[ROM] CyanogenMod 7

Guest AntonioPT

Guest pedrojaime

Has anyone played with 'Zeam Launcher'? Its small, lightweight and pretty decent. Does anyone know if its less resource hungry than Launcher pro? See it here: http://www.appbrain.com/app/zeam-launcher/org.zeam. Its free and only a 420kb download. I am considering it instead of both ADW and Launcher Pro at the moment.

@totiadrenalin: So if I flash without launcher pro.apk and /data/app directory it should complete flashing just fine? Many thanks for the link :)

Peter

Guest Casterina
angry birds fcs after iv done all this, is it something to do with the GLS problem i seen someone mention????

I think its not something to do with GLS.. It could be with the ROM itself, remember this is a alphaa version of 2.3 :)

Guest peelie

tried toti's instructions but market app still not appearing :)

when i initially sigin in to google account and it gives me option to install google apps, the market force closes meh back to cm6

edit/

i am on UK 2.1 rom so must be a system size issue

Edited by peelie

Guest will8578

keep at it Peelie, i tried at least ten times, now by using toti's instructions iv finally got it on there with proper market, happy days

Guest James Kei
There was so many people asking me to give them a CM7 ROM that I decided to make a thread.

First things first, this is an UNOFFICIAL ROM. That means you can't post issues on the CyanogenMod bug tracker, basically you can't call this a true CyanogenMod ROM because it's not official. Of course you can still post issues and bugs here, on this thread.

Secondly, I'd like to thank, obviously, Tom G, because without him we wouldn't have all the wonderful CM ROMs we have today. I am just using his device config to compile CM7, he did the bulk of the work. Thank you in the name of the entire community!

Now let's get to the good stuff.

Download links:

• ROM (2011-04-02): http://www.mediafire.com/?dn68kww3f7dxayx
    • If you were using the previous (2011-03-25) version, it is highly recommended to install this one. Wipe is recommended.

• Gapps (2011-04-03-pulse): http://www.mediafire.com/?80g9sz726jxa48r
      • This new version of Gapps fixes the Market FC'ing on app install.
      • This may cause problems if you were using the Chinese input support zip. Until I upload a fixed Chinese zip, either reinstall ROM + Gapps + DT A2SD without Chinese zip or free enough space in /system so that all of that can coexist.

• DT A2SD: (2.7.5.2-1-pulse): http://www.mediafire.com/?lp91d11r1hv077z
      • Chinese input support (CallaIME and Touchpal dictionary): http://www.mediafire.com/?dvsjvsedhgma1uh
        • Thanks twrock and TaiwanCHT8k :)

• Touchpal language (APKs): http://www.mediafire.com/?t2crtueay7d9cue

2011-04-03: Fixed Market FC'ing on app install (needs to be on /system).

2011-04-02: Fixed Gapps/A2SD not working because of lack of space on /system.

Replaced ADW.Launcher with LauncherPro.

Added Chinese font support and Chinese input flashable zip.

Added Touchpal keyboard.

Added new OpenGL ES lib.

Moved GPS NTP server to Europe (faster GPS fix).

Changed boot animation to Android Scribble.

Tweaked build.prop settings.

Optimized updater-script, removed unnecessary files and scripts.

See
          for the full changelog.

How do I install this ROM?

• Download the ROM, Gapps and DT A2SD.
          • Transfer them to your phone's SD card.
          • Using ClockworkMod recovery:

• Make a nandroid backup.
            • Wipe data / factory reset.
            • Flash the zips (ROM, then DT A2SD - DON'T INSTALL GAPPS FOR NOW!).

• If you want Chinese input support (CallaIME and Touchpal dictionary), also download and flash the chinese zip.

[*]Reboot.

[*]If anything goes wrong, restore the nandroid backup you made.

What do I do after installing it?

[*]Some users have problems with Market and A2SD, please check the instructions anarkill provided here: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1658314

[*]Using CyanogenMod Settings:

[*]Enable OC and enable the "Set on boot" option.

[*]Don't enable compcache (it's off by default, just making sure).

[*]Reboot.

[*]Disabling the window animations/transitions will also make the phone go faster.

[*]Using DT A2SD to store apps and dalvik cache on SD Card will also come with a big performance boost.

[*]Enable swap.

[*]If you want additional touchpal languages (English is included by default), install the APKs.

Don't forget to give some feedback (bugs, opinions, suggestions, issues...). Enjoy :)

I have a 1.5 version of U8220, flash UK ROM 2.1, then rooted, install clockworkmod recovery, able to boot into recovery.

wide both data/factor and cache partition.

then Flash the zips cm7-pulse-20110402-signed.zip, then reboot.

U8220 started, run smoothly and clean, able to run terminal to do "df", seems /system partition only few mb remind. Use file manager browse /sdcard/apk

try install apps from SD CARD, then phone rebooted, each time half through installation then reboot, never able to install apps successfully.

I tried again , start terminal, su #, then cp /sdcard/apk/"apps" to /data/apps, then reboot again.

Got some of apps works by doing manual copy file, but most of apps still not run.

what is wrong with my flash steps ?

By the way, bluetooth pairing with other android connected, but not able to transfer(accept) files from other device, as old UK 2.1 ROM works.

thanks

James

Edited by James Kei

Guest Casterina
tried toti's instructions but market app still not appearing :)

when i initially sigin in to google account and it gives me option to install google apps, the market force closes meh back to cm6

edit/

i am on UK 2.1 rom so must be a system size issue

You go on cancel when you get the market installer message otherwise you get FC's like you did...

Fixed Gapps/A2SD not working because of lack of space on /system.

---------------------------

Can you give me this patch? I complied CM6 myself also have this issue. Thank you!

Guest pedrojaime

@totiadrenalin: fantastic, its all working with cache+apps on SD, I can't thank you enough!! :)

@James: See page 15 of this thread. Basically you need to open, say in winrar the rom, delete /data/apps. this will delete whole /data directory but don't worry, just recreate empty /data directory (still in winrar). Now download the launcher totiadrenalin gave us (page 15 again I think) and add it to /system/apps folder. Now close the rom zip file you opened with winrar > recovery mode > wipe (factory reset+cache) > flash this modified rom > wipe (factory reset+cache) > continue with totiadrenalin's instructions

*IMPORTANT: bear in mind that you need to type su before doing 'a2sd reinstall' from the term emulator. Also, my phone did not recognise 'reboot' command at the end so I manually rebooted.

That should get it working for you.

It's amazing what you can do when the apps+ cache are properly on the SD card. My remaining issues (which you may already be aware of):

-skype not working: app opens but auth failure logging in

-camera/video not working: white screen

-angry birds stops unexpectedly on startup (maybe I'm asking too much of this phone..)

EDIT: I just tried putting zeam launcher.apk in /system/app instead and it boots asking for default launcher. Select zeam and your there. I personally think its faster than Launcher Pro but do not have benchmarkrs to proove my theory! All I can say is Launcher Pro kept hanging last night setting wallpaper. Installed Zeam and (same config+ wallpaper image) and it seemed to handle it fine. Apps drawer appear faster too.

great work guys!! Gingerbread is beautiful and CAN be fast enough with your help!

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest will8578

ahhh another angry birds fan lol, iv got solitaire on there so prob angry birds is too greedy and takes up all the power, i must hav visited here a million times since iv seen what tom said, and even more now iv managed to get antonios working, very nice, KUTGW

Guest totiadrenalin

I mean, come on guys!

This is only a alpha release.

You shouldn't expect everything to work perfectly.

Tom G, and AntonioTP said that we will get official CyanogenMod 7 rom in week or so!

So why don't we simply wait until than?

Antonio release this rom only for testing purposes.

:)

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest Boony123

well for all that still want to play but had installing issues, I have the old pulse (with the new uk update with a smaller partion, saving people to go back to the old 2.1 to install these new roms), there is a link to this rom but i moved some apps to data and deleted the bootanimation for plentany of space,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HEHKCAKV (NOT signed)

1. install all the zips from rom, then apps then a2sd.

2. boot ups make sure ur a2sd is working (should be) then change settings like it says in the first topic post.

3. enjoy :)

Edited by Boony123

Guest Casterina
I mean, come on guys!

This is only a alpha release.

You shouldn't expect everything to work perfectly.

Tom G, and AntonioTP said that we will get official CyanogenMod 7 rom in week or so!

So why don't we simply wait until than?

Antonio release this rom only for testing purposes.

Hi, Toti.. i was wondering if you could help me please.. Basically, i followed your instructions, but when i download the gapps after going through the steps of the terminal emulator (a2sd reinstall, a2sd cachesd, a2sd swappy30) None of the google apps show up on my app drawer.. but, the recovery say's its installed them successfully :/

Guest totiadrenalin
well for all that still want to play but had installing issues, I have the old pulse (with the new uk update with a smaller partion, saving people to go back to the old 2.1 to install these new roms), there is a link to this rom but i moved some apps to data and deleted the bootanimation for plentany of space,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HEHKCAKV (NOT signed)

1. install all the zips from rom, then apps then a2sd.

2. boot ups make sure ur a2sd is working (should be) then change settings like it says in the first topic post.

3. enjoy :)

The bootanimation can be called up from /data/local/

So you can perform adb push after installation, or put it in /data/local in the rom zip

or use the RootExplorer app?!?!

Also all of the media can be called up from /data/local/audio

So you can save even more space in /system by simply moving the bootanimation and audio to /data/local

But there's some problem in the updater-script in Antonio's rom.

Instead of chown root the data/app have chown system privileges.

That's why after flashing the rom you need to perform wipe from the recovery before first boot.

That's the reason why the phone reboots when you try to install some app.

But still this is a alpha release. And everything is acceptable.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest totiadrenalin
Hi, Toti.. i was wondering if you could help me please.. Basically, i followed your instructions, but when i download the gapps after going through the steps of the terminal emulator (a2sd reinstall, a2sd cachesd, a2sd swappy30) None of the google apps show up on my app drawer.. but, the recovery say's its installed them successfully :/

All the visible google apps will be downloaded from the market when you start it for first time.

Open the gapps zip and you will see it for your self.

Guest pedrojaime

My problem is that ever since buying my first Andriod 3 weeks ago I have become addicted..

Now I have been through the learning curve and experimentation I am happy with the fruits of my persistence and going to sleep properly again until the official release!

What I am dying to know is (and this will save a lot of pain later), what is the best way to do a complete backup? Nandroid has worked before for me but is there a way to take a complete image of rom+apps+settings+data to restore easily should something fail? Does Clockwork make a complete image of everything or is it better to use titanium backup/Tibu??

thanks for being patient with me,

Peter

Guest will8578

totiadrenalin i guess your not a angry birds fan :) dont worry i only found out last week how to upgrade roms, so im chuffed to bits with the work that everyone does, actually iv gave up football manager and completely hooked on all this, and thanks to your settings i finallly got cm7 on my pulse, cheers big lad :) lol

+1 at what pedrojamie says

Edited by will8578

Guest Casterina
All the visible google apps will be downloaded from the market when you start it for first time.

Open the gapps zip and you will see it for your self.

But, Market app isn't visible on my phone :/

Guest will8578

i cant remember but has anyone said anything about a2sd not working? only reason i ask, is that i moved angry birds onto phone from sd and it worked, does that help anyone?

Guest totiadrenalin
I have a 1.5 version of U8220, flash UK ROM 2.1, then rooted, install clockworkmod recovery, able to boot into recovery.

......tried again , start terminal, su #, then cp /sdcard/apk/"apps" to /data/apps, then reboot again.

Got some of apps works by doing manual copy file, but most of apps still not run.

what is wrong with my flash steps ?......

thanks

James

The problem is that some apps contains there own native library files.

And if you only copy/paste them into /data/app or /system/app when you reboot the phone there's /lib files won't be copied into /data/data/com.(gioogle/android).application/lib/

And that's why they don't work.

But if you regular install them, they will work, because of that the installer will copy those lib files.

Edited by totiadrenalin