Farewell Advent Vega?

Guest JingleManSweep

Guest Lennyuk

I stayed away from the Galaxy tab for a number of reasons.

- Small screen...pointless

- Terrible reviews, generally (both from the press, and people I know who own one)

- Did not sell well at all (probably partly due to its high price...)

- Its even less likely to get Honeycomb than the Vega

Guest JingleManSweep
I stayed away from the Galaxy tab for a number of reasons.

I happen to agree. I am happy with my Vega especially after playing with the GTab in my local Carphone Warehouse, I found it quite clunky and slow (but I suppose that was the Stock ROM and not one of Paul's optimised versions).

I just posted the article for reference (and quoted the articles headline). I have no intention of ditching my Vega. I just hope Honeycomb comes our way soon!

Guest ViPaSoft

Also, it's only the Wifi Version. No 3G etc. Ok has 1Gb Ram and 16Gb Internal Storage, but as you say, only 7" screen.

I'll stick with my Vega.

Ive also read that the Vega Tegra 2 T20 processor is better than the Galaxy TABs Arm Cortex A8.

Guest mintvilla
Also, it's only the Wifi Version. No 3G etc. Ok has 1Gb Ram and 16Gb Internal Storage, but as you say, only 7" screen.

I'll stick with my Vega.

Ive also read that the Vega Tegra 2 T20 processor is better than the Galaxy TABs Arm Cortex A8.

the tegra 2 is alot better than the hummingbird, for starters the hummingbird is a single core processor and the tegra is dual core.

wifi only at asda

When I checked asda's website the blurb most definitely said it was 3G enabled and seeing as it has now gone from their website they were probably selling off their unsold stock.

Anyway, the real bargain was when hmv were selling off their instore stock for £250 back in February... unfortunately my local hmv didn't have any :D

Guest zzleezz

Always a good litmus test is how busy are the forums for a given device on modaco. The galaxy tab seems pretty quiet to me. I would consider it a downgrade.

Guest bazanime

If it was a 10 inch screen at that price, then yes maybe. I already have a large screen phone. The Vega just needs optimised software which is what the modaco rom is doing very well until official updates.

Edited by bazanime

Guest cobra111

I had a Dell streak before the vega and had a look at the archos 70 before I bought the vega, the screen did not make enough difference from the five inch one of the streak, it still felt like a phone screen.

I think it would make a good halfway house but after you have tried something 10" who would go back to something smaller (START THE SNIGGERING NOW.) :D

Guest peter a
I had a Dell streak before the vega and had a look at the archos 70 before I bought the vega, the screen did not make enough difference from the five inch one of the streak, it still felt like a phone screen.

I think it would make a good halfway house but after you have tried something 10" who would go back to something smaller (START THE SNIGGERING NOW.) :D

Get a 24 inch monitor and a 17 inch monitor looks like a phone screen.

it`s all scale !!!!!

Guest CrArC
Get a 24 inch monitor and a 17 inch monitor looks like a phone screen.

it`s all scale !!!!!

Totally agree! My Dell Streak feels like an iPod nano after time on the Vega.

The 7" tabs are also only 800x400ish res. I got the Vega specifically to get away from that not-small-yet-not-big-enough resolution.

Guest thedicemaster

a huge understatement.

tegra 2 runs a dual-core cortex A9, so not only is it a (slightly) faster core it also has 2 of them.

Guest beegee1962

Got a Viewsonic ViewPad 10s (aka Advent Vega) for 3200 HK$ in Honkong last week. And it has 3G! So the 300Pounds for a smaller slower tablet is not catching my attention.

Edited by beegee1962

Guest steviesteve

If you go to an o2 store, they will match Asda on the price at 299 but you get the 3g version, it is locked to o2 but unlocking is so easy a cow could do it. The screen is superb, it has 1024 x 600 and is miles better than the vega.

I own both the Vega & Tab. The Tab travels with me through the day, I switch to the Vega when I get home. In reality, the Tab is just as responsive despite the slower architecture and there is greater app compatibility than the Vega. I have several apps/games which just do not run on the Vega but work just fine on the Tab.

Good luck.

currys also are stocking the 3g tab for 299 so shouldnt have any problems getting one if you do but im happy with my vega.

Is that instore? They only have the wifi version for that price online.

Guest Kevrae

Sorry guys my bad I got some scetchy information from one of my work colleagues (I'm off on holiday) and got the wrong end of the stick. So yeah its wifi only.