gen1 to gen2 and gen2 to gen1, windows flashing only

Guest hecatae

Guest Saransh Agarwal

Worked superbly with no problem at all loved the guide thanks to th creator

Edited by Saransh Agarwal

Guest Chewi

Hello all. I got my brand new Blade from Orange UK yesterday. I'm completely new to all this so I'm a little nervous but I am a seasoned Linux developer so I don't feel out of my depth, just in unfamiliar territory. :)

Being a new unmodded Blade, I gather I can skip step 1. I have remembered to copy CM7 to my SD card first though. What I'd like to know is whether the stock recovery tool (is that what FTM is?) will allow me to backup my stock Orange ROM. It seems wise to make a backup but I guess that ROM won't work once I've moved to GEN2? In any case, there's a couple of apps I'm thinking of keeping so I'd like to fish them out if I can. If the stock recovery tool can't do it, can I still do the backup after upgrading to GEN2? Or will changing the partition table prevent that? I'm planning to use the 136MB partition table.

Guest css771
Hello all. I got my brand new Blade from Orange UK yesterday. I'm completely new to all this so I'm a little nervous but I am a seasoned Linux developer so I don't feel out of my depth, just in unfamiliar territory. :)

Being a new unmodded Blade, I gather I can skip step 1. I have remembered to copy CM7 to my SD card first though. What I'd like to know is whether the stock recovery tool (is that what FTM is?) will allow me to backup my stock Orange ROM. It seems wise to make a backup but I guess that ROM won't work once I've moved to GEN2? In any case, there's a couple of apps I'm thinking of keeping so I'd like to fish them out if I can. If the stock recovery tool can't do it, can I still do the backup after upgrading to GEN2? Or will changing the partition table prevent that? I'm planning to use the 136MB partition table.

Yes you can skip step 2. If you start up your phone holding the vol down button, you will get a screen saying FTM.

As for your stock ROM, all stock ROMs are here Just identify your device firmware version. If it's recent, it should mostly be a B20. Download the OUK B20 file from that site. If you want any of the stock apps, you can download that stock ROM and get them out of /system/app/

Once you have converted to gen2, yes you cannot use your stock ROM anymore.

Edited by css771

Guest The Soup Thief
Which partition layout recommended for CM7?

I played it safe / boring and used gen2_org_partitions - this is the standard layout

The 136mb one is fine w cm7 also as stated above

Guest css771
Thanks, css771, that makes things easier. I take it you meant step 1, not step 2? And it's a B10 actually.

Yeah sorry step 1 :)

You will find the B10 stock rom there too. You can't use it though if you move to gen2.

Guest Chewi

Crap. It's been 15 minutes now and it still says RUNNING but has only got to 1/100. :) Hopefully that means it didn't even do anything. What should I do?

Guest css771
Crap. It's been 15 minutes now and it still says RUNNING but has only got to 1/100. :) Hopefully that means it didn't even do anything. What should I do?

It shouldn't take that long ideally. Are you using a windows vm?

Guest Chewi
It shouldn't take that long ideally. Are you using a windows vm?

It's still sitting there. I'm doing it on a Vista SP2 laptop, the only real Windows machine I have to hand. Normally I just use a VM. It still says FTM if that helps.

Edited by Chewi

Guest hecatae
It's still sitting there. I'm doing it on a Vista SP2 laptop, the only real Windows machine I have to hand. Normally I just use a VM. It still says FTM if that helps.

are you running it as administrator?

Guest Chewi

I still haven't touched it. I want to be sure that there's nothing I can do at this point before I disconnect it and see what the damage is.

Guest hecatae
I still haven't touched it. I want to be sure that there's nothing I can do at this point before I disconnect it and see what the damage is.

dont disconnect it, you can restart the program as administrator by right clicking it

If you still see FTM on the screen, the phone hasn't switched to its "download mode" yet, so it should be ok. The actual download only starts at 10%.

At 1%, the downloader is trying to retrieve the current software version to check if it matches the update (obviously, the actual check for this has been disabled in the "nochecks" downloader).

Guest Chewi

Panic over, I think. It worked when I run it as Administrator and I got into ClockworkMod so many thanks for your help. Having some trouble getting CM7 #41 to start (stuck on green android) but I'm probably doing something wrong. It's GEN2-only now so I shouldn't need to use the converter, right? Nevermind, got it working now. Think I needed to put the battery back in! Might sound obvious but this is my first Android phone. :)

Edited by Chewi

Guest The Soup Thief

Hiya - I had been shying away from upgrading to Gen2 but found myself with a spare half hour last night so I grew a pair and did the upgrade. I was stunned by how straightforward it was so I've done a little "how to", simplifying the comprehensive guides Hecatae and css771 presented already. It's here if anyone wants to use it - perhaps someone could read through it and let me know if there are any mistakes. If people find it helpful we can repost as another thread.

1 Download the latest version of kallt_kaffe's Swedish Spring ROMs, eg Swedish_Spring_RLS5.zip. MD5 for this is C801FDAD511944C9CEE7139E866E160C. Swedish spring thread

2 Hecatae has uploaded a tool modified by Radmir which does the upgrade and establishes the memory partition structure for Gen2 here. Download this file, gen_conversion.zip to your PC

3 Open gen_conversion.zip in 7zip or similar. You will find 2 folders, a text file and a zip called restore_stock_recovery.zip . Transfer restore_stock_recovery.zip to your phone's sd and flash it using clockwork

4 Each of the two folders in gen_conversion.zip contains a tool (hacked by Radmir) which establishes the Gen2 structure on your phone. For now let's go for the simpler option of opening the one called to_gen_2_org_partitions , which mimics the original file structure on a Gen1 blade. Extract this folder, to_gen_2_org_partitions, onto your PC hard drive

5 Making sure you are logged on to the PC as Administrator, within that folder you just extracted to, there will be a file called download_nochecksGen2.exe . Run this file - I always get an error message saying "ReadEncrypt.dll fail!" Seems to do no harm to ignore that and click ok... Next the OSF flasher opens up

6 With your phone not connected to the PC, turn of the phone and take out the battery

7 Hold the Volume Down button and reconnect the phone to the PC with the cable (battery still out). Phone will power up and you will see a screen saying "FTM". Release Vol down button

8 On the PC the "START" button on the OSF flasher will have become clickable. Go on... click it!

9 Gradually the Ratio/100 will increase as the flash happens. Likely to take a few minutes. Don't touch the phone. Around 98% clockwork will open up on your phone. Leave it be until you get to 100%, when the OSF flasher will tell you it's all done

10 Only when the OSF flasher tells you it's finished, unplug the phone to power it down

11 With the phone off, reinsert the battery

12 Power on with volume down to boot into clockwork

13 Flash kk's Swedish Spring from your sd card within clockwork

14 Enjoy Gen2

15 On your PC, in the folder you were working from, to_gen_2_org_partitions, a file has been created called Channel1.nvm . Keep a copy of this somewhere safe, just in case you should ever need it...

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Rotmann

This guide is obsolete now, I have just tested wbaw's TPT method here post 250 and up, and it works like a charm, Gen1 to Gen2 and Gen2 to Gen1 through TPT, no IMEI broken! No PC needed, no TPT lost, risks are much smaller (close to none if you check the MD5 of the zip). I suppose it won't work for people who are already on Gen2 because TPT is disabled. They will have to find a solution to revert to Gen1 without breaking the IMEI (to inject channel.nvm at the right time between 6 and 11%). wbaw has some great plans to make his script to modify the partition layout and so on. Woohooo!!! :) From now on, people who are on Gen1 can upgrade to Gen2 and back without any thoughts!

Edited by Rotmann

Guest targetbsp

Nice! Hopefully people can get over the whole gen 2 vs gen 1 thing now as they have the choice of either going back to gen 1 or converting cm7 to gen 1!

Guest hecatae

that's great news for anyone who bought a gen1 device, but for those who bought a gen2 device, this guide is still needed. You cant revert to Gen1 if your device never was Gen1.

Edited by hecatae

Guest Mahendra Soni

Hi guys! Please help me ...

I have Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade Gen1. Today i tried to upgrade it from Gen1 to Gen2. I followed Post-1 on the thread. I downloaded "gen_conversion.zip" and used "to_gen2_org_partitions"

Step 1 and 2 went just fine .. in Step 3 after 100% flashing done, my Blade rebooted into ClockWorkMod Recovery v3.0.1.4 automatically.

Now here i installed SS RLS4b ROM using "install zip from sdcard" in CWM Recovery and got message: Install from sdcard complete.

Now even though rebooting system, my Blade not rebooting into ROM. Its getting into recovery mode.

I removed and re-installed the battery and turned the mobile on but still its automatically getting into recovery mode only. I installed the ROM again after a full wipe but still the same result. My mobile is not rebooting normally now. Even though I repeated Step 1, 2 and 3 again but having the same result. Can't get it out or recovery mode.

Please help me what to do now?

Guest dibbles
Hi guys! Please help me ...

I have Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade Gen1. Today i tried to upgrade it from Gen1 to Gen2. I followed Post-1 on the thread. I downloaded "gen_conversion.zip" and used "to_gen2_org_partitions"

Step 1 and 2 went just fine .. in Step 3 after 100% flashing done, my Blade rebooted into ClockWorkMod Recovery v3.0.1.4 automatically.

Now here i installed SS RLS4b ROM using "install zip from sdcard" in CWM Recovery and got message: Install from sdcard complete.

Now even though rebooting system, my Blade not rebooting into ROM. Its getting into recovery mode.

I removed and re-installed the battery and turned the mobile on but still its automatically getting into recovery mode only. I installed the ROM again after a full wipe but still the same result. My mobile is not rebooting normally now. Even though I repeated Step 1, 2 and 3 again but having the same result. Can't get it out or recovery mode.

Please help me what to do now?

Mine is the same. If you find a solution please write back and I will do the same.