info needed again folks

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest Crinos512

Rom StreakDroid 1.9.0 ( w/o Perfmod )

SD Card: "SU16G" ( SanDisk Class 2 MicroSD HC )

1st Run: Write: 3.4, Read: 7.3

2nd Run: Write: 5.4, Read: 3.1

3rd Run: Write: 4.6, Read: 3.6

Avg: Write: 4.5, Read: 4.7

Ran the following:

su

echo 8192 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/read_ahead_kb

echo 128 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/max_sectors_kb

1st Run: Write: 5.3, Read 9.3

2nd Run: Write: 3.0, Read: 8.2

3rd Run: Write: 6.4, Read: 3.6

Avg: Write: 4.9, Read: 7.0

Guest payce

Just a remark:

I tried to test the read/write speeds with and without the tweak, BUT: The benchmark is *SO* inconsistent. Results vary from ~ 2 MB/sec up to ~ 100 MB/sec for both read and write (and both with/without tweak). It seems like the benchmark tests the buffer and not the SD card sometimes. Prior to evaluation of the tweak I would heavily suggest to change the benchmark of that tweak. That "SD Tools" App is pretty awkward and inconsistent.

Perhaps test "System Benchmark" of AnTuTu?

Guest alert_bri

Well, the benchmark may be very inconsistent, but I ran a low compression video which normally jerks every few seconds, and it runs much more smoothly with the mod... That's real-world useful so thanks Steve, hope you include something similar in you your next release.

Cheers

Brian

Guest chrisrotolo

After applying tweaks = /2048kb/ ran SDTools 3x

Read speed were never below 100Mb/s! highest I seen it peak was like 208Mb/s! ZOMG!

:D

now what can we do about the write speeds? (maybe that will help snap pictures a little faster)

so my first 5 runs before tweak averages were: 12.14 MB/s Read & 44.12 MB/s Write

after tweak 3 runs average: 45.2 MB/s Read & 113.9 MB/s Write

thats approximately 375% better Read and 256% better write

NICE! keep in mind SDTools may not be the most accurate benchmark.

post-791082-1301519132_thumb.png

post-791082-1301519141_thumb.png

post-791082-1301519151_thumb.png

Edited by chrisrotolo

Guest Mobile Guy
ok if anyone fancys testing with my tweaks run the following as root in a terminal (either adb or on device) the changes will only stick until a reboot though

then rerun the bench

Are you using the mods from this post?: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1010807

How do I make this a permanent change using adb?

I tried adding

# sd card read speed fix

write /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/read_ahead_kb 2048

write /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/max_sectors_kb 128

and

# sd card read fix

write /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb 2048

to the init.rc file, but no real noticeable results.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mobile Guy

Guest xO Gideon Ox

-------------

WITHOUT PATCH

-------------

-----------

AVG:

-----------

WITH PATCH

-----------

-----------

AVG:

-----------

Does seem to be a very inconsistent tool :D can't tell if i've definitely got a boost or not

-----------

So to test it a bit more i killed the processes to make sure it wasn't re-referencing the same information and glitching...

Ran again and got....

44.2/75.7

Now are these or the lower scores the real?

It seems when we get a lower score it's hanging on the progress bar for a while...when we get the high score it just writes straight through...it looks like something else intefers with this to stop it giving an accurate reading each time...

Any other thoughts?

Guest xO Gideon Ox
might be worth trying to find a diff bench app

Putting the bench to 1 side for a mo....i changed the first value to 3072 just out of curiosity....now am i going mad or does the device seem a lot more fluent/responsive? could be a placebo and nothing relating to this hehe anyone able to test it for them?

I'm using the stock sd card by the way

Guest asdfcrash

Patriot Class 10 16gb on 1.9.0

1st run

5.6MB/s write

11.9MB/s read

2nd run

same write

13.1 MB/s read

3rd run

6 MB/s write

12.9 MB/s read

Sandisk class 2 16gb on 1.9.0

1st run

7.3 MB/s write

9.6 MB/s read

2nd run

5.3 MB/s write

9.9 MB/s read

3rd run

4.2 MB/s write

9.8 MB/s read

Side note. My streak came with the 16gb class 2 card, and I was unable to watch converted videos on my streak with out using very low quality settings. So I bought the class 10 card and was able to watch videos

at an acceptable quality level ( 800x480 at 1000kb ). I just mention that because the cards surprised me that they are so close in read speed.

Guest xO Gideon Ox

FYI

This app has been updated....readings are more consistent now...i'll be running mine again with various settings...i'd advise testing again so we can get some real results

Guest Crinos512
ok if anyone fancys testing with my tweaks run the following as root in a terminal (either adb or on device) the changes will only stick until a reboot though

then rerun the bench

I found an app on the market called SD Increase which is supposed to increase the read/write ops of a SD Card by letting the user increase the size of the cache from a default value of 128k up to 4096k ... not sure if it does the exact changes that DJ_Steve suggested here, but if not it could be an interesting addition.

Guest fards

echo 4096 > /sys/block/innersd0/queue/read_ahead_kb seems to give better results in quadrant than the stock settings, and a bit more overall snappiness ! (you cant use the sdtest app to check the internal card speed though).

quadrant I/o test 1190 with noatime set as well, which is up quite a lot from the stock 700 or so ..

if you're on streakmod 1.9.0 you can add to init.djsteve.sh

mount -o noatime,nodiratime,remount,rw /dev/block/innersd0p6 /data

mount -o noatime,nodiratime,remount,rw /dev/block/innersd0p5 /cache

Guest synaptic.flaws
echo 4096 > /sys/block/innersd0/queue/read_ahead_kb seems to give better results in quadrant than the stock settings, and a bit more overall snappiness ! (you cant use the sdtest app to check the internal card speed though).

quadrant I/o test 1190 with noatime set as well, which is up quite a lot from the stock 700 or so ..

Any potential conflicts with perfmod?

Edited by synaptic.flaws

I found an app on the market called SD Increase which is supposed to increase the read/write ops of a SD Card by letting the user increase the size of the cache from a default value of 128k up to 4096k ... not sure if it does the exact changes that DJ_Steve suggested here, but if not it could be an interesting addition.

Increasing cache size to speed the reading process is discussed in detail in xda. The increase is more with reading than writing.

THe value that has to be set is variable depending on the card.

I have the sandisk 32gb class2 card ( that came with streak) and found that 2048 is the best one.

Thanks for the app link. This will make life easier

Fards, this should be a great find. Will try and let u know.

Am currently on stock 345

Guest chrisrotolo

@ FARDS,

I added the echo 4096 > /sys/block/innersd0/queue/read_ahead_kb to init.djsteve.sh,

how about these 2 lines?

are those commands for terminal or can we add those lines to init.djsteve.sh as well?

cheers!!

Guest fards
@ FARDS,

I added the echo 4096 > /sys/block/innersd0/queue/read_ahead_kb to init.djsteve.sh,

how about these 2 lines?

are those commands for terminal or can we add those lines to init.djsteve.sh as well?

cheers!!

Init.

not convinced the Echo works through the init on boot ( the mount definitely does)

however if you use root explorer and manually execute the init.djsteve then the Echo does work

Edited by fards

Guest chrisrotolo
Init, not convinced the. Echo works through the init on boot ( the mount definitely does)

however if you use root explorer and manually execute the init.djsteve then the Echo does work

thanks, im using the sd increase app, which has set on boot option.

:)

cool! thanks

Guest stinky817

using the stock 16gb card with only 220MB free... i get

1st run:

write 5.1

read 9.3

2nd run:

write 7.1

read 9.0

3rd run: (app froze during writing, had to FC and start over)

write 7.6

read 10.6

after code

1st run:

write 7.2

read 11.8

2nd run: (app froze again during writing)

write 8.2

read 11.0

3rd run:

write 9.2

read 10.7

not too much of an improvement on my phone...now i'd LOVE to find a way to test the internal SD... compare that with some people... i replaced mine with a 2gb class 4 because mine died :) but my phone has been really sluggish since then... thinking that is the cause of the sluggishness