Advent Vega vs The World

Guest Soulcalibur76

Guest Soulcalibur76

After installing the latest R8 ROM for the Vega i have noticed some minor "hiccups" of late like for instance the Android Market doesn't load when you click 3x and a particular game called Angry birds (and all its variants) crashes at least everyday i play it it would seem everything is not perfect. not that i'm complaining but i am starting to get uncomfortable.

The next few months are crucial as more 2.2 and 3.0 tablets are going to be released namely the much hyped Motorola Xoom, LG Optimus Pad, Samsung Tab 10.1 & 8.9, Acer Iconia and an unknown/unnamed Toshiba tab to name a few.

My question i put to the one(s) who make the ROM's is...when can we see a truly stable and near-perfect(?) ROM OS before we eventually and hopefully get the all-important 3.0 OS upgrade?

Will we ever get to see an R9 or R10 ROM? Do we just wait for the 3.0? in 6 months the Vega will be overtaken by all of the ones above unless an update is done. that's in my opinion.

Please help and enlighten me......

Thanks.

Guest warriorscot

Haven't had that problem so it sounds like it is a problem unique to you. Try reinstalling the R8.

And we might get an R9+ especially if honeycomb rears its head but the r8 with the MCK doesn't have too much to improve on and others have made some slightly improved versions with more up to date kernels on the forum. As it is the R8 and 2.2 works as well as it is going to and if we get 3.0 that will be great but its not essential for me right now.

Guest dagrim1
After installing the latest R8 ROM for the Vega i have noticed some minor "hiccups" of late like for instance the Android Market doesn't load when you click 3x and a particular game called Angry birds (and all its variants) crashes at least everyday i play it it would seem everything is not perfect. not that i'm complaining but i am starting to get uncomfortable.

The next few months are crucial as more 2.2 and 3.0 tablets are going to be released namely the much hyped Motorola Xoom, LG Optimus Pad, Samsung Tab 10.1 & 8.9, Acer Iconia and an unknown/unnamed Toshiba tab to name a few.

My question i put to the one(s) who make the ROM's is...when can we see a truly stable and near-perfect(?) ROM OS before we eventually and hopefully get the all-important 3.0 OS upgrade?

Will we ever get to see an R9 or R10 ROM? Do we just wait for the 3.0? in 6 months the Vega will be overtaken by all of the ones above unless an update is done. that's in my opinion.

Please help and enlighten me......

Thanks.

Noone knows... We just have to wait and see. We can hope for a HC upgrade, but it has never been promised and no dates have been mentioned. The tablet is already out for a few months, I would be surprised if it isn't overtaken in 6 months but you knew it when you bought it that new tablets would be announced.

The people making the custom roms are also volunteers, they like to play around and produce these things but they do so in their spare time. Perhaps one day they will buy a new device and drop the vega, perhaps their job or personal life will take more time and they'll drop the vega support. It's a bonus to have these guys, not a given...

All in all the vega is a very nice piece of work but at some time it will drop behind (perhaps the 512mb ram isntead of 1024mb, perhaps the so-so 1024x600 instead of 1280x800 screen) and that's the curse of being the early bird with these things.

To be honest, I'm already looking at the asus transformer but who knows... perhaps the vega can lead a long and prosper life :D

Guest Soulcalibur76

I'd really like the Vega. it's not soo bad. and it's very responsive. let down i think from poor/not-so-good support from a UK company such as Advent. why i say poor? no dedicated website/forums/discussion/customer support line aside from PC World; the Advent Vega site has only a support number for their printers. the other support number is THE number for PC World. (Jeez!)

I'd like to try it and give it a chance. i don't want to re-install the R8 ROM unless someone can send me a link of the "stable" version. i'd like to wait for an R9 and perhaps and with a divine intervention the 3.0 OS comes this summer at least then till then i'll keep on hoping until my patience runs out.

I do appreciate what the MODders are and volunteers are doing really.....and i hope they continue to do so.