Vega Multitouch capability??

Guest somewhatdog

Guest somewhatdog

I'm wondering about the sensor on the Vega and whether it's a single touch, limited 2-touch (ala Desire, Nexus 1) or proper Multitouch unit...

There are apps in the Marketplace which will test this - such as

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.t...ultiTouchTester

and

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.b...re=related_apps

If someone could check and let me know, I'd really apprec. it - thanks!!

Guest trevor432990
I'm wondering about the sensor on the Vega and whether it's a single touch, limited 2-touch (ala Desire, Nexus 1) or proper Multitouch unit...

There are apps in the Marketplace which will test this - such as

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.t...ultiTouchTester

and

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.b...re=related_apps

If someone could check and let me know, I'd really apprec. it - thanks!!

This topic seems to give a run down on the latest position of 'multi-touch' on the Vega but if you want to read more then do a Forum Search for all the posts :D

Guest somewhatdog
This topic seems to give a run down on the latest position of 'multi-touch' on the Vega but if you want to read more then do a Forum Search for all the posts :D

I did try a search but searching for 'touch' on a mobile forum (even narrowed to one device) produces a plethora of results...

Seems it's "limited multitouch" which is a shame but not the end of the world - slightly more of an issue on a tablet than a smartphone tho...

Guest trevor432990
I did try a search but searching for 'touch' on a mobile forum (even narrowed to one device) produces a plethora of results...

Seems it's "limited multitouch" which is a shame but not the end of the world - slightly more of an issue on a tablet than a smartphone tho...

Well people here are working on it so who knows something may be forthcoming in the not too distant future.

Guest CrArC
Well people here are working on it so who knows something may be forthcoming in the not too distant future.

I wasn't aware that the level of multitouch could be down to a matter of firmware - has it been confirmed the hardware is capable of more, then?

Guest carl rose
I wasn't aware that the level of multitouch could be down to a matter of firmware - has it been confirmed the hardware is capable of more, then?

Well, it has been done on the droid so i'm sure it can be done on the vega as well as it is a 2 finguer multi touch not just single touch.

Guest somewhatdog

My understanding is that the Desire/N1 problem is down to hardware - the screen physically only reports 2 values and it can 'mix them up' in a way Android isn't geared-up to deal with (the cross-axes problem).

From reading other posts/comments/reviews of the Vega there's mention of different issues entirely (the moving fingers apart causes the touches to 'snap together' problem) so it may be that the firmware just isn't talking to the sensor/screen properly - and that could well be soluble.

VERY few Android devices do proper multitouch (3+ fingers) - to the extent it's not really worth someone creating software which relies upon it - and that isn't going to change for a year-or-2 at least.

Guest McSpoon
VERY few Android devices do proper multitouch (3+ fingers) - to the extent it's not really worth someone creating software which relies upon it - and that isn't going to change for a year-or-2 at least.

Maybe, but Gingerbread introduced a new flag called 'multitouch.jazzhand' for identifying devices which can track five or more points independently.

Both the Nexus S and XOOM support it - they can track 5 or more fingers. Admittedly it's over-the-top but perhaps Google are hoping to set a trend for all new devices to follow.