Advent Vega now £199

Guest technomonkey

Guest zzleezz
Need some help from advent fans. I`ve been asked to buy the Advent vega by another forummer. I want to use it for accessing medical books and other lit. Is the screen quality good?

The screen gets a bad Rep for poor viewing angles but as long as you look at it pretty much straight on its actually a very good quality display. That's in landscape. In portrait its not so hot. You get the same sort of effect on the screen as a 3d image where each eye sees slightly different things. In this case slightly differently shaded.

I use mine as a book reader for viewing magazine pdf's and for me it is fine. I would in all honesty hesitate to wholeheartedly recommend it for this purpose tho. If all you are really planning to do is use it for complicated book reading (as opposed to plain old textbook reading for which I would say kindle) then I would have to say through gritted teeth iPad.

If you are really after a strong all rounder that can function as a book reader too then its Vega all the way :D

Guest zzleezz
First post. Just ordered one. Been lurking on hete for a couple of weeks. Can't go wrong at that price.

Welcome :D

My wife now getting really fed up of me wandering into a room with my Vega clutched in my hands saying "I love my Vega!"

Guest peter a

My wife now getting really fed up of me wandering into a room with my Vega clutched in my hands saying "I love my Vega!"

Sorry , but the reply I was going to type to that , I had to self police and delete !!!!

Guest cobra111

Divorces have been started for less. I just try and keep my mouth shut, I find it safer.

Guest English Haze

The cynic in me says this is proof that they don't plan to port Honeycomb to the device and they expect it to die a slow painful death so want to dump as much of the stock as possible before it becomes less desirable but if it's only the non-Flash version maybe there is still hope.

Guest Lennyuk
The cynic in me says this is proof that they don't plan to port Honeycomb to the device and they expect it to die a slow painful death so want to dump as much of the stock as possible before it becomes less desirable but if it's only the non-Flash version maybe there is still hope.

it is only the non-flash stock that they cannot be bothered to re-flash

Guest zzleezz

:

The optimist in me doesn't really care too much. Like Lenny I very rarely have a device that has a stock rom anyway. As long as they are selling bucketloads of Vega's its only a good thing for the Vega scene.

Edited by zzleezz

Guest sipart
it is only the non-flash stock that they cannot be bothered to re-flash

The efforts needed for DSG (who are a retailer remember) to remove from shelves, unbox, reflash, rebox, re shelve and then have to sell as re-furb'ed/open box products (at a lower price anyway as they are open box now) is not worth it is it? It's easier to sell the stock 'as is' at a reduced rate and save all the work by them.

They have set them at a reasonable cost, so seem enthusiastic to get rid of them and get back to selling the flash inclusive device at normal price.

Guest zzleezz
The efforts needed for DSG (who are a retailer remember) to remove from shelves, unbox, reflash, rebox, re shelve and then have to sell as re-furb'ed/open box products (at a lower price anyway as they are open box now) is not worth it is it? It's easier to sell the stock 'as is' at a reduced rate and save all the work by them.

They have set them at a reasonable cost, so seem enthusiastic to get rid of them and get back to selling the flash inclusive device at normal price.

Hah! I'll do it for them for £20 a pop!

Guest Snowdan

Have been lurking here for a few weeks after I went to buy a Vega and the ipad just dropped in price making me re-evaluate then tried to build up the courage to buy one from PC World Business after reading it can cause after sale care difficulties.

But a big thanks to the OP's tip I had only been checking Currys website and they haven't dropped the price. Anyway ordered this morning and got a bit nervous at the lack of conformation but just found this in case anyone else is wondering if they have actually got one on order. Dixsons Conformation system problems

For me £200 is the perfect tablet price. :D

Guest ThisisSparta

Just got mine delivered from Currys at 240 :D Rang Currys CS to query and was told, Dixons is nothing to do with the Currys Group !!!!! They cant price match, but happy to pay to collect and give a full refund, I would have been ok with being offered a case or something rather than go through all the trouble of returning, but 40 is a lot.

Stupid CS.

Guest El Nino9
Just got mine delivered from Currys at 240 ;) Rang Currys CS to query and was told, Dixons is nothing to do with the Currys Group !!!!! They cant price match, but happy to pay to collect and give a full refund, I would have been ok with being offered a case or something rather than go through all the trouble of returning, but 40 is a lot.

Stupid CS.

erm CS is lying to you :D

they are all part of the DSG group, even says so on their sites. stand your ground next time round B) but get the refund.

Guest Village Idiot
To those who just bought one a couple of days ago - did you buy it online? If so you can probably still return it with no questions asked and then order it at the new cheaper price.

Did just that. In fact I've not re-ordered yet, just going to have a check around to confirm the Vega is still the one ot buy at the price.

Stupid PC World insisted on refunding, wouldn't just refund the difference, so they are a sale down now.

Edited by Village Idiot

Guest MrSnake
Did just that. In fact I've not re-ordered yet, just going to have a check around to confirm the Vega is still the one ot buy at the price.

Stupid PC World insisted on refunding, wouldn't just refund the difference, so they are a sale down now.

I bought two Vegas last week from Currys. I called into the shop today to see about their price promise and they said it doesn't apply as Dixons is an online shop and they dont have the same costs. The assistant just sort of looked at me when I mentioned that it's the same company and Currys' online shop is the same price as its physical store (but doesnt have the same costs). I'm gonna call customer services and if they won't refund the difference then I'll just return the Vegas for full refunds and either order from Dixons at the cheaper price or see about other tablet options. It's madness of Currys to act in this way as I brought a customer there last week so they got over £1000 from my business last week and I'm set to spend another grand and a half next week on electrical goods so they'd better be nice or my custom will be taken elsewhere

Guest ThisisSparta

its so dumb, I know they are part of the same group I used to work for them many years ago. As I said I wouldnt have minded splitting the diff really to save the hassle, I will return to store n get a refund n then buy from Dixons.

I was told in store it wasnt very good and to get an ipad 2, yeah right, over double the price. i would be scared to leave the house with that much cash at stake. the vega was at my limit as it was, cant understand why sales staff make such stupid statements.

Guest tabor56

I think the problem is it's the non flash version and the guy in currys told me they have never had stock of the non flash version in store

Guest Mickgoodie1

Hum thats not far from the truth which we all hope its not! If paul can work his magic on HC, then there is always a chance.

Those who have purchased at 200 quid, welcome to the vega forum!!!!

Guest geoyakult
Hum thats not far from the truth which we all hope its not! If paul can work his magic on HC, then there is always a chance.

Just purchased for £199 from Dixons Online ... will get mine on Friday! so you'll see me around here more often now.

I get the impression Paul likes to keep up with the latest and greatest (who can blame him?), and I think by the time AOSP gets HC he will playing around with whatever native HC tablets are out by then. Although he might be tempted by the technical challenge of shoehorning HC onto the Vega if someone else hasn't done it by then... :D

Guest tabor56

this was on XDA

HomerSP of VillainRom is getting his vega the end of next week, he is somewhat a dev genius when it comes to getting rom items to work that others have failed to do.

He will be working on getting a HC rom to work at some point soon this may have elements based on the SDK and Rom dumps, but we will have to wait and see once he gets his vega.