[ROM] CyanogenMod 7

Guest AntonioPT

Guest pedrojaime

@Casterina: I was able to freeze the messaging app and I have Handcent SMS installed and running no problem by the way. Also, DSPManager screws up the sound of my music files when played through line out so have decided to disable it too.. I have Advanced Task Killer showing 35M available memory and everything runs fast.

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest sporting_exodus
Well, I can tell you I have the alarm clock frozen and I am using an alt alarm clock program, not sure if this is the case that you can do this with the messaging app too. I just tried freezing the inbuilt messaging app and rebooted without issue but of course, no SMS now without this process (as is to be expected). Do you know of a good light alternative to the messaging app (and file manager)? What process do you see using up the CPU? I cannot see it either in advanced task manager or running 'top' from the terminal.

Talking more about the freezing, I have done a lot of experimentation lately on which services are safe to freeze (disable) from the Android OS. I now have the speed and responsiveness on a Huawei u8220 that others get with a Nexus 1 with twice the processing power..

I find that setting Advanced task manager to kill processes agressively when too much memory is used hels too but by far the best performance increase can from disabling the following processes with Titanium backup:

-andriod keyboard

-bluetooth share

-certificate installer

-[ALARMS] clock (does not kill my clock in the status bar)

-Cyanogenmod notifications

-Cyanogenmod wallpapers (does not prevent CM wallpaper from being displayed once set)

-dev tools

-download manager (may be needed for browser/market, not tested yet)

-downloads (may be needed for browser/market, not tested yet)

-DRM protected storage

-facebook

-FOTA kill

-Gallery

-Google backup transport (may need for google to backup your phone)

-Latin input method tutorial

-Live Wallpaper

-Market (may be needed for browser/market, not tested yet)

-Market feedback agent (not needed for market to work, though I guess you cannot rate software without it, not tested)

-Market Updater (what is this for? updates market app??)

-My uploads

-Network location (GPS?)

-Package access helper (for installing apps?)

-Package Installer (i guess will not be able to restore apps without it)

*confirmed you need both to restore and install apps. If you have all the apps you need already then freeze them

**Rom Manager: I believe you can freeze and still access it via recovery mode, though not gui if frozen

-Setup wizard

-SIM toolkit (contrary to popular belief, freezing will not kill dialer, incoming/outgoing calls or voicemail)

-Sound recorder

-Spare parts

-talk

-themes chooser

-themes provider

-user dictionary

-voice dialler

*I have also uninstalled these apps: 'Music' and I installed alt app, HTML viewer, Camera (not working in CM7 and not interested), TTS service, Home screen tips, com.android.provision, com.android.quicksearchbox, VPN services, CMstats (sorry guys), News and weather (does not work ni Ecuador), google One time init, Google partner setup (do not use adsense, etc..), PICO TTS, Market Apps Installer

Please note that although my phone boots fine and fast ni this state, doing this may well prevent your phone from booting. For this reason I cannot empasize enough the importance of running a Clockwork backup and safer to disable 1 by 1. When rebooting, if the phone gets stuck (for over 1 minute) on the black screen with white letters 'A N D R O I D' and does not go past this point to display the boot animation, there is no need to worry if you have your clockwork backup. Just take the battery out, boot into recovery, do a 'wipe cache' only and reboot. Then boot up and it should boot up fine. If same thing again, may need to pull battery out again and try a third time. If at the third time its not coming up, then you will need to boot into recovery, factory reset, wip cache, go to advanced, wipe dalvik cache, wipe batter stats, reboot recovery and then do a restore of your clockwork backup. Again, you may have to go into recovery and wipe cache and pull the battery a couple of times but the results are worth the pain IMO.

At the end of this you should have a nice, fast phone, very responsive, without lags, hope it helps.. :mellow:

Great idea! I think this would be worth starting a new thread - it could benefit all ROM users equally. We could also all feed back and work out a definitive list of items that can be frozen safely.

There seems to be a few of these 'freeze' apps available now. I think you need the PRO version of Titanium bakup - which is a bit expensive? On the other hand it looks like Bloat Freezer would do it, or even Paul's own Easy Freezy? Has anyone tried these?

Guest Casterina
Great idea! I think this would be worth starting a new thread - it could benefit all ROM users equally. We could also all feed back and work out a definitive list of items that can be frozen safely.

There seems to be a few of these 'freeze' apps available now. I think you need the PRO version of Titanium bakup - which is a bit expensive? On the other hand it looks like Bloat Freezer would do it, or even Paul's own Easy Freezy? Has anyone tried these?

Easy freezy force closes.

Guest Casterina
@Casterina: I was able to freeze the messaging app and I have Handcent SMS installed and running no problem by the way. Also, DSPManager screws up the sound of my music files when played through line out so have decided to disable it too.. I have Advanced Task Killer showing 35M available memory and everything runs fast.

Hmm, people have said you need to have it to recieve all the messages and you need the stock messaging running.. have you seen a increase in battery life? I'll check it out in a bit :unsure:

Guest Casterina

I upgraded to 2.3 yesterday :unsure: yayy go me!! because i missed the features so muchh :)

Anyways, i encountered upon some things which decreases the battery drain much quicker than it should, hope this post helps anyways... lets get rollin' ^__^

You need SetCPU + AntTek app manager

1.Enter setcpu, and set the min to 245 and max to 691,710,729,741. After you have done this, make sure that scaling is set on (ondemand) make sure that you "set on boot" option is ticked (beware, if you set it to a higher a frequency which your phone can't handle, then it will constantly reboot and you'll unable to change the settings back to 691 meaning you need to install the ROM from scratch, trust me i been there "/).

2. Setting the ondemand "will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed." - this is important. Anyways, go on "profiles" and go on "add profile", after you will have a screen saying new profile.. click on charging and change it to screen off. Set max to 245 and min to 122 and set the scaling to "ondemand" and priority 100. Your probably wondering why i havent set to powersave, this is because when you unlock the screen for your phone, you will find that your phone will freeze to meet what you have set your actual cpu (245 - 691). Ondemand will change it straight away without experiencing any slowness. Make sure before you exit out of setCPU, that you have checked "enable" on the profiles section.

3. I downloaded advanced task killer and saw some apps which i dont use which tend to appear on the task killer even when i don't use them -___- surprisingly they were all internet related apps, well most of them. Anyways, Download AntTek app manager from the market, open it and allow access to it. Press apps, and wait for all your apps to load. Once they have loaded, click on the "News and Weather" app and click on freeze (this means that you still have it on the system but will not open until you "defrost" if needed), press "Calender Storage" (I found out that this must be the battery drainer on 2.3 because it will not kill itself on the task killer) and press freeze. If you still have the default adw launcher which came with the 2.3 ROM, you need freeze this as well, along with market app installer and search.

4. If you feel that there should the other things which should be frozen, go ahead but, be careful because applications like the stock messaging app need processes to receive the messages. But, someone told me that they had frozen the messaging app and they used handcent and they were able to receive all their apps. hmmm, strange.. but, hope this post helped you on getting greater battery life.. if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask ^__^

Guest pedrojaime

Hmmm, not sure, hopefully will not have any nasty surprises of SMS's not being received/sent, that remains to be seen. I discovered my power widget was hanging/working intermittently yesterday and after trial and error the settings depend on 'Android keyboard' and 'Cyanogen Wallpapers' being active. Once I activated these the widget works again.

Hey nice one Casterina, welcome to Gingerbread :) I have set my Min CPU to 122MHz and Max to 729MHz. I find its always good to test the max cpu frequency without the 'set on boot' tickbox enabled, that way, if its unstable and pushes the limits too much it will be reset to the default value on boot and you won't get booting loops..

Yes, I have been guilty of dumping all my thoughts into this thread. Will create another one for the freezing idea unles someone has created one already :unsure:

Peter

Guest Casterina
Hmmm, not sure, hopefully will not have any nasty surprises of SMS's not being received/sent, that remains to be seen. I discovered my power widget was hanging/working intermittently yesterday and after trial and error the settings depend on 'Android keyboard' and 'Cyanogen Wallpapers' being active. Once I activated these the widget works again.

Hey nice one Casterina, welcome to Gingerbread :P I have set my Min CPU to 122MHz and Max to 729MHz. I find its always good to test the max cpu frequency without the 'set on boot' tickbox enabled, that way, if its unstable and pushes the limits too much it will be reset to the default value on boot and you won't get booting loops..

Yes, I have been guilty of dumping all my thoughts into this thread. Will create another one for the freezing idea unles someone has created one already :unsure:

Peter

Haha thankss ^__^ I was on cm7 before, but because of the battery drainage i went back to cm6. Then tried changing settings it was better interms of battery and stuff... I got 89% battery from hardcore messaging :) Yayy ;) yeahhh, i wish i didnt set it on boot :/ it took me like half an hour just to download all my apps back etc :o But, hope the mini guide i did helps you guys.

Guest D-D-

I'm not sure IF I read it right up there, but u installed SetCPU on a CM7, while having the same things in the CM settings?

Other thing... I think it's dumb to set the CPU on the lowest value as min, and the highest value as max. The difference between those is too much. It's the same like this example: u r sleeping, u get up and go and work, and in the break of 5 minuties u go to sleep again and u r expected to get up in a blink and start working again... No can do!

And somebody reported having the SMS problem. I've never had it (on any official or custom rom), but didn't see if he used the swap partition and cache2sd. If those are on and he is still missing SMS, then it's operator problem.

Guest Casterina
I'm not sure IF I read it right up there, but u installed SetCPU on a CM7, while having the same things in the CM settings?

Other thing... I think it's dumb to set the CPU on the lowest value as min, and the highest value as max. The difference between those is too much. It's the same like this example: u r sleeping, u get up and go and work, and in the break of 5 minuties u go to sleep again and u r expected to get up in a blink and start working again... No can do!

And somebody reported having the SMS problem. I've never had it (on any official or custom rom), but didn't see if he used the swap partition and cache2sd. If those are on and he is still missing SMS, then it's operator problem.

But you can't set profiles on cyanogenmod7, its up to you whether you want fast battery drainage or want your phone too last as long as possible.

Guest Casterina
a question as to recover the infor mation of a game

after upgrade

The way i do it is, download mybackup root on the market.. and go on application & media and then go on the game you want... and press the apk + data option.

Guest ramirogam
The way i do it is, download mybackup root on the market.. and go on application & media and then go on the game you want... and press the apk + data option.

and update the phone but the camera does not work

Help

Guest James Kei
I upgraded to 2.3 yesterday :unsure: yayy go me!! because i missed the features so muchh :)

This is very helpful, otherwise, I end up change back to CM6.

but still I find it a bit slower.

Hopefully, more improvement will come with new release kernel source of 2.6.32. froyo

Edited by James Kei

Guest James Kei

Hopefully, more improvement will come with new release kernel source of 2.6.32. froyo

Guest Casterina

Yeahh.. you could always increase the min cpu...

Guest pedrojaime

I never realised that having a min CPU frequency set very low was a bad thing but I can see you're logic (CPU ramping up and down constantly could mean less performance), not sure if I agree with it though. Like Casterina says, I guess it depends on if you prefer performance or longer battery. Personally, I don't want my phone running full pelt burning the battery down when its sitting in my pocket doing nothing.

@James Kei: I am looking forward to the future when Android implements >=2.6.38 kernel (who knows when this will be..) - its definitely made my Linux box at home a lot more responsive: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...video&num=1 :unsure:

Does anyone know of a good speed dial app for android? The only way I have worked out how to do this is adding a 'direct dial' shortcut icon to the desktop. The only other functionality I miss from my old phone which I haven't worked out how to do on Android is having increasing volume as the ringtone is playing - sometimes I would prefer the ringtone not to play full blast when I am at work!

thanks,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest Casterina
I never realised that having a min CPU frequency set very low was a bad thing but I can see you're logic (CPU ramping up and down constantly could mean less performance), not sure if I agree with it though. Like Casterina says, I guess it depends on if you prefer performance or longer battery. Personally, I don't want my phone running full pelt burning the battery down when its sitting in my pocket doing nothing.

@James Kei: I am looking forward to the future when Android implements >=2.6.38 kernel (who knows when this will be..) - its definitely made my Linux box at home a lot more responsive: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...video&num=1 :unsure:

Does anyone know of a good speed dial app for android? The only way I have worked out how to do this is adding a 'direct dial' shortcut icon to the desktop. The only other functionality I miss from my old phone which I haven't worked out how to do on Android is having increasing volume as the ringtone is playing - sometimes I would prefer the ringtone not to play full blast when I am at work!

thanks,

Peter

GO Contact.