Vega still the way to go?

Guest Village Idiot

Guest Village Idiot

I've arranged a refund on my unopened Vega due to the Dixons price drop.

Should I go ahead and order a £199 Vega?

Or is there a better tablet out there for me?

I need rock solid wifi access above all else.

Thanks!

Only thing to keep an eye on is the Asus Eee Pad Transformer which is due out April 18th for £379, featuring Honeycomb as well as 10.1" IPS screen 1G ram, 16GB storage and GPS onboard. However, is it almost double the price. It seems Dixons will pay to collect unwanted items these days, so if funds are available, why not order the the £199 Vega while it's still available and sit on it for a few weeks to see what the Asus has to offer?

Guest ezynow

From what i can see samsung tab 8.9 looks like the part.

For me the vega is too heavy for mobile internet usage. Had to get a stand case to get over the wrist ache! Mind you i thought the ipad was too heavy. Being lightest tab around and backed by Samsung (already on 2nd gen) should be out the box ready for consumer, which is needed to overtake the ifad!

The vega is a budget tab - so i knew about the compromises to be made. thought i would get some experience of tinkering with android before getting something more expensive.

The biggest let down with tegra2 is the lack of 1080p high profile. Personally, i feel Nvidia are pulling a fast one, no where in the marketing spiel it says that it plays only limited baseline profile (1080p should mean 1080p)

So might even skip this gen and wait for the tegra 4 etc. so should be more approaching a pc rather than a mobile internet device which all these device are at the moment.

If i am spending a wedge of cash i expect a lot more cpu or a least a fully capable media player.

But if you like your gadgets - the vega aint too bad.

Guest zzleezz
From what i can see samsung tab 8.9 looks like the part.

For me the vega is too heavy for mobile internet usage. Had to get a stand case to get over the wrist ache! Mind you i thought the ipad was too heavy. Being lightest tab around and backed by Samsung (already on 2nd gen) should be out the box ready for consumer, which is needed to overtake the ifad!

The vega is a budget tab - so i knew about the compromises to be made. thought i would get some experience of tinkering with android before getting something more expensive.

The biggest let down with tegra2 is the lack of 1080p high profile. Personally, i feel Nvidia are pulling a fast one, no where in the marketing spiel it says that it plays only limited baseline profile (1080p should mean 1080p)

So might even skip this gen and wait for the tegra 4 etc. so should be more approaching a pc rather than a mobile internet device which all these device are at the moment.

If i am spending a wedge of cash i expect a lot more cpu or a least a fully capable media player.

But if you like your gadgets - the vega aint too bad.

Not sure what you ended up recommending, starting out with 1 tab that is not yet available and has a release date waaay into summer and ending up with tegra 4 B)

For the OP, I would say go for it. If your budget is not unlimited, and you dont own a time machine then the Vega is clearly the best deal at this end of the market. There also seems to be a big increase right now of Vega owners, now is a good time to be involved in the scene :D

As for wifi stability, last year there were a few times when I had roms on my Vega that had some wifi glitches but all this year so far it has been rock solid. And now we have a rom that has the ability to leave wifi on in sleep state its even faster getting into what you want to do after hitting the power button ;)

Guest ezynow
Not sure what you ended up recommending, starting out with 1 tab that is not yet available and has a release date waaay into summer and ending up with tegra 4 B)

For the OP, I would say go for it. If your budget is not unlimited, and you dont own a time machine then the Vega is clearly the best deal at this end of the market. There also seems to be a big increase right now of Vega owners, now is a good time to be involved in the scene :D

As for wifi stability, last year there were a few times when I had roms on my Vega that had some wifi glitches but all this year so far it has been rock solid. And now we have a rom that has the ability to leave wifi on in sleep state its even faster getting into what you want to do after hitting the power button ;)

Just making the point the vega is good for six months before you will be eyeing up something much better in terms of weight, screen quality, honey comb, media playback etc etc. There is no denying this a budget tab - no amount of software upgrades is gonna get over these physical limitations.

As i said before (besides the 1080p con) i knew what i was getting with the vega for the money i paid and i quite like it.

Guest zzleezz
Just making the point the vega is good for six months before you will be eyeing up something much better in terms of weight, screen quality, honey comb, media playback etc etc. There is no denying this a budget tab - no amount of software upgrades is gonna get over these physical limitations.

As i said before (besides the 1080p con) i knew what i was getting with the vega for the money i paid and i quite like it.

No sorry, this "the vega is gonna be defunct when xxx tab comes along" doesnt wash.

The vega was a great buy in November when it was released and STILL is now, this is because it has very very strong hardware and is amazingly cheap for what it is. I think you are equating a low price tag with cheap and nasty. Yes its a budget tab, in price. Yes the screen is not the best you can get but it is not a bad screen, viewing angles are not the best but the quality of the screen is actually very good. The build quality is not gold plated but neither is it cheap feeling. But where there cant be any arguments is the guts, the horsepower you get for your £199 is amazing and nothing on the market can match it for bangs per buck.

Physical limitations in what way?

I have not looked into the 1080p playback shortcoming you have, have had no real call to use it plugged into a telly, have far too much stuff plugged into my telly already that can give me all the 1080p goodness I require. In fact I have never even plugged a HDMI cable into it :D

The only way I will be eyeing up a replacement in 6 months time is if there is something with better hardware, screen, mem, cpu, that is as budget in price as the Vega.

Guest Drat2

Depends what you want to do.

If you are looking for a cheap pad to surf the web and read email while sitting on the couch, then it is a bargain.

If you are looking for the best resolution screen and the nicest looking pad to impress then it is not for you.

If money is no object get the ASUS transformer.

I am quite happy with my VEGA as a cheap way of surfing the web from the couch, though it would be nice to have a better gmail client and a higher screen resolution, but would I pay double the price for that at the moment? Probably not. The ASUS transformer looks very nice and a good price, but I would want to get the 64Gb version plus the keyboard, which starts to take the price much higher. So, better to have the cheap but functional VEGA now and get a better tablet maybe in a years time when specs will be higher and prices (probably) lower.

Oh I am slo getting my kicks playing xenowar on it, which is a simple version of the tactical squad based combat from the excellent xcom game from the past. The graphics might be basic but the gameplay is deep :D

Guest bazanime

1080p on a 10 inch screen is stupid, but that's my opinion, I enjoy films on my 4.3 inch phone just fine. Each to their own.

The asus eeepad is great at its price, next best thing to the vega. I don't trust samsung mobile gear in terms of software.

I don't trust samsung mobile gear in terms of software.

Having said that I do have Gingerbread on Galaxy S. which was running Eclair when I got it.

As regards the current crop of new tablets, although they have better screens, more memory, more/better sensors, and Honeycomb pre-installed, they generally have the same processor (albeit Ventana as opposed to Harmony), and they are going to be just as obsolete in 6 months when the next gen processors are released.

Guest BillBong

I had my Vega for about a week but then I returned it because I had a problem with the date/time resetting every time you power down. I thought it was good value for the money in the time I had it (I got for £211 through PCW Business) but I got messed about in the return process. The business contact centre kept telling me to go and exchange it in-store and the in-store people (in the business centre) kept refusing to deal with it - which ended up in 3 wasted journeys. So in the end I returned it without ordering a replacement.

I think I'm going to go for the eee transformer which is out in the next couple of weeks - it's £380 but if you get it through Comet with a discount code and TopCashBack it comes down to £360'ish. Looks good in the specs

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets...50002197/specs/

Guest birring
I've arranged a refund on my unopened Vega due to the Dixons price drop.

Should I go ahead and order a £199 Vega?

Or is there a better tablet out there for me?

I need rock solid wifi access above all else.

Thanks!

I have had my Vega since November and I am beggining to get really vexed with Android now. On the Vega its buggy, graphic glitches, device reboots itself randomly, bogus apps on the market place. Not all of the apps work. Yes i have installed The Modaco rom numerous times, tried the factory rom still the same, its all rubbish and now we here that Honeycomb is delayed and that it may not even support the Vega! The hardware is here but the android OS as a tablet it not finished and wont be for a while. I also have a desire HD which i am very impressed with however again android lets it down with loads of security issues and bad apps that dont work on the marketplace.

The more I think about it the more I am thinking of going Apple. At least everything works how it should.

Guest Village Idiot

I am starting to think about getting an Eee Transformer, especially as I have £50 worth of DSG vouchers that I could use against a £379 Eee in-store but cannot use online to get a £199 Vega. That really narrows the price differential for me.

I won't be getting an iPad, don't want to get into bed with Apple, and, who knows, I might actually want to upgrade or plug something into my tablet :D

Edited by Village Idiot

Guest Rossuk

I'm in the same situation, I can get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3G for £299, but the Vega is £199 now, so I got no idea which one to get lol

Guest CrArC

I think I'm eyeing up the Transformer too. There's just too many niggles for me on the Vega. I know cheap tablets imply compromises but it transpires I'm not willing to make them after all. As others have said, the iPad is not really an option either. :D

Guest warriorscot

There really isn't anything to compare a vega to price wise so it is still the best buy. If I had the cash I would have a xoom but speculation like that is pointless. In terms of android 2.2 it has niggles but honestly most of the major issues are fixed now and a lot of things can be laid at the feet of users or hardware. And the market is a seperate beast and not really neccesary if you are going around installing the pointless apps from unkown devs you deserve what you get. I don't even use the market for anything other than big major apps that I want to keep updated.

Guest zzleezz
There really isn't anything to compare a vega to price wise so it is still the best buy. If I had the cash I would have a xoom but speculation like that is pointless. In terms of android 2.2 it has niggles but honestly most of the major issues are fixed now and a lot of things can be laid at the feet of users or hardware. And the market is a seperate beast and not really neccesary if you are going around installing the pointless apps from unkown devs you deserve what you get. I don't even use the market for anything other than big major apps that I want to keep updated.

+1 totally agree.

In fact I think that the Vega and other android tablets should be used as a test for end users, those that cant work android should get a dumbed down iPad that "just works". Lost count of the times I have had people ask me (as someone that is well know as a tech head geek) how to get xyz working on their iPad or iPad minipodtouch. Wifi seems to be the biggest bugbear. I just smile and tell them that I have no idea how apple products work as they are too complicated for me :D

Guest simonta
The more I think about it the more I am thinking of going Apple. At least everything works how it should.

This is a myth perpetuated by people who don't have Apple or who are "selectively forgetful". I have a Mac PC, Mrs T has an iPhone and my old man has an iPad. All have more than their fair share of problems.

Guest gswallow

I was sitting on the fence for ages waiting for the Honeycomb tabs to appear. I held off the VEGA pre-Xmas as it seemed, at the time, like the "get it out there cheap" product, from the hopeless DSG group, in some vague hope that it might swing a few iPad wannabees. As it turns out DSG randomly hit upon a great product.

As CES etc happened the shortlist on HC tabs was long on names but short on release dates. Still, 3 months into the year its the insanely priced Xoom, or nothing. Then you start looking at the Asus, but they've never really done Android before, so worries there. There's the LG Slate, Toshiba have the Folio replacement, Samsung peddling more tabs and so on, but they all look a)overpriced and :D too uncertain in time to market. Every day the VEGA looks better and better.

As previous posts have mentioned the hardware is really very good spec wise, the screen isn't iPad bright, but nor is the price. Build quality is fine, ports/expandability are great. Probably the biggest hurdle is the made-for-phone Android OS. Surely no-one would argue that we couldn't all do with some decent made for tablet apps - but that isn't the VEGA's fault.

Frankly anyone comparing the VEGA to the Samsung 7" Tab needs to compare the 2 - they are totally different. Samsung = large phone. VEGA = tablet. To each their own, but with £200, a brain and some time - the VEGA is genuinely the only choice.

I'm really tempted by the Asus Transformer, but even with the codes n cashback it is still over £150 more, and the 'dock' isn't really a dock it's a keyboard that turns it into a netbook, which I don't really need. Plus we don't know if the bootloader is locked, or if it is rootable. And although I believe that Honeycomb will be an improvement over Froyo, I can't help but think that it will not revolutionise how I use my tablet, and will be a bit of an anti-climax.

Unfortunately, I can barely afford a tablet at the mo, and it wasn't until DSG dropped the price to £199 that I decided to take the plunge again. So for me it is Vega or nothing (which it still might be if I decide to return it under the DSRs).

Guest Vansphone

I am going to wait until the summer before I make any decisions.

I don’t mind waiting providing there is something to wait for. As an example, I waited until the iPad 2 launch before buying a tablet, but I was so under whelmed by the iPad 2 I immediately went out and bought the Vega.

However, a week later I then bought an original iPad for a nock down price. So the family use the iPad and I use the Vega. Both are good devices in their own way.

The Transformer looks interesting but I want to hold one to see is it is too bulky. I also want to wait until the Honeycomb premium price gets eroded a bit.

Guest dagrim1
I'd guess that the price of the Vega will probably go back up once they sell the versions without Flash.

Really? Can't imagine actually...

But for the price the vega is actually quite perfect, the only real issue is the screen (I'd be so happy to have a proper screen with 1280x800 resolution) and perhaps the ram. Honeycomb will very likely arive in the end and apart from the ram and screen the newer tablets don't have that much extra to offer.

The speed will not be very different between the vega and the rest (unless HoneyComb increases the speed as well).

To be honest I'm keeping an eye out for the Asus Transformer as well, but I wonder if it really is worth it. I'd go for the points mentioned before but have to figure out if it's worth the money...

Guest stoolzo
Really? Can't imagine actually...

But for the price the vega is actually quite perfect, the only real issue is the screen (I'd be so happy to have a proper screen with 1280x800 resolution) and perhaps the ram. Honeycomb will very likely arive in the end and apart from the ram and screen the newer tablets don't have that much extra to offer.

The speed will not be very different between the vega and the rest (unless HoneyComb increases the speed as well).

To be honest I'm keeping an eye out for the Asus Transformer as well, but I wonder if it really is worth it. I'd go for the points mentioned before but have to figure out if it's worth the money...

Well, I used to think the vega was the best way to go, it may still be if you are on a budget and can get it for £199. However I decided that as it cannot play high profile H264 and the audio was, well, !!!! SHITE !!!!!, I might as well get the IPAD as it is a far superior device in all aspects. I got a refurb for PCWORLD for £299 with full warranty.

Now i'm no ifan, I despise Itunes and apple in general but I am really happy I shelled out the extra £50, the screen is way way better than the Vega, as is the battery life and audio quality. The audio / music DAW apps are plentiful and general apps are of better quality generally than the android efforts. (just my opinion)

I think Android really has go a long way to go before it will seriously appeal to musicians like myself, a the moment its nothing more than a glorified Phone OS with some tablet abilities.

And now for the trolls, be kind....

Guest ezynow

Not sure if any serious musician would want to get a phone/pad for making music.

I must be lucky but my audio sounds normal to me.

Vega + 32gb sd + 3g dongle can be had for under 250 pounds.

Ifad 2 for the same functinality around 700 pounds.

DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!