road trip with vega 3g gps

Guest zennit

Guest zennit

Hi Guys i'm going on a euro road trip and was just wondering what the best setup for the vega would be. Just ordered a Wayfinder gps and was looking at the best 3g dongle deal with roaming data package. The best deal i have found is with tmobile:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broa...adband-booster/

£40 for 200 mb

Would this setup work ok for using google navigate?

Guest trevor432990
Hi Guys i'm going on a euro road trip and was just wondering what the best setup for the vega would be. Just ordered a Wayfinder gps and was looking at the best 3g dongle deal with roaming data package. The best deal i have found is with tmobile:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broa...adband-booster/

£40 for 200 mb

Would this setup work ok for using google navigate?

If you are going to use the Vega for Sat/Nav purposes you may be interested to hear a FREE package called NavFree is expected to be available on Android devices soon. Admittedly the webpage says it was supposed to be available 5 months ago and it hasn't arrived yet. The advantage of this app is you get to download the maps FREE and therefore don't need a 3G connection. There are others available now but they cost around £40.

From memory I think you can use MapDroyd to do this?

I'm sure I used it with my Desire's GPS and no data whilst in Cambodia last year.

Guest simonta
From memory I think you can use MapDroyd to do this?

I'm sure I used it with my Desire's GPS and no data whilst in Cambodia last year.

Hi Pdej.

Was just about to ask this question. How did you tether your Desire GPS? I have the Desire and Vega paired and have "Bluetooth GPS Output" running on the Desire. Tried lots of Bluetooth GPS providers on the Vega but which in general connect to NMEA OK but I never get any GPS data..

Cheers

Guest carl rose

I have the £5 GPS Bluetooth and copilot works great. Took it to disneyland paris , there and back watched a film on the way there on the boat (well, bits of it because of the kids) Just charged it on the way back out of the boat.

Edited by carl rose

Guest gitf@ce

I find copilot live works a treat and has proper maps... the trouble with a lot of the freebies/cheap ones is they use the open street maps, which are quite often missing roads etc...

Copilot scales really well on the Vega... very nice IMHO.

Hi Pdej.

Was just about to ask this question. How did you tether your Desire GPS? I have the Desire and Vega paired and have "Bluetooth GPS Output" running on the Desire. Tried lots of Bluetooth GPS providers on the Vega but which in general connect to NMEA OK but I never get any GPS data..

Cheers

I should have been clearer. I used mapdroyd on the desire. I've only just tried tethering it to the vega and am giving up! Luckily i have the work phone to use for calls when the desires battery dies from the navigating.

EDIT: have you tried 'tether gps'? I just stumbled across this whilst looking for something entirely different. I can't fully test it at the moment,but it looks like it connects to the vega ok (via wifi).

Edited by pdej

Guest simonta

Ah, got it. thanks.

FYI, just spent another hour with it and it suddently started working! Don't know why, just kept pairing and unpairing then boom. Up it comes. Seems stable now I've got them talking to each other.

Using Bluetooth GPS Output (10 minutes time limited trial) on the Desire and Bluetooth GPS on the Vega.

Guest bohemian100
If you are going to use the Vega for Sat/Nav purposes you may be interested to hear a FREE package called NavFree is expected to be available on Android devices soon. Admittedly the webpage says it was supposed to be available 5 months ago and it hasn't arrived yet. The advantage of this app is you get to download the maps FREE and therefore don't need a 3G connection. There are others available now but they cost around £40.

Does anyone know if navfree is available for android yet, i emailed navmii(the developers) but they cant seem to be bothered to reply.

Guest trevor432990
Does anyone know if navfree is available for android yet, i emailed navmii(the developers) but they cant seem to be bothered to reply.

No more news I'm afraid. If their site has RSS feed it'll probably be best to subscribe to that so you get to hear when it comes out :)

Edit:- Spoke too soon. If you go to their support pages there is a section about Android development here which indicates a Beta version came out 5 months ago for UK and it gives an email address of this to contact. If you try and get any response please let us know

Edited by trevor432990