest Frank Sem-Jacobsen
I'm thinking along the same lines, but I'm (in addition) leaning towards a buggy external sd-card driver. I've done some testing, and I can force a reboot within 12 hours of standby by simply formatting a 16GB card using 4K sectors. I can get it to reboot within minutes by inserting a card with known bad blocks.

It seems all of the stuttering and lagging appear when something has just been written to the card and the system is flushing the buffer. The more has been written, the longer the stutter.

The phone formats cards with 32K sectors (both the internal and external), while the FAT32-guidelines recommends 8K-sectors for a 16GB-card which I'm using, and 4K for the size of the internal one. I'm on the 13th hour of testing with that, and so far it's going well, with some of the known "Bad" applications installed. I'm thinking these aren't really the problem, but that they just behave in a way which exposes the error much sooner. (Car Home, F-secure, Green Power, Juice defender.) If I'm right then any phone with an external card will crash sooner or later (unless some internal clean-up routine is able to recover the internal state.)

Will report any findings after a few more days of stability testing.

::Trym.

There is also definitely problem with the Bluetooth driver. I posted a log previously in this thread which, as far as I and Google could see, was caused by enabling Bluetooth when switching of aeroplane mode.

Guest Involver

Well... I didn't have the reboot issues with stock and FR10. This morning I flashed FR12 and the reboots started. Did another erase - reinstall and the reboots are still there. I am using Juicedefender, on all roms. I really hope you guys find out what's causing these reboots, as the phone is pretty much unreliable and unusable like this... :)