gen1 to gen2 and gen2 to gen1, windows flashing only

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae
WARNING - if you are gen1 and looking at upgrading to Gen2 to use cm7, this method has been superceded by wbaw's tpt method located here : http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...n2-tpt-upgrade/

WARNING - downgrading to gen1 is now completely safe, instructions at bottom of first post
WARNING - please read about what you are doing - if you choose to follow these instructions - be aware of what they do.
WARNING - cm7 will not fit in the 128mb partition layout, choose 136mb or standard layout.
WARNING - back up channel1.nvm and keep it safe, you may never need it, but better to keep hold of it
WARNING - Rom-Manager does not yet have a gen2 recovery.img, you cannot use it to update to gen2 cm7

If your just looking for a Custom ROM for your device then there is a method to put GEN1 Roms WITHOUT changing you device to a GEN2 layout

OK with all the talk going on about gen2, I decided to collate all info here. I hope this is it.

STEP 1:

First off, download this file containing the stock recoveries. http://www.mediafire.com/?kx76glmuxym6adp (Just rehosted here - All credit goes to hecatae for this). This is a simple zip that you can flash through clockwork. So after doing that, you will no longer have cwm but will have stock recovery on your phone (which is needed for gen1 to gen2 conversion.) Reboot to get back to your ROM.

At this point, download SS RLS4b on to your sdcard and leave it there.(Important)

STEP 2:

Now there's many different ways you can partition your phone whilst moving to gen2. You can download hecatae's on the first page of this post - http://www.multiupload.com/MZHDCOTG0Z You will find 2 folders inside this zip file. They will, respectively give you the following partition layouts -
gen2_org_partitions
-------------------
/dev/block/mtdblock4 37.5M /cache
/dev/block/mtdblock5 220.0M /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 162.5M /data

gen2_128mb_system
-----------------
/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 254.5M /datakallt_kaffe's gen_conversion_ver2.zip located at http://www.mediafire.com/?c7ccca95jf2huwr Now this zip has 4 different types of partition layouts -
gen2_org_partitions
-------------------
/dev/block/mtdblock5 220.0M /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 162.5M /data

gen2_128mb_system
-----------------
/dev/block/mtdblock6 254.5M /data

gen2_128mb_system_no_oem
------------------------
/dev/block/mtdblock6 275.4M /data

gen2_128mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache
----------------------------------
/dev/block/mtdblock4 2.0M /cache
/dev/block/mtdblock6 310.9M /data

I've also included this custom partition layout that I used - gen2_136mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache - http://www.multiupload.com/J3HG2OIIQV

gen2_136mb_system_no_oem_2mb_cache
---------------------------------------
/dev/block/mtdblock4 2.0M /cache
/dev/block/mtdblock5 136.0M /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 302.9M /data

This will obviously give you slightly less /data and a slightly larger /system. Choose any one of the above partition layouts and extract the corresponding folder on to your hard drive. It can be located anywhere at all, doesn't matter.

STEP 3:

Now, Inside the folder that you chose, there is an exe file called download_nochecksGen2.exe. Just run that file as Administrator. You will be presented with the following screenNow, on your phone, power it down, remove battery as it's not needed to flash. Now holding down the volume-down key, connect the usb cable.
You will be presented with a screen that says FTM.
Now connect the phone to your PC, and then the Start button becomes clickable after a few seconds, assuming all drivers have been correctly installed.
Just hit Start
It will take 3 minutes or so to completely flash. DO NOT interrupt this process in any way. When this completes 98%, Clockworkmod recovery will start automatically on the phone. Wait for the process to complete.
After flashing is complete, you will get a prompt on you computer screen saying flashing is done.
Now on your phone, select Reboot Recovery, which will flash clockwork. Now, install SS RLS4b in the usual way. (Install zip from sdcard)
After installing that, select Reboot system now.
You will find yourself on the launcher screen. Congratulations, you have a gen2 device!

STEP 4:

If you want to verify this, download kk's Mr. Pigfish app from the market and it will say you have a gen2 device.

That's it.

Please feel free to point out any corrections.

Here's the file http://www.multiupload.com/MZHDCOTG0Z

MD5SUM 185C51C3EDF8E4111044A3814ECEB3C7

these are the basic instructions pulled out of this thread http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...asonera-phones/

Disadvantages of doing this:
cant use any gen1 rom
cant use tpt method
cant use fastboot unless by ADB.
cant downgrade to gen1
Advantages of doing this:
can install cyanogenmod 7.0.1
better network reception
HSUPA enabled, screenshot to follow
850mhz enabled for GSM and 3G

DOWNGRADE GEN2 to GEN1: not needed in my opinion but if you want to

credits to everyone in this thread: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...pgrade-to-gen2/

I have tested out my idea and it works as intended. No Damage to IMEI. This should make the process a fair bit more reliable and less frightening.

Files needed for downgrade
• Gen2toGen1Windows_v2.zip – contains the downgrade tool and Gen1 Firmware. md5:219775DFAB48828919B87E46D9ABFA93
• restore_stock_recovery.zip - flashes stock recovery which enables FTM mode
• recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-blade-gen1-update_signed.zip – this is so you can flash clockworkmod correctly after the downgrade
• http://www.mediafire.com/?iv91d1edrd2iytj or another ROM that supports Gen1 – This is so you can install a ROM after the downgrade

Method
1. Save restore_stock_recovery.zip, recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-blade-gen1-update_signed.zip, and Swedish_Spring_RLS5.zip to your phone's SD Card.
2. Restart your phone with volume down held. From clockworkmod recovery, flash restore_stock_recovery.zip. This will replace clockworkmod for the time being.
3. Restart your phone with volume down held. The words FTM should appear on the screen.
4. Connect your phone to your PC via USB.
5. Unzip the contents of Gen2toGen1Windows_v2.zip to your computer and run download_nochecksGen2.exe. There should be a green “Ready” under the start button. Press the start button.
6. Wait patiently while your phone is upgraded. Do not interrupt this process! Your screen will go black for a while.
7. When the upgrade is complete, a message will appear saying that flashing was successful.
8. Disconnect your phone and remove the battery. Reinsert the battery and turn on the phone (normally, with no buttons pressed). Your phone should boot into clockworkmod recovery.
9. This is IMPORTANT: clockworkmod is now installed to your phone’s boot partition. This means that if you install a ROM at this point you will overwrite clockworkmod. You must now flash recovery-clockwork 3.0.2.8-blade-gen1-update_signed.zip. This will install clockworkmod to the recovery partition where it belongs, replacing stock recovery (FTM mode).
10. Restart your phone with volume down held. It should boot into clockworkmod.
11. Install Swedish_Spring_RLS5.zip (or any other Gen1 ROM) in clockworkmod, and wipe data. Your phone is now Gen1 with Spedish Spring.
12. Check your IMEI and make sure it is the same as the one written behind the battery, and use the Ask Mr Pigfish app if you want to confirm you are running Gen1.

The changes I have made
All I have changed from v1 is to replace recovery.img with the stock gen1 recovery image and update boot.img with the latest Gen1 version of clockwork. The phone automatically boots into FTM mode at the end of the upgrade process – there is no need to intervene until the flasher has completed. As I said above, that means that clockworkmod will overwrite itself if you install a ROM before step 9. If you flash the wrong ROM at that point, your phone would become unbootable. After step 9, everything is back to normal and you can install as many incompatible ROMs as you like. Edited by hecatae

Guest oh!dougal

I suppose that this requires the special ZTE usb drivers.

If so, I'm sure someone would be helped by making that explicit!

Sadly its windows-only!

Guest hecatae
I suppose that this requires the special ZTE usb drivers.

If so, I'm sure someone would be helped by making that explicit!

Sadly its windows-only!

i have windows xp in virtualbox for any windows stuff, updated first post

Guest hecatae
does this upgrade to Gen2 have any other advantages over Gen1 other than mentioned above...?

at the moment this is still being tested by others, the above benefits are what I have found for myself.

Guest Hellek2

Did anyone try 850mhz 3G support in a country that uses it? I can hardly believe that new frequencies can be unlocked by software. I hope this is real because it would be great for me (I travel to argentina frequently)

Guest hecatae

ZTE have done this before, they disable bands, the MF626 and the MF627 are two prime examples, same pcb (printed circuit board)

MF627 http://mymobile.three.co.uk:8080/mymobile/...w_features.html

Key Features Other GSM 1800 GSM 900 UMTS 2100

MF626 http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/en/products/mobile...705_187030.html

How about the frequency of MF626

Frequency:  WCDMA/HSDPA 2100MHz: +24dBm (Power Class3)

GSM/GPRS 850MHz/900MHz: +33dBm (Power Class 4)

GSM/GPRS 1800MHz/1900MHz: +30dBm (Power Class 1)

EDGE 850MHz/900MHz: +27dBm (Power Class E2)

EDGE 1800MHz/1900MHz: +26dBm (Power Class E2)

Guest watercooled

upgraded my gen1 to gen2

was using the rls4 before the flash i backed it up then proceeded with the gen2 flash procedure

once complete i restored the rls4 and all is working great

mr pigfish confirms its a gen2 :D

Guest dadashi

so Gen2 upgrade is good for somone living in America, and it doesn`t have any other advantages like better camera, other hardware functionalitz...

how about disadvantages of going to Gen2 other than lots of moded rom incompatibility? is anything broken or worser after Gen2 upgrade...?

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Maybe another stupid question.

In my wountry, I think there's no chance to have an official update from 2.1 to 2.2 for the Blade... So, with this method, can I install the "official" swedish update on my blade ?

I don't understand the difference between the official Froyo update and the Swedish Spring rom for example. I talk for Gen 1 phones off course.

Thanks.

Guest nicksoph
ZTE have done this before, they disable bands, the MF626 and the MF627 are two prime examples, same pcb (printed circuit board)....

Another example of what makes me question what is going on with the pricing of this phone.

If I asked it to make me a tea, Im not sure if I'd be surprised if it got up and put the kettle on.

Guest reluctant_traveller
Another example of what makes me question what is going on with the pricing of this phone.

If I asked it to make me a tea, Im not sure if I'd be surprised if it got up and put the kettle on.

hey, I used a metal detector app to find a metal clothesline pole holder that was grassed over this weekend.

My wife thought I was mad as I swept the phone over the ground until it started chirruping away at me.

Don't underestimate the lil' Blade.

Guest hecatae
Please make it clear in the first post that this also modifies the default partition layout!

updated, mrradmir has also provided brand new download.exe which no longer need the windows\sysdy path and no longer check for imei

Damn I think I've just bricked it trying this - I installed the stock ROM suggested and it doesn't boot - when I try and get back into Clockwork recovery, I get a white screen that says FTM. :D

Guest hecatae
Damn I think I've just bricked it trying this - I installed the stock ROM suggested and it doesn't boot - when I try and get back into Clockwork recovery, I get a white screen that says FTM. :D

does not sound bricked if shows FTM, the stock rom removes clockwork and replaces it with FTM, so now you run the upgrade

does not sound bricked if shows FTM, the stock rom removes clockwork and replaces it with FTM, so now you run the upgrade

Hum nothing happens - the download.exe software says that the port equals 'null'?

Guest hecatae
Hum nothing happens - the download.exe software says that the port equals 'null'?

so you have started download.exe, taken battery out of blade, hold volume - button, connect usb cable, and the zte diagnostics mode driver does not install?

so you have started download.exe, taken battery out of blade, hold volume - button, connect usb cable, and the zte diagnostics mode driver does not install?

Nope - never happened - however I see there is a driver in that folder - shall I install it manually?

Edit: OK, I installed it manually - now when I hit start, I get the error message - "line1: can't open partition.mbn'.

I notice when I start download.exe that it does tell me that sysdy/files 'is not exist'?

Is that the problem that for some reason the program is not picking up this files folder (even though it's is there in the Sysdy folder.

Edited by cgk

Guest hecatae
Nope - never happened - however I see there is a driver in that folder - shall I install it manually?

install it manually, what version of windows are you using, xp vista 7?

install it manually, what version of windows are you using, xp vista 7?

Windows 7 - see my updated previous post for what the problem might be.

Guest Gounadive

Pretty sure thats the same thing I had when I tried loading my first custom rom. I didn't have clockwork mod installed. Make sure you have installed Clockworkmod.

Ignore post didn't see all those replies :0)

Edited by Gounadive

I AM A MUPPET, I AM A MUPPET

I put it at C: not C:/windows...

I AM A MUPPET, I AM A MUPPET

So kids, the lesson is - This works fine IF YOU CAN ACTUALLY READ

Edited by cgk

Guest Gounadive

When does Clockworkmod get put back in the process ? or is this just a stupid noob question ?