Perfect encoding software for the Vega! Quick!!

Guest carl rose

Guest carl rose

Ok, first things first, I have discovered a converter perfect for the Vega. It is windows based only and it is the only program that uses the GPU to convert video files very quick. If you have not got a good graphics card this is not for you. It uses the cuda processor to decode/encode HD movies at very high speed (depending on how good the graphics card is). On my Nvidia 8800 it converts a 1h 30m 720p film in under 40 minutes. It has a profile for the motorola xoom which makes this a top converter in my opinion. It's called Badaboom and they do a trial version here http://www.badaboomit.com/

It's by far the best quality and the fastest I have ever seen. Give it a try, it won't hurt. Files size is reduced also but you can finally have a smooth HD file on the Vega. I am in the process of testing the 1080P but I can assure you that the 720P runs beautifully with the stock player, real player, ESPlayer but not rock player. The output file is mp4 and the sound is downmix stereo but the quality is superb.

Just thought you guys might find this very useful! :D Let me know what you think

Guest dfghggfgfd

With Mediacoder you get all this for free and much more, you can tweak many more settings and get better quality than with badaboom.

Guest carl rose
My quad core running Handbrake is faster than that, and the quality is superb... and it's FREE!

I've got a quad core as well, it is quick I'll have to admit, even quicker to be honest, it does affect everything you do while encoding and to have a good encoding speed you can't use the pc. Everything is slow when you try to use it anyway (much slower than normal I mean). This will not affect anything apart from a little processor resources and little ram, nothing compared to what you get when you use the cpu and ram to encode that's for sure. While the computer is using the GPU power to encode the video your cpu and ram is free for you to do whatever else you like. This program is about using all system resourses effectivly, if you have a good graphics card that is. Like I said, it's pointless if you have not got one or onboard GPU. Don't take my thread as the only option but as an alternative to typical video encoding. I have a quad core but many more cuda processors 12 processors and 96 cores to be exact and they run at 1700mhz. Hope that helps?

Guest gitf@ce
Hope that helps?

Not really. I don't notice any adverse impact on my system while converting with Handbrake (or DVDcatalyst 4). I am able to play vids, flick through pic's even use Photoshop without any noticeable slowdown.

Badaboom=£25 Handbrake=free DVDcatalyst 4(now comes with Xoom profile)=£6 I just don't see people spending that kind of money just so they can use the GPU... sorry!

Guest CrArC

I found badaboom a bit disappointing, although it was a technicaly impressive bit of software. But yes, not nearly as fast as I hoped on an old 8800gtx. It didn't support gtx460's at the time either. I could see the card was largely unutilised as well, as the software that governed it would only use one CPU core.

If anyone has something that works with AMD cards I'd love to let my HD6990 loose on it :D but otherwise it's Mediacoder for me.

Guest carl rose

After testing the 1080p I found out that badaboom crashes. Exactly the same file type but 1080p. Shame as I really like the concept. When we are dealing with large files I find it very impressive that the graphics card alone is powerful enough to encode a film. I know that if it's powerful enought to run fast games it must be powerful enough to encode. Until now though nobody could tap into that power for encoding, If I'm not mistaken Badaboom is the only software that can do that. I find handbreak is very slow anyway. What profile do you guys use? What time do you get on a 720p mkv on the apple universal profile with 1h 30m film? I get about 25mins but it does go up and down? This is with all cores running 100% on an quad core athlon II 620 am3 orig 2600mhz but overclocked to 3250mhz with 4gb ddr3 1333mhz? Do you guys get 25 mins as well? or maybe less?

Guest HunteronX
With Mediacoder you get all this for free and much more, you can tweak many more settings and get better quality than with badaboom.

Thanks for this! I'll try it out soon.

Guest warriorscot

Almost all the current media encoding apps that are popular use CUDA handbrake is pretty much an exception. TMPGenc uses CUDA and mediacoder probably the best and most featured free app has used CUDA for as long as I can remember. And the XOOM has a higher screen res so what is the point of using its profile. Just use mediacoder and find a vega profile or just make one yourself and upload it into the profile database so that everyone can use it.

Don't see the point in paying for something when an opensource option is available.

Guest wi-fli

I do agree with warriorscot re: open source (big Linux user, me...) and I do like free as well, but having said that, big +1 for DVD Catalyst which is well cheap and really good. (and, ironically seems to be a user friendly front end on some open source code anyway)

Just my thoughts.

Guest carl rose

Can someone point me to a free copy of a media converter software that just uses CUDA to convert? As far as I know and after reading a bit there isn't any other. The mediacoder NT CUDA edition has been stopped because of licencing problems with Nvidia. If someone says different and have some links for me to try I would appreciate it. I don't want handbreak or anything else that uses the cpu and memory to encode a file, I want something that uses cuda. Free would be great.

After testing a bit more with handbreak and badaboom I find badaboom to be better and quicker. I get 26fps on handbreak and 45fps on badaboom, badaboom converting a higher res file. Now, I don't know if it's my cpu but all cores are running 100% and I have written my specs on one of the posts above.

I prefer free like everyone else, but if it's free and s*** then I rather pay and get something that is worthwhile than spend hours fiddling with the settings and not really get anywhere. The xoom has a higher res screen but the profile on badaboom plays beautifully on the vega so I don't really care about the spec comparison between the 2 machines.

Thanks in advance

Edited by carl rose