Swapped it for an IPad

Guest frada01

Guest frada01

Well it’s been a couple of weeks since swapping my second faulty Vega for an IPad 1st gen. First Vega screen went faulty and the second, well I just got fed-up with the bad quality display and quiet audio so took it back. Only had to pay an extra £80 so not too hard to swallow.

I was one of the lucky owners that got mine first Vega early December so had a great toy to play with over Christmas period, well that was until the device froze every time I used flash or visited a flash website. Even with Pauls roms and no other mods it drove me mad. On every other journey it played up where the screen just stopped responding. finally I took it back and to my surprise PCWorld just exchanged it there and then. They had literally just got their first batch of stock which was a result. (Well done PC World) The new Vega had definite improvements in overall quality and seemed faster in stock ROM form. I even left it for a while with side loaded market of course.

Thing is, I bought the Vega to get an experience with android as I've never owned an android device before and it looked like a bit of a hobby. I’ve had 3 generations of the IPhone all jailbroken and unlocked so was interested to see what the hype was about. Thing is, after spending 3 month customising the Vega(many late nights) I still had a device that had poor audio, useless eBook reading capacity/viewing angles and pretty poor app support. This overall tablet/android experience just couldn’t out way the quality and devices/OS limitations. Don’t get me wrong I've had great fun with ROMS, kernels and generally trying to mod the device as much as possible and there are definitely things I will miss not having the Vega anymore.

With the ‘ADVENT’ of Honeycomb, or not it looks like things should greatly improve both in the OS and the apps written for android tablets. And this is my second point. Any current comparisons between the two devices just fall short unless you compare the apps which is the main reason lots of us buy these devices. You only have to download something like garage band or sky news to see how good the IPad performs. Or maybe all we want to do is look at Flash sites. LOL

I don’t want to make this a Vega vs. IPAD thread as there are already to many ill-informed threads on here already. I’d rather like to thank Paul and the other developers on for their great contribution to this site and the Vega. The Vega would be useless without their work. As a paid member you never know I might even be back one day. The forum will always be in my favourites.

Hope you all get your honeycomb wish sooner rather than later.

Guest zzleezz

Good luck with your iPad mate. Sounds like your experiences really were not optimal.

There are of course some people that have come from iPad to Vega and there are bound to be others like yourself that make the opposite journey (or as I like to call it "a mistake" :D ). This all goes to show that they are different beasts and just as the Vega is not for everyone (I would not recommend it to my Mum) the iPad is also not for everyone (Mum would be able to use it, she is not great with complicated tech).

Horses for courses, expect to see you back in a pair of android trainers when you get tired of your Apple slippers B)