Advice for a new owner of the Advent Vega

Guest Bobby Elliott

Guest Bobby Elliott

My Vega is on its way. I should get it tomorrow. I have a few basic questions.

1. Is the device unusable out of the box?

2. Are there customisations I can make to the stock ROM to make the standard machine usable?

3. If I must install a custom ROM, which one is the easiest and safest to install to give me full functionality?

4. If the device needs to be returned, how to I roll-back to stock ROM from custom ROM?

Any other advice for a new user once you unbox the new device would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Guest spacecadetuk

2. Are there customisations I can make to the stock ROM to make the standard machine usable?

3. If I must install a custom ROM, which one is the easiest and safest to install to give me full functionality?

4. If the device needs to be returned, how to I roll-back to stock ROM from custom ROM?

Any other advice for a new user once you unbox the new device would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi and welcome.

1. Not unusable just not very good.

2.The best customisation is installing a custom ROM, but you could sideload apk's if you wanted to.

3. The easiest ROM is this one http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/ no need to join just use the prebake, its rock solid and gives you everything you need, marketplace etc. Some people have had problems with drivers but it's really not that difficult and if you do get stuck there are a lot of guides here to help and plenty of people here will help and give advice.

4. Returning to stock is easy just download the ROM from the official VEGA website and flash it. If you can install a cutom ROM this will be easy.

Hope that helps and enjoy your new toy.

Guest elvis333

Cheers.

Where did you order it from and when?

Guest Bobby Elliott
Where did you order it from and when?

Ordered from PC World Business for £210 (incl. next day delivery). Slightly more expensive than Dixons and slightly different customer protection.

I ordered Saturday, shipped today, will get tomorrow. I was tempted to refuse delivery and buy the Dixons one but hey-ho, it's only £11 and I get my hands on it tomorrow (unless anyone can advice me against PC World Business purchases).

Guest Mark_L

ok, personally with the benefit of hindsight I would have done this..

1) pack it back in the box

2) take it back to the ...

JOKING LOL :D

No seriously... I'd have done this.

Install the 1.09 firmware

Install clockwork recovery

Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1012609 and downloaded the update there.. its early beta but it works and it would give you android 2.3

Copy the update to the SD CARD

Go into clockwork recovery

Wipe the cache

Wipe the Davilik cache (under advanced options)

Wipe user data

Apply the zip form the SD CARD

Start up and configure away!! (including setting the taskbar to the bottom of the screen)

Download the market/google apps zip from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...ion/Google_Apps (cyanomod 7)

Copy zip to SD card

Reboot to clockwork recovery

Apply the zip from the SD CARD

Start up and configure the market etc

Download smart keyboard pro, calibrate the keyboard, turn off the annoying letters that pop up each time you tap a key on the keyboard

Download SkyFire 3.0 web browser

Install the Toshiba media player (check the thread in this forum)

Set a funky wallpaper.

Errrrrr I THINK thats it .. oh yes and install the Nvidia TegraZone (search for 'Tegra') in the android market.

Then back everything up using clockwork recovery.

Keep an eye on the CyanogenMod ROM for official Vega support and update as appropriate.

Watch this forum, http://www.twitter.com/adventvega and http://www.myadventvega.co.uk and for updates and news.

Now sit back and enjoy one SWEEEEEEEEET tablet.

Edited by Mark_L

Guest Bobby Elliott
3. The easiest ROM is this one http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/ no need to join just use the prebake, its rock solid and gives you everything you need, marketplace etc. Some people have had problems with drivers but it's really not that difficult and if you do get stuck there are a lot of guides here to help and plenty of people here will help and give advice.

Thanks, that seems fine and it is what I will do. But I don't get one thing. How to I install ClockworkMod recovery on my Vega. Is it already rooted? Do I need to download something? The Vega does not come with a working Market so how do I download ROM Manager, which I think I need to install ClockworkMod recovery?

Cheers.

Guest warriorscot

The R8 is pretty much Advent approved so its a good ROM to stick on it. Corvus has a good rom that I am enjoying using at the moment not much different than the R8 at heart just a lot of nice little tweaks and updates.

In terms of other software it is mostly personal choice.