Finally took the plunge

Guest JamD

Hello all, after doing mucho research on the old tinternet, and watching a few youtube vids, particularly those outlines Pausl greats roms, I finally took the plunge and ordered an Advent Vega, at £199 from Dixons, hard to resist. I also ordered a Sony Xperia play today. Its been a fun day of Android purchases, should be interesting when the wife sees the packages arrive. I have to admit, Asda are doing the Galaxy Tab (the 3G version) for £299, so was very tempted, but I dont plan on using the tablet away from home, and even if I do I can always use the phones connection via wifi tethering. To be honest, after owning an Orange San Fransisco for a while, and using Pauls Roms, seeing he had performed his magic with the Vega made the decision much more easy. Look forward to playing with it, got an email stating 3 day delivery, wohoo.

Guest carl rose
Hello all, after doing mucho research on the old tinternet, and watching a few youtube vids, particularly those outlines Pausl greats roms, I finally took the plunge and ordered an Advent Vega, at £199 from Dixons, hard to resist. I also ordered a Sony Xperia play today. Its been a fun day of Android purchases, should be interesting when the wife sees the packages arrive. I have to admit, Asda are doing the Galaxy Tab (the 3G version) for £299, so was very tempted, but I dont plan on using the tablet away from home, and even if I do I can always use the phones connection via wifi tethering. To be honest, after owning an Orange San Fransisco for a while, and using Pauls Roms, seeing he had performed his magic with the Vega made the decision much more easy. Look forward to playing with it, got an email stating 3 day delivery, wohoo.

Well done. You won't regret buying the vega, it's a great piece of kit. Welcome to the Vega section of the forum! :D

Guest carl rose

Well done. You won't regret buying the vega, it's a great piece of kit. Welcome to the Vega section of the forum! :D

Guest elvis333

I bought one from dixons yesterday, hoping delivery wont be to long ive got it coming on standard delivery. Maybe we could help each other mod the tablets together as i havent got a clue how to do it ie, flash, marketplace etc.

Guest WelshPhil

Same here ordered my Vega on Friday from Dixon's online, with the case and extra sd card etc etc. so hopefully should arrive mid-week, looking forward to flashing this thing as it's all new to me

Guest elvis333
Same here ordered my Vega on Friday from Dixon's online, with the case and extra sd card etc etc. so hopefully should arrive mid-week, looking forward to flashing this thing as it's all new to me

Any chance you could help me flash mine, as i havent got a clue what im doing. Which one is best pauls rom or corvus?

Guest premieral
Any chance you could help me flash mine, as i havent got a clue what im doing. Which one is best pauls rom or corvus?

Both roms work well, fast and smooth. I am using corvus mainly because i prefer his status bar and icons but performance wise both are great.

What i would say is that once flashed and set up choose a new launcher as that really helps make the vega your own.

Guest elvis333
Both roms work well, fast and smooth. I am using corvus mainly because i prefer his status bar and icons but performance wise both are great.

What i would say is that once flashed and set up choose a new launcher as that really helps make the vega your own.

Ok cheers mate what launcher would you reccommend getting? How long will it take me to get the rom on my device and when i install the rom will it give me flash or do i need to download that seperatley. Sorry for the noob questions but i really havent got a clue but am looking forward to it.

Guest beegee1962
Ok cheers mate what launcher would you reccommend getting? How long will it take me to get the rom on my device and when i install the rom will it give me flash or do i need to download that seperatley. Sorry for the noob questions but i really havent got a clue but am looking forward to it.

Try VTL Launcher, its really good!

Guest premieral

I have tried all the popular ones and settled on adw ex ,i prefer its options, vtl launcher uses exactly the same framework but has less tweaks however it does give you an ipad like dock along the bottom of the screen which i dont like, when you flash the rom it will give you android market and from here you can download flash. you will find answers and walkthroughs for everything on this forum if you search and if not just ask people are always keen to help.

I have only had my vega since mid feb, i have flashed quite a few roms, recovered from a black screen of death numerous times B) and learnt loads just by trial and error.

The hardest part i found was understanding all the terms the clever :D people use. if i were starting out now i would flash the rom then load a new launcher then download veg tools 3 and instal clockwork mod. Then do a backup of the whole system so that any time you screw up after this you can always go back to that, a bit like a windows system restore point. This thing really is virtually un brickable which first time you screw it you find hard to believe :D but after numerous recoveries you take it a little for granted so just have fun ;)

Guest elvis333
I have tried all the popular ones and settled on adw ex ,i prefer its options, vtl launcher uses exactly the same framework but has less tweaks however it does give you an ipad like dock along the bottom of the screen which i dont like, when you flash the rom it will give you android market and from here you can download flash. you will find answers and walkthroughs for everything on this forum if you search and if not just ask people are always keen to help.

I have only had my vega since mid feb, i have flashed quite a few roms, recovered from a black screen of death numerous times B) and learnt loads just by trial and error.

The hardest part i found was understanding all the terms the clever :D people use. if i were starting out now i would flash the rom then load a new launcher then download veg tools 3 and instal clockwork mod. Then do a backup of the whole system so that any time you screw up after this you can always go back to that, a bit like a windows system restore point. This thing really is virtually un brickable which first time you screw it you find hard to believe :D but after numerous recoveries you take it a little for granted so just have fun ;)

Haha cheers, i hope i enjoy this and dont get to stressed doing it. Thanks for the info ill try follow your instructions. Ordered mine on saturday so hopefully should be here wednesday.

Guest Steven-R-Raith

I decided I couldn't wait, and impulse-bought a Vega from PC World for £250, rather than £200 on Dixons Online. I mentioned I'd be voiding the warranty within ten minutes, and was told that was "like everyone else then" - they're well aware of their target audience, eh?

Guest zzleezz
I decided I couldn't wait, and impulse-bought a Vega from PC World for £250, rather than £200 on Dixons Online. I mentioned I'd be voiding the warranty within ten minutes, and was told that was "like everyone else then" - they're well aware of their target audience, eh?

Cant find anywhere on my vega, box or instructions that mentions the warranty being void due to installing 3rd party software, in fact I think DSG actively encourage it!

Guest Steven-R-Raith

That's true, but it's just a bit of a joke reallly - it's just a euphemism for 'I've hacked it' more than owt, but sounds marginally less geeky :D