Sense ROM Porting Talk

Guest Frankish

Guest Frankish

I'm not 100% sure on what would be required to port a Sense rom to our Blade but i for one would love the option to run this. Having come from a Desire i have been really impressed with the Blade but sometimes i miss Sense. (When i had the Desire i ran stock android lol)

Currently our beautiful little Blade has rock solid 2.2 Froyo roms running, a very stable Cyanogenmod 7 (RC4 is that good for me!) and obviously the Orange 2.1. As far as money goes the Blade is the ONLY contender in the title for budget Android king. It can do so much it even has a partially working Honeycomb build!

If any dev can drop some knowledge on me as to weather porting a Sense rom is possible at all and where anyone would even start then that would be great. I think obviously a good start point would be any Sense rom that comes from a device using the same chipset. I am totally clueless though my experience goes as far as apk modding. I'd even be happy with a 2.2 Sense rom!

I know of non HTC devices that have at least partially working Sense roms,

Galaxy S and it's variants. (Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant and Epic).

Motorola Milestone.

Edited by Frankish

Guest mannas

the problem is that the htc phones with the same chipset as our blade have different screen resolution and the ones with the same resolution have roms bigger than ours system partition.

Guest Pelemane
the problem is that the htc phones with the same chipset as our blade have different screen resolution and the ones with the same resolution have roms bigger than ours system partition.

You can make system partition bigger with TPT.

Guest Frankish
there is the wildfire S leaked rom

Only problem is that it's mdpi but that is solvable...

Also regarding the roms being too large, look at early "new" sense froyo leaks for Desire. (Desire Z and HD dumps) they were too large to fit Desire's system partition so part of the rom was actually set to install straight to an ext partition. The size of a rom is no issue at all there are workarounds.

Edited by Frankish

Guest shadowninty

I'm not particularly interested, but it would be great to see this for the many who desire it!

Whoever ports it will be an incredible hero, as its a tough task

Edited by shadowninty

Guest JimJam707
I'm not particularly interested, but it would be great to see this for the many who desire it!

Whoever ports it will be an incredible hero, as its a tough task

/pun x 2

That was awesome. You Legend.

Edited by JimJam707

Guest JimJam707
you missed incredible :D

I might have to get that on a tattoo. Oh boy, that would be a dream. Probably go down like a wildfire though :/

Guest shadowninty
I might have to get that on a tattoo. Oh boy, that would be a dream. Probably go down like a wildfire though :/

ok funny.. but this thread is flyering off topic... the mods will be here with thunderbolts and lightning

Guest ivanko021

You guys totally rule!

Anyway I'm not sure many people would prefer sense functionality over CM7 speed for example. Is there a way to merge Sense functionality and themes with CM7? I do think that this would be the only sensible decision. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest domenico lamberti

Please do this if possible, i heard something about an app called X-tools or something liek that over at XDA and tat helps you compile ROMs and shizzle and i would just really like a good Sense ROM on my blade, at the moment i use HeLauncher with the slate sense theme, but i switch between that and the normal sense launcher

Guest k0zmic

This would be great coming from a Hero. I believe the Legend, Wildfire S and Aria have the same chipset. However, none have the same resolution with the same chipset so the APK's will need to be resized I think.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest fonix232

Okay, then, let's do some magic, ya know, thunderbolts, etc, and we can drop one together :)

BTW, easy-peasy, grab the binary part from an ARMv6 ROM, then the matching version framework and apps from an ARMv7 one, and we are done.

Guest JimJam707
Okay, then, let's do some magic, ya know, thunderbolts, etc, and we can drop one together :)

BTW, easy-peasy, grab the binary part from an ARMv6 ROM, then the matching version framework and apps from an ARMv7 one, and we are done.

Not that easy xD

The Sense ROMs are mahoosive in size. Too big for the Blade.

Guest Frankish
Not that easy xD

The Sense ROMs are mahoosive in size. Too big for the Blade.

And they got them working on the original Desire still...part of the system folder is installed to an ext partition on sdcard...that bit is easy. We have a Sense HD rom on the Motorola Defy :)

Guest domenico lamberti
And they got them working on the original Desire still...part of the system folder is installed to an ext partition on sdcard...that bit is easy. We have a Sense HD rom on the Motorola Defy :)

then is that a maybe that we might be able to do this for our blade ?

Guest HCDR.Jacob

I tried porting one for our Blade, it didn't work.

Just some points for people looking to port:

*You'll need an ARMv6 version (e.g. Wildfire S)

*You'll need to add more drawables for hdpi (since HTC ARMv6 devices are all mdpi)

*You'll need a *lot* of proprietary stuff added or changed, as well as some binaries built from source

• 2 weeks later...