Is standby working the way it should on the vega ?.

Guest peter a

Guest peter a

Is standby working the way it should on the vega ?.

I have a HTC Wildfire , I know not the best phone in the world , but it was my first step into smart phones and android.

When I put my phone into standby I`m putting it into a low power state, while the phone and all it`s hardware is still running, but a reduced state.

This mean to me if I set a alarm it works in standby and still get my e-mail , but at a reduced rate.

One good thing I can say about the Ipad / Ipod , working from having a Ipad touch, I can put it on standby for weeks without a charge and have the alarm clock working and still get e-mails.

The vega uses the standby as a stop the cpu and hold onto the memory like sleep state in Windows 7.

I`ve tried the backlight off utility , but with the amount of power the vega uses it would only just make it through the night on a full charged battery.

all alarms just get missing in standby state !!!!

Nice if it had a wake up on alarm etc .

Guest CrArC

Thanks for the info - I'd wondered this myself, so I hadn't relied on it for alarms so far. It was clear from the beginning it wasn't polling for emails or anything as well.

What's also surprising is that despite its sleep state, it seems to use a noticeable amount of battery too. The screen, Wifi, Bluetooth etc are all off, but it could gobble over ten percent overnight. My Dell Streak on the other hand, will use barely anything, and that's with the wifi and 3G enabled.

Maybe mine's configured wrong, I don't know. I'm not on the stock ROM (Modaco r8 instead) so something could be wonky. In fact, in general the battery life seems to wane faster than I'd like.

Edited by CrArC

Guest Lennyuk

Sleep as in press the power button to turn of the screen does not stop the CPU. Yes due to the way the kernel governor works it should slow the CPU down, but it doesn't stop it altogetherm your alarm should still work and wifi will work (if set to never sleep). Your apps will still try to sync but the lack of wifi will mean they cannot update while asleep.

If you use the "suspend" function this is completely different, and shuts most things down completely.

Guest CrArC

Interesting. That makes more sense.

Come to think of it though, a lot about the Vega's power management seems off. Just wondering, but does your Vega always display its battery voltage as 8.139mV, and the battery forever at 31 degrees C? Every battery monitor app/widget I've tried reads back these values, without fail.

Guest Lennyuk

Come to think of it though, a lot about the Vega's power management seems off. Just wondering, but does your Vega always display its battery voltage as 8.139mV, and the battery forever at 31 degrees C? Every battery monitor app/widget I've tried reads back these values, without fail.

my battery temp changes.....

Guest peter a
Sleep as in press the power button to turn of the screen does not stop the CPU. Yes due to the way the kernel governor works it should slow the CPU down, but it doesn't stop it altogetherm your alarm should still work and wifi will work (if set to never sleep). Your apps will still try to sync but the lack of wifi will mean they cannot update while asleep.

If you use the "suspend" function this is completely different, and shuts most things down completely.

o.k , I start by saying what I`ve got, just in case that make a difference .

I`m on the default MoDaCo Custom ROM on top of the stock 1.9 .

A few self mods, like removing phone etc .

( that was due to hi battery drain on standby )

I call standby = The home screen and a quick press of the power button , the backlight goes out and need a quick press to start it up , and get a lock screen.

In the state above the battery drops 10-15% per night and it`s dead to the world.

Edited by peter a

Guest peter a

wow you are right !!!!! I have the same 31 degrees C , 8.139mv .

Sound like a problem to me , I may have to do a little rom testing to say if that changes on other roms.

Guest Lennyuk
o.k , I start by saying what I`ve got, just in case that make a difference .

I`m on the default MoDaCo Custom ROM on top of the stock 1.9 .

A few self mods, like removing phone etc .

( that was due to hi battery drain on standby )

I call standby = The home screen and a quick press of the power button , the backlight goes out and need a quick press to start it up , and get a lock screen.

In the state above the battery drops 10-15% and it`s dead to the world.

Which modaco custom rom?

MCR8 is a full rom and will overwrite completely any base rom, so if you flash MCR8 on top of stock 1.9 you no longer have stock 1.9...

I am also on MCR8 and my sleep mode functions exactly like every android phone I have ever owned.

Guest peter a
Which modaco custom rom?

MCR8 is a full rom and will overwrite completely any base rom, so if you flash MCR8 on top of stock 1.9 you no longer have stock 1.9...

I am also on MCR8 and my sleep mode functions exactly like every android phone I have ever owned.

O.k , Stock 1.9 from myvega and r8 on top.

I`ve tried reinstalling from stock again and end up with the same problem .

And sounds like I`m not the only one.

So CrArc , can you please try setting on alarm , and set if you get the alarm on standby .

( standby being , a quick press of the power )

Guest SilentMobius

In case you haven't found it this has bee discussed a few times in various threads.

Power-collapse and all forms of CPU sleep are horribly broken in the current Harmony Tegra2 kernel. This has been fixed in the kernel that Ventana boards ship with (Xoom et al) I believe there is currently work afoot to backport the patches to the Harmony kernel but I can't help but wonder if the problem is endemic to the Harmony board.

Guest peter a

doing a clockmod reovery v2.5.1.8 , backup now

back to stock and see if the alarms work .

if they do I can work out where it goes bad for me.

on clockmod , should I use the wipe cache partition or wipe data/factory reset ?

Edited by Paul

Guest peter a
Have you guys tried installing this battery saving tool yet? Seems to work on mine nicely but never did any comparison tests TBH :D

OR just remove TelephonyProvider.apk and phone.apk before you push it .

back too , the push the power button for 6 second , release and hold your nose for 2 second , now the back button.

try to get into recovely mode .

Edited by peter a

Guest peter a
OR just remove TelephonyProvider.apk and phone.apk before you push it .

back too , the push the power button for 6 second , release and hold your nose for 2 second , now the back button.

try to get into recovely mode .

The alarm don`t work on a stock 1.9 from get go !!!!!

I`m I you only one with this ?.

Guest CrArC
The alarm don`t work on a stock 1.9 from get go !!!!!

I`m I you only one with this ?.

Alarm did not activate for me - just tried it. Set one two minutes ahead, send the Vega to sleep, five minutes later no alarm.

So if the Vega is not sleeping the CPU but is in fact still active, why do things like alarms not function? Also, surely things like streaming radio/music players would keep functioning when you press the power button, like they do on the Android phones? Instead, if I have TuneIn Radio or the music app playing something and the devices decides to snooze, the music is unceremoniously cut off. :D

Gonna try scrubbing those phone files and see if it stops gobbling juice in the inane hibernation it likes so much. :D

Guest Lennyuk
Alarm did not activate for me - just tried it. Set one two minutes ahead, send the Vega to sleep, five minutes later no alarm.

So if the Vega is not sleeping the CPU but is in fact still active, why do things like alarms not function? Also, surely things like streaming radio/music players would keep functioning when you press the power button, like they do on the Android phones? Instead, if I have TuneIn Radio or the music app playing something and the devices decides to snooze, the music is unceremoniously cut off. :D

Gonna try scrubbing those phone files and see if it stops gobbling juice in the inane hibernation it likes so much. :D

I listen to winamp with the screen off on mine all the time, infact I am doing it right this second (to test)..

TuneIn will stop working because the wifi will disconnect

I can't test the alarm right now as the current rom I have (Corvus) has no clock app....

Edited by Lennyuk

Guest peter a

NEW NEWS !!!!!

I went back to 1.9 stock and the alarm still don`t work.

Tried installing Vegan-Tab ( CorvusVegaMod_0.4 ) and the alarns work , but guess what !!!!!

battery 31.0c and battery voltage 8139mv ,

Try again to see if it works , if it does it`s software .

AND if it work thats another week of my life setting it up just how I like it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mikerohan
NEW NEWS !!!!!

I went back to 1.9 stock and the alarm still don`t work.

Tried installing Vegan-Tab ( CorvusVegaMod_0.4 ) and the alarns work , but guess what !!!!!

battery 31.0c and battery voltage 8139mv ,

Try again to see if it works , if it does it`s software .

AND if it work thats another week of my life setting it up just how I like it.

Hi, any news on this???

I'm running Modaco Custom ROM r8 and alarms are not working...

I need a ROM that allows alarms to be played when the Vega is sleeping (short press of the ON/OFF button)

Thanks!!

Guest peter a
Hi, any news on this???

I'm running Modaco Custom ROM r8 and alarms are not working...

I need a ROM that allows alarms to be played when the Vega is sleeping (short press of the ON/OFF button)

Thanks!!

So far no !!!,

tried all the roms and they all have the same problem with me.

The only way is the "keep awake while powered"

so the power management is still not implanted into the kernel yet .

So I know that battery 31.0c and battery voltage 8139mv will remain a problem for me.

Guest mikerohan
So far no !!!,

tried all the roms and they all have the same problem with me.

The only way is the "keep awake while powered"

so the power management is still not implanted into the kernel yet .

So I know that battery 31.0c and battery voltage 8139mv will remain a problem for me.

Thanks... I was hoping that a different ROM would solve the issue...

So, have you give up on the issue of alarms or are you using a workaround of sort or something like that?

Cheers, Mike