Switching USB Host mode to Slave in Smartbook 360? (Vega)

Guest Jusas

Guest Jusas

I'm pretty new to all of this stuff so before exploding my tablet by thinking that I know what I'm doing I want to ask for advice...

Here's the nut to crack:

I just bought a Smartbook Surfer 360 MN10U which is basically a modified Vega. It has all the goodies of Vega plus 3G and GPS which is exactly why I bought it.

Now the annoying (and somewhat nice) thing is that the device is by default stuck in USB Host mode. This means I can stick in USB sticks etc. which is sweet... however when it comes to Android development I'm royally screwed; my PC doesn't recognize the tablet obviously since it's in host mode. In recovery mode my PC does recognize it but that doesn't really help. I need to get proper access to my tablet to use adb and to debug Android apps so I really need the slave mode.

Knowing that it's a Vega clone means I could probably install most stuff related. In fact I've already installed an Add-on ROM for Vega that adds the Market, Superuser, Visionary + a few other apps and that seems to work just fine. I also just installed the Advent Vega USB Mode widget by simonta that shows the active USB mode - and as expected it shows my tablet is in host mode.

Now I'd really like to know how to get my device work in slave mode. I don't mind if it isn't working 100% - I mainly just want adb access and the ability to debug Android apps. When I actually use the tablet it can be in the host mode. I read there's a script or something that can boot to slave and host modes and require different kernels. That could probably work for me. However I have no idea what kernel is compatible etc. so I'm a bit confused. I'm a fast learner though so if you could just point me to the relevant posts/docs I'd really appreciate it.

BTW, very nice forums! :D

Oh and a few details about my device:

Model number: Vega

Android version: 2.2

EC version: 1.9.0

Kernel version: 2.6.32.9_P10_v1.10_20110218_MAX

Build number: harmony 2.2 FRF91 20110211.101539

Guest Jusas

Ok, it's me again here and I think I just found a usable solution: adbWireless app from the market. This seems to work for now and I'm hoping it'll be enough for me...