[ROM] CyanogenMod 7

Guest AntonioPT

Guest pedrojaime

Thank you Totiadrenalin for looking into the skype issue. I wait patiently, at the moment I don't want to risk breaking a nice, stable fast phone. I really appreciate all the effort you guys are making with CyanogenMod7 :)

I have no regrets buying this phone, the build quality is excellent and the signal is better than Blackberry or Nokia. I was with 2 other people with these phones last night and I was the only one who could get a decent signal and dial out.. They look at Huawei differently now!

Talking about signal, has anyone noticed an RF antenna port just next to the speaker, on the corner below of the battery? Has anyone successfully connected an antenna there to improve the signal reception?

Peter

P.S> curiosity never killed a cat

Guest totiadrenalin
Thank you Totiadrenalin for looking into the skype issue. I wait patiently, at the moment I don't want to risk breaking a nice, stable fast phone. I really appreciate all the effort you guys are making with CyanogenMod7 :)

I have no regrets buying this phone, the build quality is excellent and the signal is better than Blackberry or Nokia. I was with 2 other people with these phones last night and I was the only one who could get a decent signal and dial out.. They look at Huawei differently now!

Talking about signal, has anyone noticed an RF antenna port just next to the speaker, on the corner below of the battery? Has anyone successfully connected an antenna there to improve the signal reception?

Peter

P.S> curiosity never killed a cat

I'm afraid that the skype problem only Antonio or Tom could fix.

There's some problem with libc.so And some profile groups.

And once again when I try to connect with Skype I see the CopyBit (Operation not Permited) problem.

I attach logcat info from my phone.

Logcat.txt

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest pedrojaime

Thanks a lot all the same for taking the time. Do you have the link for the bugs page to check/report on issues please?

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest Casterina
The answer is yes!

You are right!

But The buffer of the data partition is 128 KB, translated to I/O performance = Not Good!

Why?

Well, with the disk benchmark app I test the speed of the NandFlash internal memory.

And with 4Kb buffer I get 0.28 (MB/s) write, and 2.33 (MB/s) speed.

When I perform the test with 1024 KB = 1MB buffer, I get 2.36 (MB/s) write, and 64.52(MB/s) read speed.

Just to compare it with class4 sdcard:

With 1024 KB buffer I get 6.03 (MB/s) write, and 61.17 (MB/s) read speed.

Just imagine what will be the numbers when I use my class6 sdcard.

Well?!

With 1024 KB Buffer I get 8.4 (MB/s) write, and 97.16 (MB/s)

But the bad thing is that you can control only the buffer size of the FAT partition, and the internal NandFlash memory.

(/dev/block/mmcblk0p1)

And the default value of the buffer of all partitions (external and internal) is 128KB.

And just to compare the speed of our RAM memory.

With buffer only 4KB, I get 149 (MB/s) write, and amazing 254 (MB/s) read speed.

And why bigger buffer size is boosting the speed performances of the I/O filesystem?

Because the buffer is using the ram memory.

When you write something on the Internal or external memory, first the data is stored in the buffer, and then from the buffer onto the internal/external memory, same thing with reading data from the internal or external memory.

If the pulse had bigger ram. 512MB for example.

The best option would be to put some script in init.rc to create a tmpfs (temporarily file system) partition - (which is using the ram as storage).

About 100 MB or, even less (still 412MB of ram memory will left, or more).

And each reboot the script to create and mount that partition, and make a directory named dalvik-cache and sim-link it to /data/dalvik-cache .

But our Pulse have only 107MB of ram. And this will left like a unrealized dream!

:)

You can decide now what option would be better for you!

To keep the dalvik-cache into the internal nandFlash memory or to link it on the ext partition of the SDCARD?!!

I downloaded a clockwork script to increase the speed of my sdcard.. its currently running at 2048kb. Would this help the performance of the dalvik cache to increase?

Thank you for the information btw :)

Guest sun lbx

today i tested the speed of the internal storage

i would say it can compete only with class2 sdcard, being a little bit slower.

so i think that moving the Dalvik cache to a fast card will result in system perfonance boost.

Guest Casterina
today i tested the speed of the internal storage

i would say it can compete only with class2 sdcard, being a little bit slower.

so i think that moving the Dalvik cache to a fast card will result in system perfonance boost.

Ahh cool :) I saw a similar question about the dalvik cache being placed on the sdcard, and just got me wondering haha :)

Guest totiadrenalin
Ahh cool :) I saw a similar question about the dalvik cache being placed on the sdcard, and just got me wondering haha :P

Installing the cm7 rom from scratch is pretty long, but interesting, nice, and very well done interpretation done by google.

I like so much, the way it restore all your previews installed apps, and OS configuration.

This one of the best touches done by Google in Android 2.3.3 aka Gingerbread.

I just can't wait the official rom.

Antonio, did you find why does it bootloop?

I could help you if you want to of course!

Guest rulerofkaos
I found a way to make this phone running much smoother.

First you need to create a swapfile on the sdcard

Use swapper2 for example

Then a2sd noswap

next thing

two simple scripts need to be created and placed in /system/etc/init.d/

1st.

#!/system/bin/sh

if [ -e /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb ]

then

/system/xbin/echo "2048" > /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb;

fi;
And save it as 77sdcardspeedfix 2nd.
#!/system/bin/sh

echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness;

mkswap /sdcard/swapfile.swp;

swapon /sdcard/swapfile.swp;

and save it as 98swap

to do this you will need RootExplorer or create the scripts on your computer and then adb push them to /system/etc/init.d/

Don't use windows notepad or wordpad to write the scripts.

Use some linux text writter or maybe you can use the visual C++ for example.

The 1.st script will boost the w/r speed of the sdcard, by taking the buffer to higher level. - only the FAT partition!!!

In this case 2048KB / 2MB

And the second script will mount the swapfile on boot.

Don't try to edit some other device - (partition) you will brick your phone.

I'm serious.

Higher buffers the higher amount of ram it'll consume will be.

The best value of the swap file will be somewhere between 32-64MB

and the swappiness 15-45

but the best swappy is 30

Cheers

EDIT 1:

Sorry guys.

I didn't read the post from Antonio about the official cm7 rom and the bootloop problem.

So I've just deleted that part of my post.

EDIT 2:

The value of the buffer size can be set from 128 KB to 4096. Any higher buffer level will decrease the performances.

But I would suggest you to set value 2048 or 3072 (KB)

The problem with to big buffer will be the ram memory lack.

How can I check if swap works?

Guest Casterina
How can I check if swap works?

The way i like to do it is.. go to terminal emulator and type in "free" without the speech marks.. dont type in su.

If there are figures beside SWAP telling you how much you have in total and how much you have used.. then it is enabled.

Guest rulerofkaos
The way i like to do it is.. go to terminal emulator and type in "free" without the speech marks.. dont type in su.

If there are figures beside SWAP telling you how much you have in total and how much you have used.. then it is enabled.

Ok I did this and I got just zeros. Toti's script seems not to work in CM6.

Guest Casterina
Ok I did this and I got just zeros. Toti's script seems not to work in CM6.

I kinda suck at working adb LOL otherwise i would have helped you out with the script and stuff, im using the CM6 as well :)

Guest Casterina

Can someone help me please... I need the market app.. i follow anarkill + totis theory on how to install the apps successfully.. but im having no lucky :'( I tried placing the vending.apk from the cm7 gapps and installing it via file manager and its still force closing :)

Guest totiadrenalin
Can someone help me please... I need the market app.. i follow anarkill + totis theory on how to install the apps successfully.. but im having no lucky :'( I tried placing the vending.apk from the cm7 gapps and installing it via file manager and its still force closing :)

OK!

First!

Open the ROM zip with winrar for example!

And move the LauncherPlus.apk from /data/app/ to /system/app/

Second after installing the CM7 rom you MUST peform a FULL WIPE.

After that install dta2sd.

Reboot

After the phone buut up.

The first thing you HAVE TO DO is to INSTALL SOME APP FROM THE FILE MANAGER STORRED ON YOUR SDCARD.

After you do that.

Then open the terminal emulator.

Type:

su

confirm the popup window.

then type:

a2sd reset.

type reboot.

After the phone reboot open the terminal emulator and type:

a2sd cachesd

reboot.

After the reboot in terminal emulator type:

a2sd swappy30

And then reboot in recovery

install gapps

Reboot.

After the phone boot up!

Through the Sett Up Wizard:

You have to add your Gmail account informations.

And then when the phone ask you for first time to install the GAPPS CANCEL it.

After that!

You will be able to see the MARKET app in the DRAW!

Launch the Market

After you accept the terms.

then the popup window will ask you once again to install the GAPPS

ACCEPT then and select which apps you want to install.

And that's it!

Nothing else.

AND DON'T FORGET TO PERFORM A FULL WIPE RIGHT AFTER YOU INSTALL THE CM7 ROM ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest Casterina

When i got to bit with the set up wizard... it didnt appear on my screen.. it was the lockscreen, i unlocked the phone and it was the homescreen "/

Edit: I followed your instructions twice, but still having the same problem.

Thank you for helping me out btw ^__^

Edited by Casterina

Guest rangeoshun
When i got to bit with the set up wizard... it didnt appear on my screen.. it was the lockscreen, i unlocked the phone and it was the homescreen "/

Edit: I followed your instructions twice, but still having the same problem.

Thank you for helping me out btw ^__^

Try not to cancel installing offerd gapps, but SELECT NONE and proceed. All of them you can download later. I did that and it worked. BTW: do you have the latest gapps pack from the 1st page?

Then open the terminal emulator.

Type:

su

confirm the popup window.

then type:

a2sd reset.

type reboot.

After the phone reboot open the terminal emulator and type:

a2sd cachesd

reboot.

After the reboot in terminal emulator type:

a2sd swappy30

And then reboot in recovery

install gapps

Reboot.

I did this without rebooting between steps, and worked that way too. If it doesn't work, try it with reboot.

Guest ZTE_Blade

hey antonio great work i installed this on my phone and every time i use it for more then half an hour the phone loops to the boot animation what shoud i do and when will cm7 be completed :)

Guest AntonioPT

I'm building CM7 final again to see if I can get it to boot this time.

I'll upload it in a few minutes, but beware, it won't include (yet) all the tweaks I did on top of vanilla CM7 (LauncherPro, Touchpal, all the other stuff).

U8220 users probably won't be able to flash Gapps or DT A2SD because /system will most likely be over 100MB or very close to that. Lucky U8230 users :)

BTW, remember CM6? I was browsing my git repos and I figured out why nothing worked on my CM6 final builds! If anyone still has interest in one last final CM6 ROM, I'd be more than happy to post it!

Guest rulerofkaos

I'll upload it in a few minutes, but beware, it won't include (yet) all the tweaks I did on top of vanilla CM7 (LauncherPro, Touchpal, all the other stuff).

U8220 users probably won't be able to flash Gapps or DT A2SD because /system will most likely be over 100MB or very close to that. Lucky U8230 users :)

BTW, remember CM6? I was browsing my git repos and I figured out why nothing worked on my CM6 final builds! If anyone still has interest in one last final CM6 ROM, I'd be more than happy to post it!

Please post the CM6, I think many people will use it until CM7 is ready.

Guest j1exus

Nice! I'm waiting for it and I'll try not to fall asleep(it's almost 23 o'clock in my country)

Guest ZTE_Blade

hey again plz could you post a link for cm7 final

Guest AntonioPT
Nice! I'm waiting for it and I'll try not to fall asleep(it's almost 23 o'clock in my country)

You can go to sleep because Mediafire is acting up and I can't upload any file... :)