gen1 to gen2 and gen2 to gen1, windows flashing only

Guest hecatae

Guest css771
Has anyone tried the Gen 1 to Gen 2 process using Windows within a Virtual Machine ?

Yes I did try with an xp vm. It failed even with 3 different sets of files. However some other users have reported success. YMMV.

Guest KACE_231

adb.exe doesnt ever seem to recognise my device (only recognised one time), this concerns me in the sense that will my device be recognised by the program mentioned in the tutorial.

Guest TheDOC1

I'm on GEN2 now after a night of struggle.

The short version: My first update went wrong, after it finally succeeded, I couldn't boot CM7. Just flashing the boot.img via fastboot helped. After that I realized that my IMEI was shifted (0000XXX...). I finally restored my IMEI with the Channel1.nvm copy method.

Thanks a lot especially to h3sp4wn for his great support in the IRC. Without him my phone would be a mess now I think.

Guest Len Ash
adb.exe doesnt ever seem to recognise my device (only recognised one time), this concerns me in the sense that will my device be recognised by the program mentioned in the tutorial.

Strongly suggest you get adb working before proceeding. If you provide more (read: complete) details of your setup, someone may well assist.

Guest Drakedian

Guys.. This is as easy as clicking some 1-click-setup.

It worked like a charm, thank you very much.

It turned out that i cant install apps from the Market, i tried to install LauncherPro, and it just exits without starting the download, anyone experienced this ? SS4b no IMEI change. What can cause this ?

It says Download starting, then pause, then start again, then unsuccesful. :/

*i dont know if that problem for me is rom or gen2 related, so i just leave that here. :)

Edited by Drakedian

Guest selecta8998

Guys, be careful. I bricked my blade yesterday despite following the instructions to the letter... I suspect it may be due to modding the partition layout before starting this process. Anyone else have any success doing this process with a modded partition layout?

Luckily it was completely bricked (i.e. totally dead - not even red LED when charging) so I sent it back for a replacement.

Guest selecta8998
There will always be people who will do something wrong...

Thanks mrradmir...

I'm trying to help the community by pointing out that there may be an issue in doing this with a modded partition - to hopefully prevent this from happening in the future to others.

I'm not a newbie to this kind of thing at all. If there was a known issue then perhaps it should be in the OP?

What are you trying to achieve?

Guest mrradmir

Excuse me, do not want to seem rude. There are no issue in doing this with a modded partition. Even if something wrong with partition layout you can restore phone by pressing vol- and vol+ and flashing via old flasher (aka Gen1). Bootloader must be alive of course. Then reflash it as in guide but using original Channel1.nvm.

Edited by mrradmir

Guest TheDOC1

I don't think you can ALWAYS restore anything. If you have the phone on Gen2 and you somehow srew up your recovery, then you've got a brick since you cannot enter fastboot.

Guest selecta8998

Oh, thanks for pointing that out - I wasn't aware that people had already done this successfully with a modded partition :)

I tried as many vol-, vol+ and power button combinations but nothing happened at all... essentially the phone was dead :)

Nevermind, orange have sent me a new one... but thanks for your help anyway!

Guest mrradmir
If you have the phone on Gen2 and you somehow srew up your recovery, then you've got a brick since you cannot enter fastboot.
It's not true.

Guest Saransh Agarwal

I currently have cm7 stable release

and just heard that from now the nightlies would come for gen2

So should i follow the procedure and do the process over cm7 please help

Guest ricardopvz

For those who cannot install apps from the market, use my partition layout

gen2_136mb_system_no_oem_15mb_cache

---------------------------------------

/dev/block/mtdblock4 15.0M /cache

/dev/block/mtdblock5 136.0M /system

/dev/block/mtdblock6 289.88M /data

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dl9wettauw6vk7h

Then in clockworkmod, wipe the cache partition.

Edited by ricardopvz

Thank you very much... I have been hoping for a layout something like this. It seems to cover both bases, allowing CM7, removing OEM while keeping a useable cache incase you wish to remain on SS4b. Am I right in thinking that if an .apk is over 15mb it will still fail to install with this layout on SS4b? as I understand it, Cyanogen includes the cache redirect so this ceases to be an issue?

Just spent an hour reading other threads to get a handle on the cache issue as its something I haven't tinkered with before.

Guest ricardopvz
Thank you very much... I have been hoping for a layout something like this. It seems to cover both bases, allowing CM7, removing OEM while keeping a useable cache incase you wish to remain on SS4b. Am I right in thinking that if an .apk is over 15mb it will still fail to install with this layout on SS4b? as I understand it, Cyanogen includes the cache redirect so this ceases to be an issue?

Just spent an hour reading other threads to get a handle on the cache issue as its something I haven't tinkered with before.

Yes, you are right. But i've been searching the market a bit and the biggest app i found was about 10mb so i don't think that will be a problem. In cyanogen i don't know if it redirects the cache by default, but if does, then the cache size is not an issue.

Edited by ricardopvz

Guest Tripov

Thank you ricardopvz!

I had the same problem (only had a 2MB cache partition) so I switched to this partition layout.

So, if you ALREADY HAVE A GEN 2 PHONE the easy way to change partition layout is:

1. Boot to clockworkmod and do a backup

2. Flash the Stock Recovery with clockworkmod

3. Flash the new partition layout (using the same method as in upgrading from Gen1 but using the files of the new partition layout zip)

4. When it's done you're back to clockworkmod, then restore your backup.

Optional step:

- The clockworkmod version that it's installed is version 3.0.1.4. At this point you can also upgrade to 3.0.2.4. So before starting the procedure grab the update here and put it in your sd card.

- Install the recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2-update_signed.zip then reboot to recovery again (Advanced\Reboot recovery)

- Now proceed to restore your backup

5. Wipe the cache partition

6. Reboot.

Well, I did change the layout but still can't download from the market. So i've needed to go to settings\applications\all and search for market, then clear cache and clear data. Then when enter the market again it began to work.

Guest ricardopvz
Well, I did change the layout but still can't download from the market. So i've needed to go to settings\applications\all and search for market, then clear cache and clear data. Then when enter the market again it began to work.

Thanks for pointing that!

Initially I also could't download apps from the market, but i wiped the cache in clockworkmod and it worked.

I'm thinking making a windows program for users to create their own partition layout, what do you guys think?

Guest ricardopvz
I installed a 128mb version, how do I updrade it to the 136mb one?

thank you for reading.

4 posts before

Edited by ricardopvz

Guest supermies123

Will my IMEI remain the same if i upgrade from Gen1 to Gen2?

Can anyone confirm HSUPA, better network reception and better touchscreen respond?