Spotted on XDA: CM7 with HC Tablet tweaks

Guest Scanno

Guest Mark_L
Hi there,

I do not know if someone mentioned this before, but on XDA there is some new development based on CM7 with UI tweaks (ie soft buttons on status bar). Looks very promising and runs pretty well. It is a work in progress, but have a look:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1012609

Sounds great, grabbing a copy now.

Thank you.

EDIT :- Well it looked good but I cant get it to boot. Did a fresh flash of Advent standard 1.09, then applied the clockwork recovery mod. Next I put the update file on the sdcard and renamed it update.zip. Rebooted to recovery and applied update.zip after clearing the cache's. Now my vega sticks on the Cyanogen7 logo with the arrow going round and round.

Looks like it certainly does still need some work ! :D

Edited by Mark_L

Guest Hasanpb

Thank you.

EDIT :- Well it looked good but I cant get it to boot. Did a fresh flash of Advent standard 1.09, then applied the clockwork recovery mod. Next I put the update file on the sdcard and renamed it update.zip. Rebooted to recovery and applied update.zip after clearing the cache's. Now my vega sticks on the Cyanogen7 logo with the arrow going round and round.

I had the same problem and you have to wipe all data and then install CM7.

Petr

Guest Scanno

Thank you.

I did a full wipe (wipe data/factory reset) in clockwork and then applied the ZIP file (install zip from sdcard). Came from Modaco r8. Worked the first time. Remember it can take a while when you boot the first time.

Edited by Scanno

Guest newbe5
I did a full wipe (wipe data/factory reset) in clockwork and then applied the ZIP file (install zip from sdcard). Came from Modaco r8. Worked the first time. Remember it can take a while when you boot the first time.

Anyone got any screenshots of this thing in action?

Guest beegee1962

I tried it and had same problems on first flash. Then I flashed 1.09 stock, installed CWM, wiped everything that is possible (check under advanced options) and flashed again.

It worked, no screenshots, I have now a ViewPad 10s and the ROM doesn't support the internal 3G card, so I went back to my own ROM.

Guest add.thebad

is a nice rom the soft buttons at the bottom are much more useful!. was on older version updating now and the new version looks much more snazzy i will update once ive had a play!

Guest Mark_L

Righty ho.. got it on by doing a full wipe before applying the .zip.

Thanks for the hint :-)

Only problem I can find is that the wireless does not work.. it looks like its working, but it does not detect any access points.

Guest add.thebad
Only problem I can find is that the wireless does not work.. it looks like its working, but it does not detect any access points.

me 2 but turned on and off a few times now works fine :D

Edited by add.thebad

Guest Mark_L
me 2 but turned on and off a few times now works fine :D

Yup mine ok now too :-)

So how do we get the market and screen alignment tool on here?

Guest achromic

just tried cm7, and thusly i spake:

- looks nice, tried cm on a variety of my droid phones, never could get into it

- doesn't play nice :D my main gripe is the keyboard and the soft buttons, they're trying to make it look like HC

- thank gawd i did a nandroid backup and going back to r8 (many thanks to paul for that)

so, all in all, at the moment it doesn't do anything extra to the vega, but many kudos to madmurdoc on xda for trying

hope thats helped some peeps B)

Guest peter a
Keyboard was buggy as hell and totally ruined things.

Soft touch icons were nice.

The keyboard was the killer for me.

If I went to the market place, then went to the search , the panel would go leaving a blank White screen.

looks nice, but just not ready for my to use as the main rom.

Guest dagrim1
Keyboard was buggy as hell and totally ruined things.

Soft touch icons were nice.

Buggy as in how?

It's working pretty fine here... Soft touch icons on the bottom are nice. They caused some issues (when at the top typing on the keyboard caused notification bar to come down, at the bottom right it caused the notification bar to pop up as well, but moving it to the right and back to the left again solved that.

It sometimes feels a bit more laggy though, also in typing... So not sure yet on keeping it but for now it's ok.

Guest Mark_L

Righty ho... first off a huge hats off the the people that produce the cyanogen mod.

Its a quality piece of work that the world would be worse off without.

With respect to this particular ROM, its deffinately in 'Development' status atm.

1) Install issues -> overcome by doing a full wipe of all user data and reset to factory defaults through clockwork before loading the update through clockwork.

2) Screen alignment -> The screen seems as if it should extend a few MM's off the bottom. Ths interferes slightly with the operation of the bottom row of keys.

3) Market keeps crashing -> I did an install of this mod then I got the latest market apps from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...ion/Google_Apps. The apps installed ok and worked at first but after a few minutes the market stopped working. It would crash whenever I tried to buy anything, but if I booted to clockwork and reset to defaults/cleared user data then it would start working again for a few minutes. Not only would it start crashing but if I trlied to look at my purchased apps nothgn whoudl show up.

4) The small icons on the task bar in the top right (home, back etc) could really do with being further apart.

All in all this mod has great promise and not just because it is the only way to get 2.3 on a vega ATM, but it still needs some work.

For the moment I'm back to Advent stock 1.09 with skyfire 3.0 browser and smart keyboard pro (so I can turn those annoying popup letters off that appear each time you tap a key).

Guest add.thebad

I think its a great rom.

Every think appart form the market works well for me. keyboard works fine and i like the soft keys having at the botam right is much more useful and i prefer that to the modoco rom.

that said it is still a work in progress but it defiantly has the potential to be a great rom and having a cyanogen dev on out side is a great thing!

Guest dagrim1

Really liking this one... Some observations so far:

* Some issues with softbuttons. After first install placing them at the top and bottom left caused issues with the keyboard (when on top, typing on the keyboard caused the notifications coming down and at the bottom left trying to hit the softbuttons made the notification bar pop up). Moving them to the bottom right and back to bottom left made things work again. No problems since that.

* Laggy at times. Somehow it just feels laggy. Especially noticable when typing on the keyboard but also when going through appdrawer, webbrowsers, etc. Just doesn't feel really optimized yet.

Trying to figure out if disabling surface dithering helps, seems to.

* No bluetooth? Also not when powering off and turning on again (as mentioned in the main thread). It tries to turn on but stays shut off...

* CPU governot settings in cyanogenmod settings not doing anything.

* Browser (at least dolphin HD and mini) sometimes locking and freezing the device. Not sure it it's the rom or the browser

All in all, very nice and battery leeft actually seems excelent as well! Cheers for all this!

Btw, can I use the touchscreen calibration tool in combination with CM7?

Guest bennji_boy
I think its a great rom.

Every think appart form the market works well for me. keyboard works fine and i like the soft keys having at the botam right is much more useful and i prefer that to the modoco rom.

that said it is still a work in progress but it defiantly has the potential to be a great rom and having a cyanogen dev on out side is a great thing!

I love it, I've got CM7 on my phone and was disappointed when Apache's CM7 kept getting stuck on boot screen on the vega. Well pleased mad dog picked it up.

Edited by bennji_boy

Guest Mark_L

Yes you can use the touchscreen calibration tool.. well at least it appears to run without any problems.

Cant promise it's doing anything usefull though! :D

I extracted the apk from the 1.09 stock firmware, I think its called 'moduleap.apk or something like that.

A question for those that have this ROM loaded and the market working ok.. could you please tell me exactly how you got the market working?

The first time I tried the market kept crasing, the next time it wouldn't load, then next the market opens but if I try to search for software the screen just goes completely white.

Guest add.thebad
I love it, I've got CM7 on my phone and was disappointed when Apache's CM7 kept getting stuck on boot screen on the vega. Well pleased mad dog picked it up.

mee too its great. i love the modification mad-murdock has done to gingerbread makes it a much better tablet experience. Here's to hoping we get official cyanogen support now!!

Guest add.thebad
Yes you can use the touchscreen calibration tool.. well at least it appears to run without any problems.

nice job. can u post the apk here so i can give it a try

A question for those that have this ROM loaded and the market working ok.. could you please tell me exactly how you got the market working?

The first time I tried the market kept crasing, the next time it wouldn't load, then next the market opens but if I try to search for software the screen just goes completely white.

i just flashed the tegra version of gapps through CW but it can be a bit on and off tbh

Guest Mark_L

Hi, I can't see how to attach a file to a post or i'd include a copy for you.

Anyway its easy enough to get a copy, just download the stock 1.09 firmware and extract it using winrar. You can then copy the apk to your vega and run it.

Oh an I figured out the market thing, its fine if you have the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.