usb flash pen drive

Guest peter a

Guest peter a

Hi , new to android so learning as I go.

I`ve just leant about switched usb modes, so I can use my usb flash pen drive.

o.k , my problem is now I can access my pen drive, I have no clue how full the drive is.

Is there any apps which can show the space used / free on this drive.

And is there a safe why to eject it

Thanks in advance Peter A

Edited by peter a

o.k , my problem is now I can access my pen drive, I have no clue how full the drive is.

There must be a couple on the Market that will show, I spotted one called DiskUsage which may be what you want.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.g...e=search_result

The Linux command "df" will show you the space used/available for each mount point but that's command line stuff, for which you would need to install a terminal emulator on the Vega.

As for safely ejecting it, straight forward unmounting does not work as the automatic mount utility or something appears to hang on to the mounted device.

The only option that is reliable is to shutdown the Vega then remove the drive. For me this is a pain as I use a USB Modem and sometimes need to swap USB drives.

So I have disabled the auto mounting of USB devices on my Vega so I can manually mount and unmount USB drives and specify the filesystem type at the same time.

thedicemaster wrote some nice scripts that automate the process here: http://android.modaco.com/content/forum/32...unting-scripts/

HTH

Guest trevor432990

As Android apps/tools are mostly designed for phones rather than tablets the amount of information they display like file sizes, permissions, etc is limited so if you are using the USB drive I'd suggest you will get more comprehensive information about it from your PC/Laptop file explorer software. On the Android I use Astro File Manager (Free) + SMB module (for Wi-fi) transfer currently but I see ES File Explorer is popular and easy to use as well.

There is no safe eject command on Android so it is recommended you put the Vega into 'standby' mode before taking the drive out.

Guest peter a

I`ve installed a terminal and tried your df, which isn`t as friendly as a linux command, No human switch ?.

So I have disabled the auto mounting of USB devices on my Vega ?

No , Where do I do that ?

I know my way around debian Linux having a sheevaplug headless server, But I`m a little confused with Android right now, triying to know how it works. ( BADLY )

Thanks for the scripts link and will have a go with that.

So I know what my first apps going to be , displaying the usb mass storage space.

Guest simonta
There is no safe eject command on Android so it is recommended you put the Vega into 'standby' mode before taking the drive out.

'scuse me Wing Commander.

Settings->SD Card and device storage->Unmount SD Card

Guest CrArC

Won't that just eject the SD card, not the USB stick?

In my experience with USB sticks on Vega, I find yanking it out when:

- A file is in use on it (ie loaded in Quickoffice, or an image viewer)

- A directory is open (ie being browsed in Astro file manager)

Will cause a soft reboot. Bad.

However! I have had no problems hot swapping the USB stick when nothing is using it.

After finishing whatever I'm doing, this is usually as simple to achieve as closing the files, and navigating to a 'safe' folder like the SD card root before yanking the stick. Much quicker than a reboot.

It's not *safe*, sure. But it doesn't cause any horrible things to happen to the tablet, and is quicker than standby/reboot.

Guest peter a

I know how to unmount a sd card, but like the subject , it's about unmounting a usb pen drive.

I`ve installed a terminal and tried your df, which isn`t as friendly as a linux command, No human switch ?.

No , Where do I do that ?

I know my way around debian Linux having a sheevaplug headless server, But I`m a little confused with Android right now, triying to know how it works. ( BADLY )

Thanks for the scripts link and will have a go with that.

So I know what my first apps going to be , displaying the usb mass storage space.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams "Android is not quite entirely unlike Linux" so many command line tools are cut down versions.

To disable the auto mounting of the USB port I edited vold.fstab Not for the faint hearted. The demon that performs the automount is called vold and vold.fstab is where is gets its instructions from, the lines I commented were:

-------------- 8< snip ----------------------

#dev_mount usb0 /mnt/usb/system_usb auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.0/usb

#dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

-------------- 8< snip ----------------------

I used adb from my Ubuntu machine to remount the system in rw mode then pushed the changed file back. "ADB" is a tool found in the Droid SDK which you will be installing if you are writing apps <grin>!

The net effect is my USB drives are mounted when I tell them to and I can unmount them as required.

I have posted a very early alpha of a tool I am writing here: http://code.google.com/p/ptbw-codespace/do...nager_alpha.apk

The tool allows the user to create pre-set mount instructions in the same manner as a similar app for mounting SMB shares called cifsmanager. What files systems are actually supported depends on the installed kernel, the Buzing Bee kernel includes NTFS and EXT4.

Even if you don't disable the auto mounter the tool should still be useful for mounting additional partitions and non-FAT file systems.

HTH

post-798666-1301465199_thumb.png

Guest peter a
To paraphrase Douglas Adams

I thought you was going to say “Don`t panic”

To disable the auto mounting of the USB port I edited vold.fstab

I found my easy way , ssh via WinSCP on windows and edit /system/etc/vold.fstab.

( SSHDroid on Android )

"ADB" is a tool found in the Droid SDK which you will be installing if you are writing apps <grin>!

Yes and also the way I pushed the custom ROM.

I`ve already installed the sdk , but not got around to installing the other parts needed, like eclipse .

Had a little play with appinvertor , but I think that could be a little too basic for me and what I wish to do .

And thanks for the app

I thought you was going to say “Don`t panic”

I found my easy way , ssh via WinSCP on windows and edit /system/etc/vold.fstab.

( SSHDroid on Android )

Yes and also the way I pushed the custom ROM.

I`ve already installed the sdk , but not got around to installing the other parts needed, like eclipse .

Had a little play with appinvertor , but I think that could be a little too basic for me and what I wish to do .

And thanks for the app

Ha!

You are well on your way then...

The app is very alpha but I hope to improve it as its a great learning experience, this is my third "real" app and the first time I have used ListViews, SQL lite and added a button to a preferences page.

The Vega makes a great development target and there are some excellent Android resources out there ( including this forum! ).

Any suggestions welcome.

Guest peter a
Ha!

You are well on your way then...

The app is very alpha but I hope to improve it as its a great learning experience, this is my third "real" app and the first time I have used ListViews, SQL lite and added a button to a preferences page.

The Vega makes a great development target and there are some excellent Android resources out there ( including this forum! ).

Any suggestions welcome.

I`m going a little off topic , so what !!!

What what ide / tools are you using for your apps ?

I`ve not started any android development, because I know it will be a right time pit.

Saving it while I have the time to spare .

I`m going a little off topic , so what !!!

What what ide / tools are you using for your apps ?

I`ve not started any android development, because I know it will be a right time pit.

Saving it while I have the time to spare .

I installed the SDK on to an Ubuntu box with Eclipse, just follow the instructions on the Google site, its quite straight forward. I use Rapid SVN to commit stuff to Google code, the Eclipse plug-in seems less easy to get on with.

The SDK emulator is not too bad, Honeycomb is fairly slow but the other targets are better, however using the Vega beats using the emulator hands down especially with a widget called ADB over Wifi which acts as a wireless end point for ADB. Which means I can target the Vega then swap to my Blade and back without needing to plug either in to a USB cable.

https://market.android.com/details?id=bohlool.net.wifiadb

I have also installed the tool chain to build CyanogenMod and had a play with building an image for the Vega but the Froyo based roms seem to be more stable atm and learning app development I find more interesting.

HTH