gen1 to gen2 and gen2 to gen1, windows flashing only

Guest hecatae

Guest geegeethatsme

Sorry if I've missed this or misunderstood. If I want to make the Gen1 to Gen2 transfer without making any partition changes, which step from the first post do I leave out or adapt in some way?

Guest sm4tik
Thank you ricardopvz!

I had the same problem (only had a 2MB cache partition) so I switched to this partition layout.

So, if you ALREADY HAVE A GEN 2 PHONE the easy way to change partition layout is:

1. Boot to clockworkmod and do a backup

2. Flash the Stock Recovery with clockworkmod

3. Flash the new partition layout (using the same method as in upgrading from Gen1 but using the files of the new partition layout zip)

4. When it's done you're back to clockworkmod, then restore your backup.

Optional step:

- The clockworkmod version that it's installed is version 3.0.1.4. At this point you can also upgrade to 3.0.2.4. So before starting the procedure grab the update here and put it in your sd card.

- Install the recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2-update_signed.zip then reboot to recovery again (Advanced\Reboot recovery)

- Now proceed to restore your backup

5. Wipe the cache partition

6. Reboot.

Well, I did change the layout but still can't download from the market. So i've needed to go to settings\applications\all and search for market, then clear cache and clear data. Then when enter the market again it began to work.

Soo... just to make sure, can this be done on a factory gen2 (=not converted)?

Guest ricardopvz
Soo... just to make sure, can this be done on a factory gen2 (=not converted)?

Yes. I had a 2mb cache partition and I changed to my partition layout already on a gen2.

Guest sm4tik
Yes. I had a 2mb cache partition and I changed to my partition layout already on a gen2.

Ok, thanks! Now all I need to do is to find a windows machine.. :)

Guest dwl99

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I have found conflicting answers to this question. I have FLBr11b on a 128MB partition. I understand that I will need to change my gen1 phone to gen2. Will Cyanogenmod 7 + Google Apps fit on a 128MB partition or will I need a 136MB one? Thanks.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I have found conflicting answers to this question. I have FLBr11b on a 128MB partition. I understand that I will need to change my gen1 phone to gen2. Will Cyanogenmod 7 + Google Apps fit on a 128MB partition or will I need a 136MB one? Thanks.

You will need at least a 136mb partition. If you are unsure then you can always use the stock partition layout which will cover all bases at the expense of app space of course.

Guest unrandomsam
Thank you ricardopvz!

I had the same problem (only had a 2MB cache partition) so I switched to this partition layout.

So, if you ALREADY HAVE A GEN 2 PHONE the easy way to change partition layout is:

1. Boot to clockworkmod and do a backup

2. Flash the Stock Recovery with clockworkmod

3. Flash the new partition layout (using the same method as in upgrading from Gen1 but using the files of the new partition layout zip)

4. When it's done you're back to clockworkmod, then restore your backup.

Optional step:

- The clockworkmod version that it's installed is version 3.0.1.4. At this point you can also upgrade to 3.0.2.4. So before starting the procedure grab the update here and put it in your sd card.

- Install the recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2-update_signed.zip then reboot to recovery again (Advanced\Reboot recovery)

- Now proceed to restore your backup

5. Wipe the cache partition

6. Reboot.

Well, I did change the layout but still can't download from the market. So i've needed to go to settings\applications\all and search for market, then clear cache and clear data. Then when enter the market again it began to work.

You can replace the recovery.img before you reflash the new partitions. (I.e download the g2 CWM 0.3.2.4 img and copy it over recovery.img and boot.img) works find I must have gone through this process at least 10 or 15 times trying different radio firmware

Guest supermies123

I upgraded from Gen1 to Gen2. How can i check if my phone really is Gen2 now? I can't find Mr. PigFish app from market.

edit. nothing anymore. Found it! =)

Edited by supermies123

Guest jtc42

WTF!? IT GOT STUCK AT 6% AND SAID DOWNLOAD FAIL! Has it bricked??? SHITSHITSHIT! Sorry freaking out :'(

It's not switching on. Im on the brink of tears here :)

Update: Yeah, bricked. I followed this by the book. Whats worse is the warranty is void because I took the screws out to clean the screen ages ago :)

Edited by jtc42

Guest supermies123

In the first post there is now: WARNING - back up channel1.nvm

What is channel1.nvm exactly? I already upgraded to Gen2. I think my channel1.nvm is gone now :)

Guest supermies123
Update: Yeah, bricked. I followed this by the book. Whats worse is the warranty is void because I took the screws out to clean the screen ages ago :)

I think you should still try to have a new Blade from the store you bought yours.

They might not know anything about any kind of unofficial updates there. And they might not even check those screws.

You can get a new Blade if you are lucky.

Edited by supermies123

Guest geegeethatsme
WTF!? IT GOT STUCK AT 6% AND SAID DOWNLOAD FAIL! Has it bricked??? SHITSHITSHIT! Sorry freaking out :'(

It's not switching on. Im on the brink of tears here :)

Doesn't sound great but did you wait long enough? Mine stayed at 6% for ages, which was unnerving, but then shot straight through to 98% when CWM kicked in. Could you try again to get to the FTM screen and re-start the flash?

In the first post there is now: WARNING - back up channel1.nvm

What is channel1.nvm exactly? I already upgraded to Gen2. I think my channel1.nvm is gone now :)

It's a file that is created during the upgrade process and it contains your phone IMEI details. It appears in the same folder as the flasher program, so if you still have that then chances are the file is still there too.

Guest jtc42
Doesn't sound great but did you wait long enough? Mine stayed at 6% for ages, which was unnerving, but then shot straight through to 98% when CWM kicked in. Could you try again to get to the FTM screen and re-start the flash?

Waited for ages but after it said "download failed" the phone disconnected and the Start button on the utility was disabled.

Guest supermies123
It's a file that is created during the upgrade process and it contains your phone IMEI details. It appears in the same folder as the flasher program, so if you still have that then chances are the file is still there too.

Do you mean flasher program which is used to upgrade to Gen2? I already deleted it from my computer :\

But IMEI remains same after upgrading from Gen1 to Gen2, right?

So should I be worried now or do I even need that channel file?

Guest geegeethatsme
Waited for ages but after it said "download failed" the phone disconnected and the Start button on the utility was disabled.

Which might mean that the phone dismounted as a drive that the computer could see? Tried disconnecting everything, battery out, and then re-starting from scratch?

Guest jtc42
Which might mean that the phone dismounted as a drive that the computer could see? Tried disconnecting everything, battery out, and then re-starting from scratch?

Yeah, phone doesnt even boot into anything showing any signs of life now >.< As fails go, this is up there.

Guest Grain

I'm a bit confused wrt what boot modes are available in GEN2. Are the following statements correct?

• With GEN2, booting to fastboot mode IS NOT possible using power+up.
  • With GEN2, booting to recovery (CWM) IS possible using power+down.
  • With GEN2, TPT mode IS available but no image files suitable for that are available yet.

I'm a bit confused wrt what boot modes are available in GEN2. Are the following statements correct?
  • With GEN2, booting to fastboot mode IS NOT possible using power+up.
  • With GEN2, booting to recovery (CWM) IS possible using power+down.
  • With GEN2, TPT mode IS available but no image files suitable for that are available yet.

These are all correct... the image file is in a different format that has not been figured out yet.

Hi all,

Time for a noobie question, I think :)

Do I need adb on my computer before running this gen1 to gen2 upgrade?

Pretty sure I don't, but in this case would it be of any use to get it (for instance in case there is an issue during the upgrade)?

Thanks for your time and knowledge!

Kozure Okami

Guest supermies123

Just to be sure, is this Gen2 upgrade a good one. I mean, could there later be an upgrade which will upgrade to even better and faster Gen2 than this one.

I think what i'm trying to ask, could there be different versions of Gen2 or something?