[ROM] CyanogenMod 7

Guest AntonioPT

Guest Casterina
Some of you may have noticed the u8220 (pulse) has finally been added to gerrit and I (or anyone else) can now upload changes for it. My recent update which changed a bunch of things appears to have dramatically improved battery life. My pulse has been on battery for 3d 19h and still has 33% battery left. I haven't been using it, but it does have a SIM in it and is signed into google. I don't remember ever getting battery life like that out of it.

The camera is still not working, but some other minor issues have been fixed and I think there has been a good speed improvement (I don't use it much so don't know if it will slow down with a bit of use). Now just to fix the camera, then I can start looking at adding some extra functionality.

I've also noticed that youtube doesn't work. Other video playback is ok, but youtube is broken. Is that a new issue?

Thanks Tom :rolleyes: i think we could get like 2day battery life with normal use if your lucky because you said you got 3days with no use and had 33% left :)

Guest labtec3
Some of you may have noticed the u8220 (pulse) has finally been added to gerrit and I (or anyone else) can now upload changes for it. My recent update which changed a bunch of things appears to have dramatically improved battery life. My pulse has been on battery for 3d 19h and still has 33% battery left. I haven't been using it, but it does have a SIM in it and is signed into google. I don't remember ever getting battery life like that out of it.

The camera is still not working, but some other minor issues have been fixed and I think there has been a good speed improvement (I don't use it much so don't know if it will slow down with a bit of use). Now just to fix the camera, then I can start looking at adding some extra functionality.

I've also noticed that youtube doesn't work. Other video playback is ok, but youtube is broken. Is that a new issue?

Hi, I was wondering if you could kindly tell me where is the link for the rom? Thanks.

Guest Casterina
Hi, I was wondering if you could kindly tell me where is the link for the rom? Thanks.

check out the thread called cyanogen 7.1 RC1 experimental

• 1 month later...
Guest Csabeee

Hi,

I may need some help. I've been using CM 6.1 with no problems (except for the camera, that I wasn't using). Now I have a new phone, so I have decided to upgrade this old phone to CM7.

So I have downloaded the zips (by the way: the gapps isn't there, so I have downloaded different versions of it).

I may have screwed up something with the install, so when the phone starts to boot, it stops at the android text.

The only thing I can reach, is that blue screenm with some info about the different partitions. How can I restore my system from here? I can't do anything at this screen.

Should I use adb? How and what do I need to do?

THANK YOU!

Guest Casterina

Hi,

I may need some help. I've been using CM 6.1 with no problems (except for the camera, that I wasn't using). Now I have a new phone, so I have decided to upgrade this old phone to CM7.

So I have downloaded the zips (by the way: the gapps isn't there, so I have downloaded different versions of it).

I may have screwed up something with the install, so when the phone starts to boot, it stops at the android text.

The only thing I can reach, is that blue screenm with some info about the different partitions. How can I restore my system from here? I can't do anything at this screen.

Should I use adb? How and what do I need to do?

THANK YOU!

I'd recommend that you download the other CM7 which is available.. development for this ROM has stopped.

Guest Csabeee

I'd recommend that you download the other CM7 which is available.. development for this ROM has stopped.

I would download it, but I can't install it, without a recovery console... I can't even restore the phone to my previous CM 6.1. Do you understand my problem now?

Guest Casterina

I would download it, but I can't install it, without a recovery console... I can't even restore the phone to my previous CM 6.1. Do you understand my problem now?

Download ROM manager and install clockwork recovery; download the other ROM :)

Guest Csabeee

Download ROM manager and install clockwork recovery; download the other ROM :)

After your comments I really don't know how to explain what my problem is.

1. I had a CM 6.1 with clockwork recovery + rom manager

2. Downloaded CM 7.0

3. Installed CM 7.0 screwed it up

4. After restart, it STOPS at ANDROID message during bootup!

5. I can't start clockwork recovery (or which key combination should I use? ).

6. What I can do, is hit the power on + volume down + back button, when I find myself at the original recovery console (blue screen)

Guest Csabeee

After your comments I really don't know how to explain what my problem is.

1. I had a CM 6.1 with clockwork recovery + rom manager

2. Downloaded CM 7.0

3. Installed CM 7.0 screwed it up

4. After restart, it STOPS at ANDROID message during bootup!

6. What I can do, is hit the power on + volume down + back button, when I find myself at the original recovery console (blue screen)

Sorry, not the power on + volume down + back button, rather power on + volume down + call button

Guest twrock

<snip>

To boot into Recovery, end_call + menu + power_on.

I believe the "blue screen" you mention is the bootloader. (blue screen with a few lines of white text) That is where you want to be if you need to install Clockwork Recovery by flashing it from your computer over the USB cable.

See the Ultimate Pulse User Guide for more details on how to get this all to work. (link in my signature)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Will there be any stable release for this device????

No.

:lol: Just kidding. I don't know. I hope so. "The waiting is the hardest part."

Incidentally, I'm quite happily running 2.1 at this point, but I certainly would give 2.3 a try if the camera could be made to work.

Guest Freon35

No.

:lol: Just kidding. I don't know. I hope so. "The waiting is the hardest part."

Incidentally, I'm quite happily running 2.1 at this point, but I certainly would give 2.3 a try if the camera could be made to work.

I've instaled Cyanogen 2.3.5 without the camera - but it's laggy! Stock ROM it is then :(

Guest pedrojaime

I've instaled Cyanogen 2.3.5 without the camera - but it's laggy! Stock ROM it is then :(

twrock's 2.1 rom is great (by default without the lag). Nevertheless, the more experimenting, games and flashy eye candy and heavy applications you have running the slower it will get. On the pulse I just install what I know I will use now and then freeze a lot of services and it runs pretty well. I achieved almost the same with Gingerbread once. The latest version I tried wwas 2.3.2 and I understanthings have improved a lot since then but with only 100Mb RAM on the pulse, I am sticking to 2.1. I would go back to Gingerbread if the camera worked though.. Hope it helps you.

twrock's 2.1 rom is great (by default without the lag). Nevertheless, the more experimenting, games and flashy eye candy and heavy applications you have running the slower it will get. On the pulse I just install what I know I will use now and then freeze a lot of services and it runs pretty well. I achieved almost the same with Gingerbread once. The latest version I tried wwas 2.3.2 and I understanthings have improved a lot since then but with only 100Mb RAM on the pulse, I am sticking to 2.1. I would go back to Gingerbread if the camera worked though.. Hope it helps you.

what services can be frozen safely? and what software do you use to freeze it?

cheers

p.s. i am running twrock 2.1 version

Guest pedrojaime

what services can be frozen safely? and what software do you use to freeze it?

cheers

p.s. i am running twrock 2.1 version

I use 'System app freezer and remover' http://www.appbrain.....appteam.freeze but you can also buy Titanium Backup. I like this one because its light and keeps a record of the order that you froze the apps. Note the apps at the bottom of the list are the most recently frozen.

My frozen app list is getting big now but the phone is snappier and does everything i need it to do:

-Android Keyboard

-com.android.providers.userdictionary (believe you need this to use dictionary in either touchpal or android keyboard)

-com.android.providers.applications

-Shapewriter Spanish support (app still works in spanish once installed and frozen!)

-Network Location (nothing to do with GPS, cell location as I understand it. Maybe this helps ensure you get your roaming charges (and roaming for that matter working). I for one want nothing to do with surprise roaming charges if it is that..

-PC Services

-Provisioning Message

-SIM toolkit

-Terminal Emulator

-Voice recorder

-VPN Services

-YouTube

*-Market

*-Market Updater

*-Google Talk Service

*-Package Installer

*-ApkInstaller

*-Checkin Service

*-Google Search

*-Quick Search box

*-DRM Protected Content Storage

*-Drmdialog

*-OMA DOwnload

*-My Uploads

-Touchpal

*-ProjectMenuAct

-Music

*-Browser

*-FactoryProvider

*-SecurityResult

One thing I have learnt the hard way: its very easy to break Market. For this reason, if you are going to freeze it, freeze it first and then all the others marked with an *. If you want to use Market again, defrost all the ones market * first, then finally Market, then reboot. I believe Market depends on a lot of other processes to work correctly. Note the order I have listed the apps is the order they appear in the frozen apps list and it is the order I have frozen then in. I hope this helps people out there, it might certainly explain all those 'my Market is broke' questions on the forum..

This is just what I have worked out through my experimenting.. ;)

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

I use 'System app freezer and remover' http://www.appbrain.....appteam.freeze but you can also buy Titanium Backup.

Easy Freezy by MoDaCo is another option: http://android.modac...-sale-only-99p/

And you can support the guy who is running this website. :)

I've been fairly heavy handed on deleting unused/rarely used apps. I use AppMonster and Titanium Backup to back up apps. Then I just reinstall when needed.

Thanks for that informative list Peter. It's always good to hear details of what others are doing.

Edit: What about Setup Wizard and SetupWizardEx? Are they dead weight after the initial setup?

Edited by twrock

Guest Dante2070

... I use AppMonster and Titanium Backup to back up apps...

Have you ever used Titanium Backup between different roms? Does it work well? I imagine there might be problems like backup on a 2.1 rom and restore an app on a 2.3.

Have you ever used Titanium Backup between different roms? Does it work well? I imagine there might be problems like backup on a 2.1 rom and restore an app on a 2.3.

I haven't done it a lot, but I have done it without problems. I can't think of a reason why it would be a problem.

Guest Freon35

Titanium backup does the job from 1.5 to 2.3.7 (personaly tried ) and back, even from 2 different phones :)

I have a T-mobile Pulse mini (Huawei U8110) and a T-mobile Pulse (Huawei U8220 ).

Guest pedrojaime

Titanium backup does the job from 1.5 to 2.3.7 (personaly tried ) and back, even from 2 different phones :)

I have a T-mobile Pulse mini (Huawei U8110) and a T-mobile Pulse (Huawei U8220 ).

I would say as long as the app is supported across all versions of Android. Some are 2.1 and up, others 2.2 and up, etc.

twrock, I forgot those two setup apps since I uninstalled them already and so they don't show up on my frozen list anymore! I find that HTML Viewwer, Partner Setup can also be uninstalled outright. From what I can work out, gmail *may* use HTML Viewer at times but I have found your Huawei email program to be more reliable at downloading attachments, along with 'Download All' app (this one: http://www.appbrain....bbt.downloadall ). This one allowed me to browse to this site on the phone click a mediafire link and download a rom.zip directly to the phone and then flash it so very useful app!

I used to also uninstall the built in Music app but I lately realised it has a nice feature that allows you to set any of your mp3 files as ringtone so I keep it frozen for when I get tired of my ringtone ;)

hope it helps, will try out easyfreezy!

thanks all!

Edited by pedrojaime

• 1 year later...