Non standard audio socket ?

Guest Argonaut

Guest Argonaut

I thought it might be good to start using my SGS for playing MP3 files on train journeys - avoid need to take MP3 player.

Problem is .. I only get audio in Left side of headset.

There is nothing wrong with headset (BOSE QC3 noise cancelling unit) which works 100% fine on my MP3 player and for example airline seats, but when I plug it into SGS only get left hand headset sound.

Display on screen says 5:1 and I'm using the standard built in MP3 tracks to test (so nothing wrong with file for example)

The standard headphone plug is a 3.5mm stereo jack (Tip & Ring ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector )

The earpiece supplied with SGS has an extra ring ... i.e 3 rings rather than 2 ... which I assume is to connect in microphone. I have tried audio via that and it is in stereo .. so it appears no fault on SGS ... but also appears it is not industry standard presentation for stereo audio.

So how do I use standard 3.5mm stereo headphones with the SGS ... is there an adapter ?

• 3 months later...
Guest ScientyReal
I thought it might be good to start using my SGS for playing MP3 files on train journeys - avoid need to take MP3 player.

Problem is .. I only get audio in Left side of headset.

There is nothing wrong with headset (BOSE QC3 noise cancelling unit) which works 100% fine on my MP3 player and for example airline seats, but when I plug it into SGS only get left hand headset sound.

Display on screen says 5:1 and I'm using the standard built in MP3 tracks to test (so nothing wrong with file for example)

The standard headphone plug is a 3.5mm stereo jack (Tip & Ring ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector )

The earpiece supplied with SGS has an extra ring ... i.e 3 rings rather than 2 ... which I assume is to connect in microphone. I have tried audio via that and it is in stereo .. so it appears no fault on SGS ... but also appears it is not industry standard presentation for stereo audio.

So how do I use standard 3.5mm stereo headphones with the SGS ... is there an adapter ?

I'm replying even if this thread is a few months old.I assume you are using SGS i9000. Have you tried any other normal headphones on your phone? For me it works fine. If you know soldering, I'll try to help you in making an adapter :) .