Is the Advent Vega (non-flash) hardware different?

Guest ace_dynamo

Guest ace_dynamo

Having seen that Dixons have dropped the non-flash model to £199, and knowing that the first thing i'd do is flash with Modaco etc. I'm seriously tempted to buy.

However just wondered if there were any hardware differences between this earlier model and the new ones that are currently being sold?

Ideally I want a tablet that's compatible with a keyboard and mouse (should I need them) and a usb dvd drive; may work with a 3g dongle (though i usually tether my hd2 to my laptop so not essential); can accept usb flash drives and hdd (which I believe modaco rom enables); plays wma (guessing shouldn't be a problem) and is quick and lightweight.

I'd love to be able to use this to play audio (I teach dance classes) through speakers but I don't know what affect the audio problems other members have noted will have.

Thanks in advance (long time reader, first time poster)

Antony

Guest ViPaSoft

Don't think there's any hardware differences, [but don't quote me on it].

My main concern would be, after reading on here, is that it will probably be older stock. A lot of posters have mentioned about later stock have better, more responsive screens. Earlier stock seemed prone to some strange behaviour regarding using whilst plugged into the power supply.

But as I said earlier, I'm not 100% sure. I only bought mine a couple of weeks ago and paid £250 for it, [the flash version], which I considered a bargain anyway and have had no real issues, and as you say, I flashed a custom ROM, [modaco r8].

Guest ace_dynamo

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did wonder whether the newer models would have slight upgrades...anyone here have experience of that to confirm?

Might wait a couple of days till hc hits the market and see if the price drops for the newer models

Guest warriorscot

The early stock actually had flash. These are actually later models that came after the flash was removed and they only sold them for a little while. The only difference is the firmware that was factory installed was a different flashless version. Installing the R8 or one of the later advent updates will put flash back on it.

Guest ace_dynamo
The early stock actually had flash. These are actually later models that came after the flash was removed and they only sold them for a little while. The only difference is the firmware that was factory installed was a different flashless version. Installing the R8 or one of the later advent updates will put flash back on it.

Oh yes i realise that, i've been keeping an eye on these since Engadget first announced it last year,my question really was whether they had made any incremental improvements to the hardware to fix bugs, but that wouldn't necessarily be publicised?

Guest warriorscot

A few but nothing major as far as I have seen and I went from on of the very earliest models to a new flash free one only recently. It is slightly less prone to screen over-sensitivity issues and the buttons are slightly different in feel(I had to return mines because of broken buttons so a welcome modification) but overall nothing noticeable above and beyond minor manufacturing improvements that the manufacturers probably won't even tell the companies buying them about.

Guest ace_dynamo
A few but nothing major as far as I have seen and I went from on of the very earliest models to a new flash free one only recently. It is slightly less prone to screen over-sensitivity issues and the buttons are slightly different in feel(I had to return mines because of broken buttons so a welcome modification) but overall nothing noticeable above and beyond minor manufacturing improvements that the manufacturers probably won't even tell the companies buying them about.

Hmmm, that's what i wonder about though - whether it's worth ignoring the Dixons one and paying full price to get slight improvements...?

Might even pop into pcw and see if i can wangle a price match on a newer one (some hope!)

Guest warriorscot

I doubt there are any differences between the flash and non-flash versions hardware wise. The one I had was one of the very early ones. And the changes were so minor that other than the buttons it could be accounted to firmware changes. And not all of the screen issues affect everyone anyway it may just I got lucky although my first one didn't have many screen problems like some people even ones with newer batches had worse problems.