The lockups thread

Guest ritdaw

Guest ritdaw

After using my 2x yesterday and today its probably locked up 5-6 times. Twice on the charger and a couple of times during general use. I'm aware from a thread on xda that its not just me suffering these issues.

The question is how can we start to troubleshooting these issues? I'm on FR4 with the custom kernel.

Still love the phone though!

Guest ermacwins
Not just miren the stock browser is causing it too.

I wasnt refering to the browser but as general

EDIT: This is getting ridiculous now. INstalled Angry birds rio then ir trebooted automatically and all the apps I installed fc. Now phone frozen

Edited by ermacwins

Guest ritdaw
Could you post the info from that kernel from the about screen?

P

No probs. I've reflashed the default kernel provided in the kitchen.

2.6.32.9-mck-r1

I'm not sure of the version details of my previous config, but I had the kernel option ticked in the kitchen.

Edited by ritdaw

Guest ermacwins

How do i go back to stock? when I try to restore the recovery when first making backup before flashing mcr, it just hangs on lg logo :D

Guest djmcnz
Could you post the info from that kernel from the about screen?

P

I'm still using fr2 with the test kernel. I've been experiencing this as well, I do use Mirem browser, don't know if this is the cause.

When the phone locks I have no adb connection. I used to think that the phone had crashed but the screen drivers were still working (the screen dimmed after timeout). So I hit the power button a few times and got adb back... and log is just full of these

W/IntentResolver( 1129): resolveIntent failed: found match, but none with Intent.CATEGORY_DEFAULT

See here: http://pastebin.com/VsanbBWA

In that log you'll see the system makes a few attempts to recover by itself and eventually does after about 60 seconds... which is an eternity.

It stack dumped but I can't work out what's in this:

http://pastebin.com/zGfpAVp5

I wonder if this is the same cause as the people experiencing when they thing their phone has shut down.

Is it getting CPU bound trying to sort out the intent resolver issues? Is this a pointer as to why the package manager seems to be so slow on this phone?

Guest wubbla

Hi!

Running the Fr4 ROM I'm also facing exactly the same problem with my new LGOS.

Hopefully someone finds a solution to this problem... :D

Guest ritdaw
Next on my list to investigate once i've posted a bunch more stuff this morning. :D

P

Cool cheers, I'm up and running at the moment with the above detailed kernel without any problems - love this phone.

Guest ritdaw
Hi,

Browser is freezing on some web pages completely... any solution for this?

(LG/Stock Browser and Dolphin Mini)

BR Robert

Which rom are you on?

Guest gensplejs
Just a heads up that i'll probably feature-lockdown this for a short while while I do performance tuning / boosting and look for the pesky 'browser freeze' issue.

My sources are working on getting Gingerbread early too... :D

As always, thanks for your support everyone that's signed up to a subscription or bought my market apps!

P

Known bug in Fr6. Paul is working on it.

Guest sanfran
Known bug in Fr6. Paul is working on it.

I am on FR6 Vanilla Edition. I hope Paul has a fix for it soon :-)

Thanks for you answer!

BR Robert

Guest djmcnz

Okay, so looking more into this I'm increasingly convinced it's resource contention.

I'm now using FR2+R5 Kernel w/EXT4.

I can also "hear" the lockups now. If I play music and reproduce the stalls using a browser, any browser, I can clearly hear the music hiccup. The music interrupts, stops, clicks and pops in time with the lag. For moments when the screen is unresponsive the music stops completely, as the phone starts to respond again (e.g. web page starts loading again) the music starts again in time.

This says to me that we're looking at cpu or i/o contention. It's symptomatically exactly the the same as a PC with full i/o queues. The cpu consumption does not peg at 100% with these stalls but does climb until the stall releases then cpu drops back a bit. Again, pointing to perhaps i/o.

The only thing (really) different from stock on my phone is EXT4 and R5... I'm starting to suspect EXT4 so might revert to EXT3 tonight and try some more.

The problem is getting worse on my phone, almost unusable I would say. I can reproduce it at will now with the music on, before it was sporadic.

Guest dherrero
Fixed in Fr7 and above, problem identified in LG ROM!

P

i ve installed fr7 wiped and then installed everything from scratch and had several freezes. I had to quit the batery to reboot. Any idea ? Do you have the link to fr4?

Guest dherrero
Okay, so looking more into this I'm increasingly convinced it's resource contention.

I'm now using FR2+R5 Kernel w/EXT4.

I can also "hear" the lockups now. If I play music and reproduce the stalls using a browser, any browser, I can clearly hear the music hiccup. The music interrupts, stops, clicks and pops in time with the lag. For moments when the screen is unresponsive the music stops completely, as the phone starts to respond again (e.g. web page starts loading again) the music starts again in time.

This says to me that we're looking at cpu or i/o contention. It's symptomatically exactly the the same as a PC with full i/o queues. The cpu consumption does not peg at 100% with these stalls but does climb until the stall releases then cpu drops back a bit. Again, pointing to perhaps i/o.

The only thing (really) different from stock on my phone is EXT4 and R5... I'm starting to suspect EXT4 so might revert to EXT3 tonight and try some more.

The problem is getting worse on my phone, almost unusable I would say. I can reproduce it at will now with the music on, before it was sporadic.

Same here with fr7,please help