Official 2.2 upgrade for Swedish Comviq and TeliaSonera phones

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Mike_P
im in uk on orange getting-113dbm 2asu upgraded to gen 2 are these figures strong ive no idea

I don't suppose you noticed what it was generally like before you updated to Gen2, also hope that's not with '2G only' selected because I'm afraid that's a pretty weak signal level, could be worse (but not much).

comviq is hard to root

tried superoneclick,

z4 and universal androot.

But strange thing is superuser has been installed ?

Anyway here is the log from universal androot for any devs here who may be interested

UniversalAndroot.zip

sorry its in a zip,modaco uploader would not let me upload the log as it was ?

Guest hecatae
Picture or it didn't happen B)

I found your screenshot. Not very steady 2.1 :D 5/8 just over 0.1.

I tried with my SGS and get very steady 1.6+ all the time. With Blade I get 0.4 all the time.

I blame o2 uk for that

Guest hecatae
comviq is hard to root

tried superoneclick,

z4 and universal androot.

But strange thing is superuser has been installed ?

Anyway here is the log from universal androot for any devs here who may be interested

UniversalAndroot.zip

sorry its in a zip,modaco uploader would not let me upload the log as it was ?

I could only temporary root with z4root, which is why I installed SS over the top.

Just noticed the Bulgaria Globul Z3 rom is newer according to the stock roms thread

my baseband has changed from P729BB01 to P729B01

Edited by hecatae

I could only temporary root with z4root, which is why I installed SS over the top.

Just noticed the Bulgaria Globul Z3 rom is newer according to the stock roms thread

my baseband has changed from P729BB01 to P729B01

S.S being based on the comviq rom.So after flashing S.S over comviq,would we still have comviq only now with root

Also,I managed to get temp root with Z4 after a few attemps

Guest wookie16081965
I don't suppose you noticed what it was generally like before you updated to Gen2, also hope that's not with '2G only' selected because I'm afraid that's a pretty weak signal level, could be worse (but not much).

no signal is with 3g and before my signal in my house was bad most of the time had go outside when recieving call now can walk all over house get 2 bars even gps gets lock inside now didnt think to look at signal before i updated to gen 2

Guest Rotmann
Just a short test of Gen1 (SSRLS4) and Gen2 (Saunalahti 2.2 Stock) shows roughly the same signal levels (next to each other). The operator is Finnish Saunalahti (Elisa) However, the signal bars showed much better status in Gen2 Blade :D

Difficult to say any exact values, as the signal is varying a little bit, but it is hopping betveen -77, -79, and -83dBm in both phones even if I exchange the places of the phones and try to be as far as possible (in order not to disturb the signal).

As well, there may be some interference caused by the other phone, and thus, it may be very challenging to estimate/measure the Rx sensitivity without RF lab.

Thanks for confirming this. This is the only reliable way of testing. 2G/3G cells breathe and the signal is not the same, the signal bars are not accurate and will differ from ROM to ROM, the best method is to compare the dbm. So it seems that we have +1 in favor of better signal (cgf) and +1 in favor of same signal (mlppm).

Edited by Rotmann

S.S being based on the comviq rom.So after flashing S.S over comviq,would we still have comviq only now with root

Also,I managed to get temp root with Z4 after a few attemps

just realized.

Frankish themes work with comviq stock 2.2 :D

if only I could get full root

Guest oh!dougal
Thanks for confirming this. This is the only reliable way of testing. 2G/3G cells breathe and the signal is not the same, the signal bars are not accurate and will differ from ROM to ROM, the best method is to compare the dbm. So it seems that we have +1 in favor of better signal (cgf) and +1 in favor of same signal (mlppm).

I suspect it may also be network (and band) dependant.

I note that mippm is on Saunalahti, and that experience may not be relevant to UK use.

There are at least a couple of reports of people being able to happily use their phones in places that they couldn't previously.

Accordingly, I tend towards thinking that for some people, on some networks, there may be a real improvement.

I haven't noted anyone claiming worse reception!

Hence, Gen2 seems like it could offer an improvement, BUT, unless you live with bothersome reception problems at the moment, updating to Gen2 is not by any means a 'must-do'. Well, not yet anyway!

Guest hecatae
I suspect it may also be network (and band) dependant.

I note that mippm is on Saunalahti, and that experience may not be relevant to UK use.

There are at least a couple of reports of people being able to happily use their phones in places that they couldn't previously.

Accordingly, I tend towards thinking that for some people, on some networks, there may be a real improvement.

I haven't noted anyone claiming worse reception!

Hence, Gen2 seems like it could offer an improvement, BUT, unless you live with bothersome reception problems at the moment, updating to Gen2 is not by any means a 'must-do'. Well, not yet anyway!

how can you differentiate between 900 3g and 2100 3g?

Guest oh!dougal
how can you differentiate between 900 3g and 2100 3g?

I certainly can't!

My point was that some people could report 'no change' and others could say "massive improvement" -- and BOTH reports could quite possibly be absolutely true!

As of now, I haven't seen ANYONE reporting worse reception.

But I think it would be helpful if people reported what network & what location this update gave improvements with. For example, we might find that it gave data throughput increases in London but not Lampeter on the same network...

Its not an update to be taken lightly.

There's no going back, and if your within-warranty-period phone developed a hardware problem, you might have a bit of a job explaining why it was a Gen2... whereas while its a Gen1, one could expect to 'revirginate' it fairly straightforwardly.

I certainly can't!

My point was that some people could report 'no change' and others could say "massive improvement" -- and BOTH reports could quite possibly be absolutely true!

As of now, I haven't seen ANYONE reporting worse reception.

But I think it would be helpful if people reported what network & what location this update gave improvements with. For example, we might find that it gave data throughput increases in London but not Lampeter on the same network...

Its not an update to be taken lightly.

There's no going back, and if your within-warranty-period phone developed a hardware problem, you might have a bit of a job explaining why it was a Gen2... whereas while its a Gen1, one could expect to 'revirginate' it fairly straightforwardly.

Yeah, I'd agree with all of this. I'm on my third day on Gen2 and as far as I can tell, unless Orange have put up a mast outside during the same time period there is some sort of improvement. It wasn't worth using my mobile at home previously as the reception was so bad, at least half of the calls where people would call me would fail or go straight to answer machine. I've done all of my calls exclusively on the Blade since the upgrade and I haven't had a single failure.

Still it's a shame we can't work this one out conclusively.

Edited by cgk

Guest wookie16081965
Yeah, I'd agree with all of this. I'm on my third day on Gen2 and as far as I can tell, unless Orange have put up a mast outside during the same time period there is some sort of improvement. It wasn't worth using my mobile at home previously as the reception was so bad, at least half of the calls where people would call me would fail or go straight to answer machine. I've done all of my calls exclusively on the Blade since the upgrade and I haven't had a single failure.

Still it's a shame we can't work this one out conclusively.

just replying giving network and location im on orange and in merseyside have seen vast improvement in signal

I am on T-Mobile in surrey.on the comviq rom my signal on average is 11asu.

Yet on CM7-RC4,I am getting an average of 14asu

Edited by Guest

Guest mlpplm
Just a quick noobie question:

I have now 2 Blades, one Gen1 (currently SSRLS4) and one Gen2 (Finnish operator Saunalahti stock 2.2).

Would following be successful?

1) Install Clockwork recovery to Gen2 Blade

2) Factory reset, wipes etc.

3) ->Full backup of the "clean" Saunalahti 2.2 ROM by using Clockwork recovery

4) "Upgrade" Gen1 Blade to Gen2

5) Restore Saunalahti 2.2 Backup in Upgraded Blade

I have updated previously a couple of Gen1 blades to JJ9 by using Clockwork backup and this was quite straightforward and e.g the wifi MAC addresses were not cloned (have read some posts saying that the MAC addresses would be cloned if done like this).

Reply to myself:

This procedure worked like a charm! I applied the false Telia/Sonera update package, which was actually a sort of Elisa FIN FW update. However, after the upgrade, my Blade was in roaming mode and 3G didn't work. Luckily I had the Gen2 backup from the native Gen2 blade and after restore, the Blade was up and running just fine with the original wifi MAC address.

Guest ambak
just realized.

Frankish themes work with comviq stock 2.2 :D

if only I could get full root

themes are fine here too, except the circle battery mod, phone won't start after installing, loops on android load screen??

themes are fine here too, except the circle battery mod, phone won't start after installing, loops on android load screen??

circle mod the one I using,no problems with any of franish themes for me with comviq

Edited by Guest

Guest gwebb
Can people report uplink speeds?

so!

o2 uk - 2.1 mbps

saunalahti finland - 0.35mbps

So far I have tried Three UK, giffgaff (which runs on O2) and Orange, none of them seem to have HSUPA working, they top out around 0.35 Mb/s. I put the Three SIM in my GT540 and I get an HSUPA ~1.5 Mb/s uplink.

I wonder if there is something different between the various Blades that people have upgraded to Gen2?

*edit* I tested again this morning, and also checked T-mobile.

Downlink/Uplink speeds in kb/s

ZTE Blade (Gen2) LG GT540
T-mobile 360/106 356/131
Orange 1623/386 1810/420
Three 3004/358 4505/1494
giffgaff 1017/378 1125/1187 [/codebox]

Look at the Three and giffgaff uplink speeds, upgrading to Gen2 has not enabled HSUPA on my OSF.

Edited by gwebb

would someone be so kind and upload the flasher zip here,got download.exe already.

The problem is my blade is in boot loop after flashing comviq,so now i have no clockwork to fall back on.The files I need no longer on computer.At monent using a 2G phone that wont let me download from multi uploads etc,but,can download zip on modaco.

Need to flash Gen2 again to get clockwork.

I looked through thread on this phone with 2.8 inch screen.lol. not having luck finding flasher zip

would someone be so kind and upload the flasher zip here,got download.exe already.

The problem is my blade is in boot loop after flashing comviq,so now i have no clockwork to fall back on.The files I need no longer on computer.At monent using a 2G phone that wont let me download from multi uploads etc,but,can download zip on modaco.

Need to flash Gen2 again to get clockwork.

I looked through thread on this phone with 2.8 inch screen.lol. not having luck finding flasher zip

Guest hecatae
So far I have tried Three UK, giffgaff (which runs on O2) and Orange, none of them seem to have HSUPA working, they top out around 0.35 Mb/s. I put the Three SIM in my GT540 and I get an HSUPA ~1.5 Mb/s uplink.

I wonder if there is something different between the various Blades that people have upgraded to Gen2?

*edit* I tested again this morning, and also checked T-mobile.

Downlink/Uplink speeds in kb/s

ZTE Blade (Gen2) LG GT540
T-mobile 360/106 356/131
Orange 1623/386 1810/420
Three 3004/358 4505/1494
giffgaff 1017/378 1125/1187 [/codebox]

Look at the Three and giffgaff uplink speeds, upgrading to Gen2 has not enabled HSUPA on my OSF.

I'm using the comviq libs and SS RLS4 not RLS4b

Guest gwebb
I believe so, the ril libs tell the radio what is enabled

Right so we want the Comviq ril lib, to match the Comviq amss.mbn that is included in the firmware I flashed?

kallt_kaffe said this about RLS4b:

"Replaced libril-qc-1.so for Gen2 phones with TeliaSonera version. (Comviq version showed Sweden 3G net as "Comviq" and I did not like that.)"

Guest hecatae
Right so we want the Comviq ril lib, to match the Comviq amss.mbn that is included in the firmware I flashed?

kallt_kaffe said this about RLS4b:

"Replaced libril-qc-1.so for Gen2 phones with TeliaSonera version. (Comviq version showed Sweden 3G net as "Comviq" and I did not like that.)"

yeah kallt changed that so the correct network name would show in Sweden, no other reason.