Vega Dock - [FOR INFO]

Guest ViPaSoft

Guest ViPaSoft

Hi,

I've done a search and couldn't find any mention of this, so thought I'd post here for others.

I received my Dock today and unpacked it, fitted the charger, [that comes with the Vega as the Dock doesn't include one], and attached my VEGA to it. Wow, little lights here and there, [like something off Star Trek - shuttle docking lights, etc], to assist the proper lining up of the Dock. When docked, the charge light came on and started flashing. Great, I thought, it seems to be working.

WELL;

Once I plugged in the ear phones and tested the sound, nothing came through. Sound still coming from Vega speakers. I thought I'd try the USB's so I pluged in a USB stick. It lit up, but the iFilemanager app didn't recognise it, or ESFile Explorer or any other file browser. What the FFFF I though. Same for the HDMi.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, [well shorter...], I had the VEGA in HOST mode as I'd been trying it with a keyboard and a mouse. Once I switched it to SLAVE mode, the headphones, USB's and HDMi all worked fine.

Only disapointment, unless I've missed something, is that you can't connect a Dock USB port to a PC for file transfers. You still seem to have to use the side USB. You can also only connect 1 USB stick at a time. If you connect more than one, it only seems to recognise the first one, unless I had a faulty stick.

I haven't tried a mouse & keyboard through it yet, either singularly or together as I have a laptop and the keyboard I mentioned earlier was at a friends.

Anyway, I've only had it about an hour so if I find anything else out, I'll post updates.

FYI: I'm using Modaco r8 ROM.

Edited by ViPaSoft

Guest hazor

How about Touch-panel during docking (with charging)?

is there any problem, as if charging to the body of vega?

when you remove the USB stick, is there any problem?

in sometimes, removing stick from usb port of vega made vega to reboot.

plz reply...

Guest carl rose

plz reply...

I would like to know this as well.

Guest ViPaSoft

plz reply...

Just tested for you...

Re: Touch Panel;

No noticeable problem, but then my Vega was bought new only a couple of weeks ago, [mid May 2011]. I haven't noticed any problems with power plugged in before Dock.

Re: USB removal;

When I plug in a USB stick, no problems. When I view a file from the USB stick with iFilemanager, [for example], and while the file is open unplug the USB stick, the Vega reboots with a darkened screen and I have to re-adjust the brightness, [luckily I have a widget for that].

If I exit the iFilemanager, [other file managers exist {as the BBC says}], and unplug the USB stick, the Vega does not reboot.

It must be a problem with the loss of an open file, or a program attached to a stick that is no longer available.

Guest Panayioti
Just tested for you...

Re: Touch Panel;

No noticeable problem, but then my Vega was bought new only a couple of weeks ago, [mid May 2011]. I haven't noticed any problems with power plugged in before Dock.

Re: USB removal;

When I plug in a USB stick, no problems. When I view a file from the USB stick with iFilemanager, [for example], and while the file is open unplug the USB stick, the Vega reboots with a darkened screen and I have to re-adjust the brightness, [luckily I have a widget for that].

If I exit the iFilemanager, [other file managers exist {as the BBC says}], and unplug the USB stick, the Vega does not reboot.

It must be a problem with the loss of an open file, or a program attached to a stick that is no longer available.

I have the same problem when I take out the usb from the Vega. But not a big deal.

Guest ViPaSoft
Have you tried using the USB's on the dock, just wondering if the onboard usb's are turned off when docked.

It seems that, whilst docked, the on-board USB has to be in SLAVE mode. And while docked, I can still connect through it to my PC and copy files.

Unless I'm missing something, the Dock USB's are only HOST as I can't use them to connect to my PC. If anyone has managed this, please let us know how...

It seems that, whilst docked, the on-board USB has to be in SLAVE mode. And while docked, I can still connect through it to my PC and copy files.

Unless I'm missing something, the Dock USB's are only HOST as I can't use them to connect to my PC. If anyone has managed this, please let us know how...

If you are able, could you please plug 2 or 3 USB drives in to the dock and open a terminal app. Then type

ls /dev/block/sd*
This will show how many of the devices have been recognized by the underlying OS. You hopefully will see something like:
/dev/block/sda

/dev/block/sda1

/dev/block/sdb

/dev/block/sdb1

/dev/block/...

The sda refers to the first device and sda1 refers to the first partition on the first device and so on for the second and third etc

If you see at least one per USB stick then you should be able to mount them manually and have them visible to Android. You could use thediceman's scripts or my usbmanager to then mount hard drives etc.

It would be very helpful if you could try this.

Thanks

Guest ViPaSoft
If you are able, could you please plug 2 or 3 USB drives in to the dock and open a terminal app. Then type

ls /dev/block/sd*
This will show how many of the devices have been recognized by the underlying OS. You hopefully will see something like:
/dev/block/sda

/dev/block/sda1

/dev/block/sdb

/dev/block/sdb1

/dev/block/...

The sda refers to the first device and sda1 refers to the first partition on the first device and so on for the second and third etc

If you see at least one per USB stick then you should be able to mount them manually and have them visible to Android. You could use thediceman's scripts or my usbmanager to then mount hard drives etc.

It would be very helpful if you could try this.

Thanks

Exactly as you say;

/dev/block/sda

/dev/block/sda1

/dev/block/sdb

/dev/block/sdb1

Does this mean only one USB at a time, or can things be altered.

By the way, I have no idea what I'm doing with Linux/Unix/whatever..ix.... :D

Exactly as you say;

/dev/block/sda

/dev/block/sda1

/dev/block/sdb

/dev/block/sdb1

Does this mean only one USB at a time, or can things be altered.

By the way, I have no idea what I'm doing with Linux/Unix/whatever..ix.... :D

From the output you had two USB devices installed Android demon called vold would mount the first I assume under /mnt/usb/docking_usb so you can see it in a file manager etc. The second sdb will not be mounted but assuming its FAT( windows ) file system.

Go back into the terminal and type:

mkdir /sdcard/usbmount

mount -t vfat /dev/block/sdb1 /sdcard/usbmount
This will "mount" the drive on the directory on the SD Card you should then be able to open ES File Explorer and "browse" to the directory and see the contents. To unmount the drive go back to the terminal and type
umount /sdcard/usbmount

As long as nothing is using the drive it should unmount otherwise you may need to ensure that the Gallery or Music player or what ever you may have used to open files on the drive is closed down. Then try to unmount it again. Finally if it still will not unmount power off the Vega and remove the stick.

I am in the process of writing an APP to at least simplify this but its a bit raw at the moment. Someone with a bit more knowledge of vold may be able to add drives automagically but I prefer to know whats going on.

You can find the app here, http://code.google.com/p/ptbw-codespace/wiki/USBManager. It only supports mounting on the SD card atm but you should be able to define an entry for sdb partition 1 and mount and unmount it manually, just like above ( which is actually all the app does ).

Edit: Note drives are allocated on a first come first served so sda will always be the first drive plugged in and sdb the second etc not because of a specific port or type of drive.

HTH

Edited by ptbw

Guest ViPaSoft

Thanks ptbw,

I only really need to mount one device anyway as the dock has 3 USB and I hope to use a Keyboard in one and a mouse in another, leaving just one for USB-sticks/etc.

Also I have virtually no knowledge of Linux and don't want to start typing code, especially if I have to remember to type some other code to end later, [i sometime have trouble remembering my eh,.....my eh,......oh yeh, my name].

I would just like to know if its possible to use a DOCK USB to attach to a PC.

Thanks again.

Thanks ptbw,

I only really need to mount one device anyway as the dock has 3 USB and I hope to use a Keyboard in one and a mouse in another, leaving just one for USB-sticks/etc.

Also I have virtually no knowledge of Linux and don't want to start typing code, especially if I have to remember to type some other code to end later, [i sometime have trouble remembering my eh,.....my eh,......oh yeh, my name].

I would just like to know if its possible to use a DOCK USB to attach to a PC.

Thanks again.

No problem, I don't see why you can't use a USB drive, key board and mouse at the same time. However you would need to use some additional utility if the drive had a non-fat file system or more than one partition.

Its only multiple drives/partitions that will not get seen by a standard Vega, other devices should be fine ( as long as the support is in the kernel ).

I don't have a dock but after your experiments ( thank you ) I may get one and add to my application as I can see people needing to mount say a USB hard disk ( with multiple partitions ) via the dock as well as an occasional USB key to copy files to/from etc especially the docked Vega is being used as a media computer or second machine.

Edit: To answer your question, there is some magic in the kernel to switch between host and slave so I suspect that the same magic would have to be applied to the docked usb and that would most likely switch all 3 ports to Slave!

Thanks again for trying stuff.

Edited by ptbw

Guest ViPaSoft

Thats ok ptbw.

i've had enough help from yourself and others, so only too pleased to be able to offer something back occasionally.

The daft thing is, I only bought it because I had some money left in my PayPal account and didn't know what to spend it on, so bought this instead of frittering it away on nothing. I don't even use USB sticks that often as I tend to like the LAN use of ESFileExplorer to copy files to and from my Laptop. I don't even connect it too often to my Laptop via the USB cable.

The only thing I think I need is a Mifi type device. I used to have an Archos 70IT and used Wireless tether to connect to the internet via the 3G on my T-Mobile Pulse, but that doesn't seem to be a simple option on the VEGA.

Anyway, keep messing, thats my moto....

Take care all.

Guest lesinlondon

I received my dock today, now I see they have been removed from sale. If a newly designed dock appears (with adjustable mount angle and no blue light) for sale within the next month I will give my one week old Vega, Case and dock to my nephew. Tough luck on me, I guess for possibly buying probably the last in stock - OR - If it's a supply problem, sorry Vega :D

Anyway, What are the dock usb ports for if they don't work? I'm none too bright but here's my story - bought Vega, flashed with rom downloaded from Kitchen all ok. Plugged in usb stick, rebooted so as to use it and thought I'd bricked it.....you know the story. Thanks to this forum I got it up and running again - flashed with vega stock then one from this forum - great! Thought I'd wait for the dock to arrive, it has three usb's so one must work (I only need one), but nope. Honest, I have read all there is about usb/host/slave on these pages, but am still a bit baffled. I bought the Vega for use out and about, and wanted use of the usb slot (SD slot would have been better for downloading my photographs, but I can get around that with a SD to usb converter, if one exists - I took a chance on that). Have I bought something that is no use for my needs? and will I have to continue using my Samsung NC10 notebook? Thanks.

Guest ViPaSoft
I received my dock today, now I see they have been removed from sale. If a newly designed dock appears (with adjustable mount angle and no blue light) for sale within the next month I will give my one week old Vega, Case and dock to my nephew. Tough luck on me, I guess for possibly buying probably the last in stock - OR - If it's a supply problem, sorry Vega :D

Anyway, What are the dock usb ports for if they don't work? I'm none too bright but here's my story - bought Vega, flashed with rom downloaded from Kitchen all ok. Plugged in usb stick, rebooted so as to use it and thought I'd bricked it.....you know the story. Thanks to this forum I got it up and running again - flashed with vega stock then one from this forum - great! Thought I'd wait for the dock to arrive, it has three usb's so one must work (I only need one), but nope. Honest, I have read all there is about usb/host/slave on these pages, but am still a bit baffled. I bought the Vega for use out and about, and wanted use of the usb slot (SD slot would have been better for downloading my photographs, but I can get around that with a SD to usb converter, if one exists - I took a chance on that). Have I bought something that is no use for my needs? and will I have to continue using my Samsung NC10 notebook? Thanks.

I'm sorry, I've read your post and I don't know what your asking. As I say, it's probably me and it's been a long day, (tired eyes and al that).

For my benefit, can you post again, in simpler terms and shorter sentances.

Thanks.

Guest lesinlondon
I'm sorry, I've read your post and I don't know what your asking. As I say, it's probably me and it's been a long day, (tired eyes and al that).

For my benefit, can you post again, in simpler terms and shorter sentances.

Thanks.

Ok. 1. Has anyone heard rumour that there is to be a new, better dock released? 2. Can I plug in and read data on my SanDisk Cruzer usb stick without having to connect to Vega to pc.? If the answer to 2 is yes, how. Sorry, I am not that bright, and it's been a long day for me too. Thanks.

Guest ezynow

I have the dock - only used once mind you. I remember it acted funny untill i put the vega in debug mode.

But had mouse / keyboard / usb stick working no probs. Remember to check ifilemanager under mnt/usb or something like that.

Planning on using as a digital photoframe / internet radio also plan on getting a usb light and when i get bored enough write an app to switch on alarm / internet radio + lamp. Too lazy to be a geek, hopefully sum1 will do this :D

Ok. 1. Has anyone heard rumour that there is to be a new, better dock released? 2. Can I plug in and read data on my SanDisk Cruzer usb stick without having to connect to Vega to pc.? If the answer to 2 is yes, how. Sorry, I am not that bright, and it's been a long day for me too. Thanks.

1. No. They've just run out of stock which is why it is not currently available to buy.

2. In the application draw press the usb mode icon and select usb host mode.